Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Storms-a-Comin'

mgauthierphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Storms-a-Comin'

This is Snoqualmie Falls here in the beautiful state in WA. I was at the right place at the right time and was able to capture the incoming thunderstorm brewing in the distance. Let me know what you think!

-Mark

NIKON D700    17.0-35.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    18mm    f/6.3    1/80s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:47 AM
caveguy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Storms-a-Comin'

Right place, right time. Very nice!

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:34 PM
m_deboer
• •
p.1 #3 · Storms-a-Comin'

I really like the mood of this image, great job!

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:40 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #4 · Storms-a-Comin'

That's some great luck to capture the lighting in a 1/80th exposure

Jan 13, 2013 at 04:18 PM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · Storms-a-Comin'

Thanks for the feedback. Kurt765 - there was a definite pattern in the lightning strike. Each one continued for a couple seconds with multiple strikes, so I got a feel for the pattern and when it struck, I just held down my shutter and let the camera click away. I was there for about ten minutes and probably shot 200 pictures. This was the only to turn out.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #6 · Storms-a-Comin'

Nice image Mark. The lightning seems to pale in comparison to the power of the falls, which you've captured wonderfully.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:49 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Storms-a-Comin'

Hey Mark,

What really cool conditions here. This is a very dramatic shot, and the faster shutter speed with the look that gives to the water really adds to it.

As for the Lightning, the only time I have gotten some good lightning shots was this last summer out in the desert, and ended up doing the same as you because I could see a pattern too. So I just kept the remote release pressed down. I shot a couple of hundred shots and I got 2 nice shots and one marginal. Now the funny thing was that on the LCD I couldn't see the lightning strikes, it was only when I got back home that I saw them. So when I was out there I left thinking I had missed my chance at lightning strikes again!

Nice job,

Jim

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:12 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #8 · Storms-a-Comin'

AWESOME!

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · Storms-a-Comin'

Jim, that's funny you say that! I had the same issue. My LCD showed a bright sky and it want till I got home and edited the raw file that I could make out the lightning strike to enhance it. I'm new to both photography and this site, so any lighting, composition, and editing advice is really appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:29 PM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Storms-a-Comin'

Love it...the drama is amazing.

Roman

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:01 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #11 · Storms-a-Comin'

Wonderful shot, the lightning adds another level. It would only be better if you shot it with a Canon, uups, just kidding.
Best wishes.

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:45 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #12 · Storms-a-Comin'

mgauthierphoto wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Kurt765 - there was a definite pattern in the lightning strike. Each one continued for a couple seconds with multiple strikes, so I got a feel for the pattern and when it struck, I just held down my shutter and let the camera click away. I was there for about ten minutes and probably shot 200 pictures. This was the only to turn out.

Nice! My previous lightning attempts have been similar. Click and pray. I too have hundreds of lightning-less photos per lightning photo, and even fewer opportunities to even see lightning here. At any rate, well done. It all works nicely in your image.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:06 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Storms-a-Comin'

Great picture! Must be great to be able to witness such a great scene. May I ask want lens you used? I've noticed that the top corners are leaning outward.

-Quang

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM
gempixel
• •
p.1 #14 · Storms-a-Comin'

What a great shot! so much going on! I love seeing it.

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:28 PM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #15 · Storms-a-Comin'

Thank you, Kurt765 and gempixel! Quang, I used the cheapy Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:36 PM
mcaruso753

p.1 #16 · Storms-a-Comin'

Wow, lots of power/energy in that image. Love the photo!

Mark

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password