Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Where to Put G1X posts?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Where to Put G1X posts?

The camera isn't a DSLR.....but not sure it should be in the 'alt' forum either.....so anyway....here goes....

I have had mine for about three months now and I think I know the pros and cons of it. I am interested in other owners opinions now some time has passed since the release date.

The positives for me is that it is still a very portable camera......it is pretty good for street / coast / cityscape photography...and produces great A3 prints up to ISO 800.

I am disappointed in that in many respects the G10 seems to be holding it's own (for me anyway). My G10 slips into my pockets with ease.....I think it has better build quality..and it is a camera I have used up to ISO 200 for colour or ISO 400 if looking to get B+W.....and these settings give excellent A3 prints. And that is all I need really..I rarely need to use the G1X above ISO 400. I often carry a film RF with ISO 50 film....no problems with that.

So..the main question..anyone up for suggesting any specif ways in which to maximize IQ with this camera...for example...optimum aperture or ISO setting? I am glad I bought it...but only just.....to me the G10 does a lot right!!

Jan 13, 2013 at 04:39 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Where to Put G1X posts?

Anthony, I think you'll get more response on DPR's Powershot forum - although responses will be all over the place, just like in the 5D3 poll here Look for past posts by Marco Nero to see all the ways he uses his G1X.

You are probably familiar with my opinion of the G1X as I've posted it several times in threads we've both participated in. I think the G1X is the camera the G10 should have been. I was very happy with the G10 when it was what was available. You asked about ways to maximize IQ and that is the great thing about what the G1X' big sensor brings - you don't have to worry about maximizing IQ, just use raw and auto ISO and shoot. Unlike the G10 where you were limited to ISO 200 and by really shallow dynamic range, you can consider the G1X an APS C camera and treat it accordingly.

In 10 months of using it now I've found its IQ to be good enough to be a reliable 2nd body to my DSLRs. For example if I have a macro or 100-400 on my main body. Or to use with its underwater housing, or to use the articulating LCD for odd angles, or just to carry out on the town at night. I like the G1X IQ better than the 7D's but that's probably due to way I use each body, their sensors are essentially equivalent objectively. For me, Luminous Landscape should have waited for the G1X to post their I'm not kidding article.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Where to Put G1X posts?

Anthony, as far as where to post, I think we've established (unofficially, de facto) that the "Canon-mount SLR" forum is the place for discussion about all Canon digital cameras. I jumped from G1 to G10, but haven't gone any further with compact cameras, so I can't say anything about maximizing quality with a G1X. However, I've noticed that the G10 in program exposure and auto ISO makes very good decisions for aperture and ISO to yield best quality, provided I'm shooting hand held (and with a pocket camera I virtually always am). On a tripod, of course, I would always go for base ISO. Optimum apertures seem to be about a stop down from wide open, or it may be that the camera "knows" that a balance of minimizing camera shake (with IS engaged) vs greatest lens resolution and ISO quality impact works out to that region.

So, I wonder if the G1X does similarly well when left to its own decisions. What have you found in your own shooting? I'm definitely interested in getting a larger sensor compact at some point.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #4 · Where to Put G1X posts?

I've come to use P mode and auto ISO more and more because the G1X makes good decisions and it is much more forgiving than the G10 in post processing adjustment. Also, I'm more likely to be using it as a point and shoot than my 5Ds When I want to take more time with an image, I switch to Av mode and adjust aperture for the DOF I want. Its sensor size allows for somewhat shallow DOF which can bite you if you are used to a G10 sized sensor. The sensor size allows you to use f8 or f11 when needed. I also like the live histogram and the manual exposure bias knob to fine tune exposure - expose to the right like a 7D. The G10 has live histogram as well, a very nice feature.

I always shoot raw and process in Lightroom. Lightroom has lens corrections for the G10 but not yet for the G1X. I read somewhere that you should apply a distortion correction of +4 for 15-22 mm focal lengths in the G1X. The G1X has lens correction formulae, at least for the wide end, embedded in the raw file so additional corrections may not be needed.

The G1X has a lot of scene modes including HDR that yield JPEGs and it is supposed to have a good JPEG engine but I've yet to use it except for photostitch mode. I can quickly summarize reviews of the G1X: "I don't like it because of X, Y, or Z, but it sure takes nice pictures!".

I've posted these before.

Canon PowerShot G1 X    15.1-60.4 mm lens    15mm    f/2.8    1/15s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon PowerShot G1 X    15.1-60.4 mm lens    19mm    f/3.5    1/15s    500 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:53 PM
anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Where to Put G1X posts?

I read someone had tested the g10 and found the best aperture for IQ to be f3.6 X 100 ISO.....so I tended to stick to that via aperture priority when out and about. That gives sharp A3 prints. I sometimes used ISO 400 for B+W as the image has a fine grain B+W film look.

I am tending to use f5.6 X IS0 160 for the G1X in aperture priority....again...sharp A3 prints; and I suspect I could get an A2 from it looking at some of the crops I do. I have to admit that after a brief burst of enthusiasm when I bought the camera I don't use it much .... still more likely to take the G10 out!!

However.....I intend to get a Cokin filter system (already bought the 58mm adapter for other filters) and will be using it more seriously soon. I will also be putting up a web site of my images with this and my G10 based on my trips around East Kent...I have left the day job now and will have some spare time soon!!

As for ultimate IQ......I will try taking a monopod with me although I have a good photo taking technique anyway...probably from the days I was a keen archer...breath control and all that!! I am constantly experimenting in LR4 so probably haven't nailed that yet. I am doing a studio shoot with a nude model soon with strobes and I will use the G1X for a couple of dozen shots.....I will also be using a couple of rolls of Agfa MF ISO 25 film..so that will make an interesting comparison...eventually!!

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:17 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password