Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Photorph

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

This is by far the lowest price I have seen on the 1dx. I have been considering this body for a while, but just waiting to see where the price goes.

I don't really feel too comfortable ordering from ebay. I usually order all my gear from adorama, BH or Amazon. I'm sure we can all agree this is quite a bit of change for a camera body. Bigvalueinc is supposedly a canon authorized dealer. Would you purchase this from them??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230828116912

Any insight would be helpful. I have searched this forum and found both positive and negative comments about them, most seem to be positive.

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

It's always going to be a gamble. Are you willing to order and hold your breath until it arrives?

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:29 AM
Photorph

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

I would prefer not to gamble with a six thousand dollar body, but then again I think if there is anything fishy (gray market, already opened box, etc) I can always return it.

They do have a return/exchange policy.

I went through the same dilemma with my mark III when it was $2700 at big value vs $3000 at other retailers. I went with Amazon and just opted for paying $300 more to be safe.

But this is almost an $800 difference, that can be used for something like a sigma 35mm 1.4! I'm up at 2:45 a.m with my mouse on the "buy it now" button, but I keep backing off because I would hate to deal with something being out of line.

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:39 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Photorph wrote:
..., but then again I think if their is anything fishy (gray market, already opened box, etc) I can always return it.

Well, this is were the big risk is IMO. I'm sure they will send you the correct camera, but what if they refuse to take it back for whatever reason? It might be a long and frustration battle.

You also have a option to wait a bit and see whether someone else you trust more is going to reduce the price on the EOS-1D X since the sub 6000$ point is now broken into. That would be my advice.

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:52 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Per my experience through a few friends and through comprehensive readings of transactions with this seller, I don't think there should be any problem getting your camera. The issue with this company is how they deliberately mislead their buyers into believing they'll get Canon USA warranty.

Interpreting the Canon warranty enclosure comes to the conclusion that end user will get one year warranty from the date of purchase if the product comes with a Canon USA warranty card. Practically, you buy from an authorized dealer for that. But it's also been reported that some people got their item from BigValueInc with a Canon USA warranty card, while some others did not.

In short, you may or may not be able to claim warranty service from Canon USA.

Now, that's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:52 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Photorph wrote:

So the absolute nightmare would be that they have your $6000 and your camera.

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:59 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Paying with a credit card (not debit card), makes it almost impossible that you will get ripped off.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Photorph

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

I do want a US version with warranty. After going through every single negative review they had on eBay, I don't feel comfortable with ordering from this company. There seems to be a lot of issues with warranty card not being included in package.

I have decided to just take the safe route and go with Bhphoto as they have a promotion going on right now that gives you an extra battery and a CF card.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who goes through with Bigvalueinc and purchases the 1dx. Looks like they already sold 13 in the few hours it has been up.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Its grey market.

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:28 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

After having a personal bad experience with an ebay seller with a 99.3% rating, I won't be buying a thing from anyone with a 99.5% or below rating anymore.

Edit: And I must add: Ebay did absolutely nothing to help me.

Edited on Jan 13, 2013 at 03:46 PM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Actually I take it step further and don't buy anything on Ebay at all. It's a breeding ground for scams.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:28 PM
campyone
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

For that kind of money I probably wouldn't buy from someone with less than a 99% rating on thousands of transactions, at least not without asking some questions such as "where are you?" "what's your street address and phone number?" etc. I realize these things don't make it all foolproof but before sending the $6,000 I'd like to know more about them than that they're located in the United States.

I will say that I just bought an Olympus XZ-1 camera as a "keep in the car" camera from a place that was about $100 less than I saw it anywhere else. I was concerned but figured at worst I was out only a couple hundred dollars. For $6,000 I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

ggreene wrote:
Actually I take it step further and don't buy anything on Ebay at all. It's a breeding ground for scams.

