Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Upgrade to the D4?

RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrade to the D4?

I am now using the Nikon D3, I shoot with one body an have a second as a backup. On very rare occasions I will use both bodies, one with a 24-70 and the other with a 70-200 for a long aisle so I can get the bride and father long and the grooms first look expression short. My question is the D4 worth trading/selling both D3's plus a wad of cash to get a (1) D4 and use my old d700 as backup, since that's all I really need a second body for. Is the D4 worth it?
(Please don't suggest the D800, I have no interest in that body)
Thanks!

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrade to the D4?

The short answer, IMO, is no. Unless video is a big part of your wheelhouse, or you do a lot of no flash reception work. Even then, the D3s is probably a better choice.

I've owned the D700, D800 (currently), D3, D3s (currently). I use my 24-70 on the D3s and my 70-200 on the D800. i l do a lot of OCF at my receptions, so the DR on the D800 is ridiculously good for that application. But i understand why you don't want the 800...

Why do you want a new body? How is your current gear failing you that the D4 will fix? You don't need to answer me, these are just the best questions for you to ask yourself...

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrade to the D4?

The AF speed is what interests me most about the D4. I owned a D3s, and when I had the chance to sell it and pick up another D3 plus put $1400 cash in my pocket, i couldn't justify the D3s as being $1400 better than the D3s. But I do notice that the D3 is not quite as good as the D3s at focusing in extremely low light. Maybe a touch of NAS?

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrade to the D4?

I would go with the D3S over the D4 just due to build differences. The D3S has dual CF card slots instead of the XQD slot on the D4. If you shoot professionally, it's easier to handle the the D3S with dual CF most times. D4 has better performance on the XQD slot which if you're shooting with one, you should probably use it as your main medium. AF I think is better on the D3S though but it's really close IMO. I shoot Canon myself and have some similar concerns over my gear or whether or not Nikon is worth the change. I do however like the backlit buttons on the D4 and think the ergonomics of the D3S and D4 are great. However that doesn't mean everything to photos or shooting style.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrade to the D4?

I've upgraded from a D3s to a D4, but, I'm not a wedding photographer, only do second shooter stuff for a friend. The D4 acquires focus faster than the D3s in low light. Also, the ergonomics of the D4 are far superior. You can make adjustments on the fly much fast than a D3s--never have to take your eye off the VF. IMO, the D3s is a little better at high ISO, while the D4 is superior in most all other areas.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrade to the D4?

I have owned: D700, D3, D3S and now shoot with the D4. I honestly can't tell you if you should/shouldn't buy one to replace your D4. I can however give you some info to help your decision. Just remember, if you get the D4 you also need new batteries and XQD cards. I LOVE my D4. Best camera I have ever used.

Things I noticed:

1. Feels a lot more comfortable than the D3S.
2. The sound of the shutter is awesome (not sure how to explain this)
3. Live View is smoother and looks much better than the D3S
4. AF acquisition is faster than the D3S (have not shot anything moving fast so I can not comment of accuracy)
5. Video @ 1080p looks AMAZING!
6. I LOVE the XQD cards. They are the future. Faster, stronger and no pins.
7. The rubber joysticks for horizontal and vertical shooting are a godsend (I think Canon has these).
8. I love that it has the ability to display grid lines like my old D700. The D3S required a separate focusing screen for this.
9. The lens mount has a very secure fit. Tighter than the D3S and D700.
10. The new screen is super sharp and much easier to see outdoors.
11. VR can be activated via the AF-On buttons!!!! So awesome! (lisy78 would love this)
12. Metering has greatly improved. (Exposure and WB)
13. ISO - Only marginally better. At most 1/2-3/4 stop. Colors and DR are much better at hi-iso vs the D3S.
14. AF Speed - Much improved. It locks on anything! Even with the slowest focusing lenses.
15. DR - Much improved.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrade to the D4?

LivLif wrote:
13. Colors and DR are much better at hi-iso vs the D3S.
14. AF Speed - Much improved. It locks on anything! Even with the slowest focusing lenses.

I've never shot with the D4 but these two, to me, sound like the biggies.

