1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · RX1 - Resolution and DOF at infinity

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · RX1 - Resolution and DOF at infinity

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I will dig up those images and post something in a bit. As you say, contrast in that particular crop is the main difference. The DP1 Merrill does have issues with shadow gradation if one is being critical. At 100%, the Nikon D800E+28 1.8G resolves more actual detail in many of those crops. The crop with the fire hydrant is one place where the 28 1.8 lens performs poorly and is out-resolved by the Sigma. The fact that one can even compare the Sigma so closely to the D800E is really the point. Again though, I'm certainly not claiming
...Show more

I hope you don't count me among those people The Sigma is very well matched, lens to sensor. This is harder with the D800 (but possible). A full-colour 14MP image is also not going to match a 36MP one-third-colour image for resolution, but it does come close, and beats it in colour resolution, of course. My concern is more that I think a very light AA-filter would have helped the results. I never thought I would say something like that, but the extreme sharpness leads to some pretty extreme sampling artifacts on occasion.

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · RX1 - Resolution and DOF at infinity

Its not lack of AA filter, thats pure processing thing. I have some files from SD1 and only set to -2 they look "normal". Might be wrong but I think -2 is actually 0 in SPP5.

Btw. those brown patches are maybe just wrong NR, that sensor is tiny bit noisy and Sigma has really poor NR algorithm. As I said, what it really needs is proper RAW developer.

Yea and files from RPP looked nicely, if someone has Apple. Tho I dont know if it can handle DP2M.

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · RX1 - Resolution and DOF at infinity

carstenw wrote:
I hope you don't count me among those people The Sigma is very well matched, lens to sensor. This is harder with the D800 (but possible). A full-colour 14MP image is also not going to match a 36MP one-third-colour image for resolution, but it does come close, and beats it in colour resolution, of course. My concern is more that I think a very light AA-filter would have helped the results. I never thought I would say something like that, but the extreme sharpness leads to some pretty extreme sampling artifacts on occasion.

Ha ha! Yes, part of that extreme sharpness look from the Sigma is simply over processing. The other culprit is an enhanced contrast effect, particularly in the darker tones. It really is a camera which one must nail exposure. When you nail it, the results can look phenomenal imo. It has it's warts and issues just like any other camera - maybe moreso in some respects.

The D800/E is very picky with lenses as we know. Of course, you know my biggest gripe with that camera is the Live View. For my studio/ commercial work, I really need Nikon to add an "effects" on/off type option when using Live View so one can have it either reflect ones exact settings (as it does now) OR have it automatically give one an auto adjusted preview regardless of settings (which is what is needed when using Live View + Strobes in a darker environment and one has the exp. set at say 1/250 sec. @ F8). As it is now, one has to fight the camera to make things work under that situation (and that's not even taking into the frustration of dealing with the line skipping LV preview). It's really an odd oversight given the camera is likely used by a lot of commercial/ studio photographers. I really hope at least the first issue is fixed in a firmware update (I had to get rid of the D800E for this reason but if it gets fixed, I will buy another one asap!).

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:00 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · RX1 - Resolution and DOF at infinity

Paul Gardner wrote:
Freziess: I am perfectly happy with my Nikon 24mm F1.4G on the D800E. I am trying to decide on a replacement for my G1X for casual shooting, and on a long grueling mountain hike where I don't wish to carry the whole set of gear. (tripod, shutter cable, gear bag, etc.) At 78 I'm slowing down and 3000-5000 ft gains are getting tough.

I know it may seem silly. But hav enou tried the rx100. Depending how big you print it's a pretty great camera that weights nothing. 13x19 at base iso yields sharp great results IMO. I believe dxo scores the sensor higher in every regard than the g1x.

Of course if you're selling fine art or printing large. By all means dismiss this thought.

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · RX1 - Resolution and DOF at infinity

I resolved the weight problem for this goaround. I stopped at the camera store and picked up an RX100. The weight and size difference over the G1X is substantial in the hand and pocket. Its now on the charger. So we will see what the end of the year brings. The G1X is already sold.
Regards
Paul

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · RX1 - Resolution and DOF at infinity

Well I've had the RX100 out for some landscape shots now and the results are about the same as the G1X except that the dark green clover on shady hillsides at about 200 meters turn to mud at ISO 800 f8 1000. The noise level is high enough that it really effects the image especially off center. I'm wondering if Sony is processing the raw before storing, or if their scan of the sensor is flawed. Bare tree limbs against the sky seem to be reasonable but not execellent. Very careful processing with PS 7.3 playing with hue and saturation and Imagenomices will improve the file slightly. Inside of 30 ft the file is execellent at ISO 200. Honestly I feel the G1X produces a better raw file but the Sony is a joy to carry. Hopefully a firmware update will help.
Regards
Paul

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:33 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · RX1 - Resolution and DOF at infinity

Paul Gardner wrote:
the dark green clover on shady hillsides at about 200 meters turn to mud at ISO 800 f8 1000. The noise level is high enough that it really effects the image especially off center.

Regards
Paul

How did you expect anything to be sharp at ISO 800 f/8 with that small sensor? It is equivalent to f/22 on the RX1 in terms of diffraction, and ISO 6400 in terms of noise.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.