For big tickets items, certainly. For center pinch lens caps, LCD covers/protectors, and various cheap odd and ends (that I can't source locally), it's great.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:37 PM
amyandmark3
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

I wouldn't buy anything from this store. Not saying they're thieves, but they are at least deceptive. Also, here's their return policy you can find in their "store policies." Pay attention particularly to the last sentence:

Returns: Our return policy is within 7 days of your package receipt. Customers who wish to return their package must obtain an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number from one of our customer care representatives. 888-477-1712. All returns must be in perfect condition, in original manufacturer´┐Żs boxes, with all originally included accessories, and blank warranty forms. Shipping and Handling charges are not refundable under any circumstances. Returns are subject to a minimum 5% restocking fee.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:41 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

If it seems too good to be true....

Aka - there's no way in hell I'd buy from them. 66 neg feedback in the past month is enough to scare me away. To be fair, you're more likely to get a good deal than not (I mean, they do have overall high feedback), but are you willing to roll the dice on $6000 ?

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Take a look at their reseller ratings using the following link:

Reseller Ratings

Looks like you either get the item you ordered with no issues,

OR,

it's grey market,
open box,
no warranty card,
not what you ordered,
not at the agreed upon price,
shipment cancelled/recalled by them,
a hassle getting your refund, etc, etc, etc

with crummy customer service to boot.

Buy from B&H - Henry watches this forum and will make it right
Buy from Adorama - Helen watches this forum and will make it right

Email either of these with the specifics on any issues and they just handle it.

I took an ethics class recentlty and the one takeaway from the class:

"You don't have to ask permission to do the right thing the first time"

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

amyandmark3 wrote:
I wouldn't buy anything from this store. Not saying they're thieves, but they are at least deceptive. Also, here's their return policy you can find in their "store policies." Pay attention particularly to the last sentence:

Deceptive is the right word and that's the problem I have with this company.

Discussions at most places turned out to be whether or not you really need warranty, which is not the point. I have no problem with them if they didn't advertise their items as having Canon USA warranty.

I know three persons who bought a camera from them. One of them didn't get a Canon USA warranty card. They just gave him a link to Canon website and told him that he should be able to register. In the end, they offered a full refund, 10% coupon or extended warranty. (Note here that we all know how Canon warranty works.)

Another friend, he got a camera with a fake warranty card. It's a card with only top part without the bottom part that contains serial number. With careful inspection, it's kinda obvious that they printed these cards on their own. (The ink color is different.) Anyhow, the guy just didn't care.

For the last one, he got a camera with a genuine Canon USA warranty card and he's now a happy camper.

Still, to me, I feel that this company basically 'steals' from Canon USA. I use the word 'steal' because I believe Canon USA, more or less, will have to fix some of the equipment that have been sold by them. And they can still continue to sell stuffs far cheaper than authorized retailers.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

I would not buy an expensive camera like this from anybody except a well-known photo shop or well-known internet photo shop.
I did buy the 1DX about 3 weeks ago here in Bangkok for $ 6180

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I would not buy an expensive camera like this from anybody except a well-known photo shop or well-known internet photo shop.
I did buy the 1DX about 3 weeks ago here in Bangkok for $ 6180

Agreed. It's a serious investment in capability. I need to have confidence in both my camera shop and in Canon Canada. As a member of CPS Canada, I bought my 1DX in August 2012 for $5950.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:11 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1dx for $5936.02 at BigValueInc, what to do??

Wahoowa wrote:
Deceptive is the right word and that's the problem I have with this company.

Discussions at most places turned out to be whether or not you really need warranty, which is not the point. I have no problem with them if they didn't advertise their items as having Canon USA warranty.

I know three persons who bought a camera from them. One of them didn't get a Canon USA warranty card. They just gave him a link to Canon website and told him that he should be able to register. In the end, they offered a full refund, 10% coupon or
...Show more

The reason companies like this can sell product at a discount is largely of Canon's doing. Canon corporate awards huge discounts for volume purchases, thereby creating motivation for authorized dealers to buy more stock than they can to sell before the 30/60/90 invoice is due. So dealers unload the extra stock out the backdoor to liquidators. Hence BigValue has a mixture of official USA imports and imports from other countries. In the end, Canon corporate made out like bandits and I don't think they care much where product went as long as they got their money. However, the buyer needs to realize the discount they received was at the cost of no USA warranty.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password