I will say that I have looked closely - I was considering purchasing the D4 at one time - at some high-ISO comparison shots of the D3S up against the D4 and the D4 kills at high-ISO dynamic range.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrade to the D4?

See, the XQDs and battery alone are enough to keep me from even considering the D4. I'm not about to drop an extra grand plus on peripherals.

The AF and high ISO performance of my D3s are ridiculously good. Whatever marginal improvements the D4 offers, if any, certainly aren't worth $2500.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:14 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrade to the D4?

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
Whatever marginal improvements the D4 offers, if any, certainly aren't worth $2500.

Well ... Used, I've seen the D3S going about 4000 at the camera shops and D4 going about 5500. So 1500 difference for faster AF and noticeably improved high-ISO dynamic range and color.
For me, if I was gonna spend 4000 I might go 55.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:05 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrade to the D4?

Yea used d3Ss are going for around $3500-3700. Used D4s are around $5000-5200. So not that much of a difference. The price on XQD cards and batteries has also dropped quite a bit.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgrade to the D4?

LivLif wrote:
The price on XQD cards and batteries has also dropped quite a bit.

Someone else came out with XQD lately ... Lexar, wasn't it?

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:43 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgrade to the D4?

D. Diggler wrote:
Someone else came out with XQD lately ... Lexar, wasn't it?

Yup! I'm not sure on the prices, but the Sony ones are much cheaper than they were when they were first released.

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:38 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upgrade to the D4?

LivLif wrote:
I have owned: D700, D3, D3S and now shoot with the D4.

Is the D4 a smaller body in the hands as compared to the D3S or not really?

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:26 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Upgrade to the D4?

D. Diggler wrote:
Is the D4 a smaller body in the hands as compared to the D3S or not really?

Not sure if its smaller. It fits perfectly in the hand though. I mean perfect. The D3S was nice. Put the D4 is so much more refined.

Jan 13, 2013 at 04:37 PM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Upgrade to the D4?

The D4 and D3s are virtually the same size in your hands.
I had both at the same time and agree that the user interface (especially the focusing contros) has improved which prompted me to sell off my D3s and get a 2nd D4.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:33 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Upgrade to the D4?

The biggest issue with a pro body is usability and memory cards. Why not just use 2 of the same type? Why split between 2 cards? That never made sense to me. Funny thing, only a few cameras have it right like the D3S, 1DX, D600, and a few more. Pro bodies should be a "get up and shoot" type of camera that will just perform.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:26 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Upgrade to the D4?

whtrbt7 wrote:
The biggest issue with a pro body is usability and memory cards. Why not just use 2 of the same type? Why split between 2 cards? That never made sense to me. Funny thing, only a few cameras have it right like the D3S, 1DX, D600, and a few more. Pro bodies should be a "get up and shoot" type of camera that will just perform.

D800 uses different cards and, I believe, most Canon bodies. I think it is more common than not.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:46 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Upgrade to the D4?

I'd say no... all of my friends that have switched from D3's to D4's seem to say that it hasn't been worth it.

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Upgrade to the D4?

D. Diggler wrote:
Well ... Used, I've seen the D3S going about 4000 at the camera shops and D4 going about 5500. So 1500 difference for faster AF and noticeably improved high-ISO dynamic range and color.
For me, if I was gonna spend 4000 I might go 55.

Anyone paying $4k for a D3s got took. I paid $3265 for mine in mint condition with 50k clicks. Granted, that was a VERY good price, but $3500-3600 is an expected price. For anyone who doesn't shoot weddings 30 weekends a year, even your $1500 estimate is a pretty big deal.

The D3s high ISO performance is definitely no slouch. I routinely shoot at 8000-10000 and still get great color. You can push the perceived DR in post with a couple of clicks...

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM
skiboarder72
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Upgrade to the D4?

I shot with the D700 for a good amount of time before upgrading to the D4. I really love it! The high ISO is incredible, as is the DR and overall handling. I really appreciate the vertical AF focus thumbstick, very useful! I wrote a pretty indepth review of my thoughts on my blog here: http://joshjonesphoto.blogspot.com/2012/08/nikon-d4-review-wedding-photographers.html

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:17 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password