Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon D800 Questions

rovin47

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D800 Questions

I have a couple of questions about the D800. 1) when camera is selected to DX mode and the 36 mp are reduced to 15, does the frame rate improve above 4fps and if so by how much? 2) Does switching to DX mode affect the ISO performance ie is the ISO range still between 200 to 6400. Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Hardcore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D800 Questions

rovin47 wrote:
I have a couple of questions about the D800. 1) when camera is selected to DX mode and the 36 mp are reduced to 15, does the frame rate improve above 4fps and if so by how much? 2) Does switching to DX mode affect the ISO performance ie is the ISO range still between 200 to 6400. Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

The d800 will shoot at 5fps in DX mode without the grip and 6 fps with the grip. Don't forget about 1.2x crop which also increases the shooting speed to 5fps. I find the dx crop mode a bit hard to frame in the viewfinder because of the significant crop. The unused portions of the image are greyed out in the viewfinder if you have the focus point light af turned off.

Switching to DX does not affect the iso. You are just cropping the 36 megapixel image in camera. The only time I do this is if I need the higher fps, otherwise I juse shoot 36 megapixels and crop in post.

Viewing both the dx image and the fx image at 100%, the noise will be the same.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:40 PM
rovin47

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D800 Questions

Thanks for the info, you've pretty much answers mt questions.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:55 PM
NikonGuy221

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D800 Questions

Hardcore is right about the framing in DX mode - it's quite tough. I actually tend to shoot DX whenever I'm shooting small subjects like songbirds, as I definitely know I'm going to crop it tight later and effectively make my buffer bigger (it writes the smaller files to the card much quicker) and save the hassle of dealing with large files . I also bought the D4 battery, and that gets the FPS up to 6.
However, I use ALL those glorious pixels whenever I shoot any other subject!

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:11 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D800 Questions

My D800 shows 5fps option when shooting CL mode RAW or JPEGs of any size, FX, DX, 1.2, 4x5.

Jan 20, 2013 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password