Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

kkennardis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

Thanks again for all your help in providing information to prepare me for this trip. I am having a great time up here at L&D 14

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8391289637_c7159a4221_b.jpg

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM
USM IS
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

Nice angle on that shot! Enjoy 14!

Mike

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM
tpcassc

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

I may be a day late in posting but just arrived in Idaho after a few days along the Mississippi. We travel in a motorhome and began in St Louis heading North. As was said the counts at LD18 were high but even with a super tele you are too far for good shots. We happened along LD14 and were surprised by the location and most pleased by the people. The Mayor and Vice Mayor of LD14 (Larry & Burt) were most cordial. Wear warm shoes/boots as your toes will be cold.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:05 PM
burtcg
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

Tom:
Any eagles around Pella?

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:18 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

burtcg wrote:
Tom:
Any eagles around Pella?

I went to Red Rock dam( Pella) on Friday (18th) .It was very windy. I went to many places known to have eagles but there were very few.
Harsha

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

Imagemaster wrote:
Despite repeating yourself, I guess you forgot about Alaska.

naw, NY city is the best!

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:16 PM
jemkewl

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

itchhhh wrote:
I would be curious to know how LD14 compares to Conowingo Dam in Maryland? I've seen some shots from that area that seem to be as equally close as LD14. I also think their season is longer that LE Clair?

Conowingo has tremendous action in November and December ... there are over 100 balde's ... someone counted 176 when I was there in December (no idea how she counted accurately, but I would easily believe it).

About 20% of the eagles will be in the trees across the river (~1000 yards away)
Another 20% of the eagles will be in the trees behind you (0 yards to 50 yards away)
The rest are sitting on rocks in the water that range from about 400 to 800 yards away

When there are lots of eagles (like in Nov and Dec and even Oct this year), there are lots of fights and close ups and fly overs etc ... you'll hear people all day saying things like "coming out on the left" or "coming down from the tower" or "talons down, coming in on the right". The action is very frequent and there is probably $500,000 worth of photography equipment on location

At this time of year, there are usually just the local resident eagles ... prolly about 10 adults and 10 juve's at a minimum (there is a nest in one of the towers) ... when the sirens go off indicating that the dam is about to turn on large or small power generating units, the eagles, gulls, GBH's etc. all start flying around waiting for the free food to show up (lots of dead fish from the dam). Other than that, you will definitely get photo Ops, but not as many hunting or fishing photos like in Nov and Dec and the eagles are generally hanging out 500 yards away from you. Fun to watch, but too far for detailed large print pictures

If you have a kayak, you can get much closer (without disturbing any wildlife).

shot of the dam here:
http://md.water.usgs.gov/webcam/01578310/

Phone number to get the generation schedule of the dam:
888-457-4076

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

jemkewl wrote:
Conowingo has tremendous action in November and December ... there are over 100 balde's ... someone counted 176 when I was there in December (no idea how she counted accurately, but I would easily believe it).

About 20% of the eagles will be in the trees across the river (~1000 yards away)
Another 20% of the eagles will be in the trees behind you (0 yards to 50 yards away)
The rest are sitting on rocks in the water that range from about 400 to 800 yards away

When there are lots of eagles (like in Nov and Dec and even Oct this year),
...Show more

This is the kind of post which may be in part be a reason why the eagle population dropped from 500 in 2007-2008 to 174 in 2012. Too many people. You want to spread the news, do so in an email or PM.

Oh...lets jump in a kayak and scare the eagles away. Better yet, go on the island.

Ted

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:18 PM
itchhhh

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · L&D 14,...Eagles??? Question??

Thanks for the info jemkewl. I was alway curious about Conowingo and how it compared to LD14. It would "appear" that the eagles around LD14 are much much closer. In fact, I'd say that they can and often fish within 20-30 yards. I'm thinking of the channel between the peninsula where the trees that they perch on are at and the walkway alongside the channel.

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.