Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cheerleading

newseum
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheerleading

My daughter has a competition tomorrow. I am undecided as to what lens to take. A few facts:
1) 5D3 body for sure!
2) I have shot many times in the past using 5DII and 1DIII, also the 70-200 IS, and a couple times with the 70-200 IS II. All is good.
3) It is indoors.
4) I have acquired the 24-70 II and a 135L.
5) I can shoot from the edge of the stage. This is a important fact, as many of you know.
6) My wife shot video today with the new ipad. Looks OK. I have shot video with the 5DII and 5DIII and its great, of course. But she is happy with todays video and I LOVE action stills! (My daughter is a flyer and also does alot of stunts).
7) I will be focusing on my daughter, I'm not the team photog(but many a parent wants me to be).

So, I'm torn. The 24-70 II, the 135L or the tried and tested 70-200 II. I guess I'm leaning toward the 135L or 70-200.

Bonus. I will post pics! Here is one from a pep rally out back of the gym.

Pep Rally

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheerleading

It seems you would be in the best position to know which focal length would best serve you. What is the specific nature of your quandary? What are the pros and cons for each choice as you see them? If you want to shoot with an aperture wider than 2.8, then clearly the 135 is the way to go, but are you as likely to capture what you want to capture without the zoom capability? If most of your shooting to this point has been with a 70-200, what leads you to consider the 24-70? Looking at the shot you've posted, I'd think you'd want to go tighter rather than wider. Lots of wasted space. But I don't know what you're after and you haven't said.

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:59 AM
newseum
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheerleading

Yeah, I guess I'm a little nervous about not having the flexability of the zoom if I go with the 135. But I'm anxious to try it out. Since I'm focused on only one subject, then the wide is out. That pic is SOOC and I would crop it a little tighter for sure.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:02 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheerleading

I wouldn't think twice and I would have the 70-200 f2.8 set to go. After the meet I would switch over to the 24-70 to get candids of my daughter and the team.....

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:27 AM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheerleading

135L and crop?

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

newseum
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheerleading

All good suggestions. Thanks much. Looks like I have something to sleep on tonight.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:47 AM
3iron
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheerleading

24-70 and 70-300 and your bases are covered. The fixed lens is great if you know you be at that specific distance. Fixed lenses are problematic for me at unknowable distances.
It looks like you have plenty of light on the stage so you are good to go.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:49 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cheerleading

newseum wrote:
...Since I'm focused on only one subject, then the wide is out. That pic is SOOC and I would crop it a little tighter for sure.

I think it's too tight now. Well...wrong orientation, actually. With only the hands of her team mates showing, there's a weird lack of "context" in the shot. Framed more tightly it would be even worse; is she falling? Did she jump out a window? Etc.

By using a vertical orientation, you could get less of the empty space beside her yet still get more of her "assistants" in the frame and thus have more context.

So because of the framing versatility, I'd lean toward the 70 - 200.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:35 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cheerleading

Oops, double post. See below.

Edited on Jan 13, 2013 at 08:17 PM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:11 PM
jrscls
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cheerleading

I used to shoot my daughter's competition chear leading team a few years ago. At that time, I only had a 40D, and I either used a 85 f/1.8 or my 70-200 f2.8 IS.

If I had to do these again, now with current equipment, I would definitely use my 5D III and 70-200 f2.8 IS II, which would be a great combo for low light indoor action shots. I would probably only use a 24-70 on full frame for group shots of the girls.

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:13 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password