Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sigma USB lens adjuster thingy

Robb Mann
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sigma USB lens adjuster thingy

So Sigma has announced a 'calibration/update' device that allows users to adjust focus, update bios and who knows what else. It will be a stand-alone accessory.

Any ideas on how this would work? Shouldn't the lens be on the camera when adjusting focus.

Im curious because Ive had bad luck with Sigma in the past, but im in the market for a 35 f1.4, and theirs seems pretty good.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Sigma USB lens adjuster thingy

I spoke to the people about it a photo+. it supposedly gives you pretty much complete control over the lens capabilities. now for some that can turn out to be a bad option overall. so for me who has not had too many issues with their product that I do use I'll keep it in the back of my mind and that's about all.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:10 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Sigma USB lens adjuster thingy

It will adjust the internal motors and algorithms that translate what the camera tells it to do and what it is telling the camera. From what I understand it will fix the issue of 'it's fine at 15 feet, but frontfocuses close and backfocuses further' very well. Same thing for zooms where it may be spot on at one part of the range, but not at others.

It looks like pretty powerful software.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Sigma USB lens adjuster thingy

like any powerful tool useful in the right hands a potential disaster in others.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Sigma USB lens adjuster thingy

I hope that Sigma is not passing off the adjustments to the customers.

It will not do anything for a misaligned lens or some of the traditional Sigma quality issues, but let's hope for the best.

EBH

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Sigma USB lens adjuster thingy

no they can't pass off the physical optical adjustments but they can give one customized control in how the lens acts for the user.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:29 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Sigma USB lens adjuster thingy

What this will allow besides some o us lens adjustments is firmware updates for the user to use when new bodies are released. Currently Nikon bodies are having issues with live view and auto focus and older Sigma lenses.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:45 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password