Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

Would anyone foresee any problems using a 22" beauty dish with a speedlight? I've been looking at the 22 over the 16" and it might also eventually be used with a monolight. I have a Bowens mount speedlight bracket from Adorama that I'll be using it with.

brad

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:38 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

I use a 20" RPS Studio BeautiDish with a 580EX all the time; it works great. (BDs are usually used close to the subject, so power isn't an issue.)

The BeautiDish, though, is designed to work with Speedlites, and has both opaque silver and translucent white deflectors that are curved to reflect the direct flash from a Speedlite back and out into the dish.

A beauty dish that is designed for bare-bulb strobes will probably have a flat deflector that will reflect most of the Speedlite's beam straight back, so you may want to rig something like a convex mirror to the back of the deflector plate to more-efficiently spread the beam of the Speedlite. (You can get small, adhesive-backed convex mirrors at most auto parts stores for a few bucks.)

Here's a photo of the 20" BeautiDish that shows the curved deflector:

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:09 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

Brad, I have a homemade dish you could try out if you'd like. Here was a quick and dirty shot from right after I built it:

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:23 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

Hud,

I actually do have a homemade one as well. Just looking for something a little more professional looking and durable. mine is the David tejada version that was on the strobist at some point.

Brad

Jan 12, 2013 at 04:28 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

DigMeTX wrote:
...I actually do have a homemade one as well. ...mine is the David tejada version that was on the strobist at some point.

That one's nice for those that have more time than money. Here's a link:

http://davidtejada.blogspot.com/2008/04/beauty-dish-for-sb-800.html

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:24 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

I'm a teacher.. Made it one summer.

brad

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:32 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

DigMeTX wrote:
Hud,

I actually do have a homemade one as well. Just looking for something a little more professional looking and durable. mine is the David tejada version that was on the strobist at some point.

Brad

Ah, ok. That Beautidish looks pretty nice. Another option comes from FTX. It has the benefit of having interchangeable mounts if you ever do want to get a monolight and it is about the only one I would want to buy outside of a stock PCB when I get around to saving for an Einstein. As far as 17" vs. 22", I would always pick the bigger dish just for more versatility.

Jan 12, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Greggbhill
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

I have one of these and I've been happy with it: http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=461

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:35 AM
kylehess10
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

I use a 22" beauty dish with speedlites (used it with an SB600 & YN560II) and I haven't had any problems since I started using it in August.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 22" beauty dish for speedlight?

Thanks for the feedback, y'all! I'll probably go with the 22" then.

brad

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:45 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.