Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D II vs. 6D

Tim Carpenter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D II vs. 6D

I would appreciate insights on the right upgrade to make from my 5D. I would like to start shooting some video (both nature related and part of the seniors/grad portrait shooting I do), so either will provide for that I believe although I don't know if there is a significant difference in either.

The WIFI and GPS are cool features, but really are not features I see any need for. If I had a need for some sort of teathered shooting (which I have done a couple of times), I can hard wire it.

Looks like there are likely significant gains in AF and Low light performance in the 6D. This could be useful as there is a certain amount of shooting a do indoors where flash is not an option.

When you get down to it, pricing wise, it appears there is about $300 difference in price?

What else should I be considering? If can can drop the $300 more...should I just go for the latest model??

Thanks in advance.

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D II vs. 6D

new = 6D
used = 5D2

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D II vs. 6D

If you need significant AF improvement, save your benjamins a couple more months and buy a 5D3.

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:03 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D II vs. 6D

I would not buy a new 5DII now, but used is a good option for the price. If you like video, the 5DIII is far superior to either.

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:07 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D II vs. 6D

If you need better AF, and video/audio options/features are going to be important then the 5D3 is your much better option...hands down...as most everything you need to manage the video/audio experience are built in.

If video/audio will be of importance, look at each camera's feature set, determine what you can/can't live without and what possible accessories might cost...built in vs external.

That said, the 5D2 has proven it's professional capabilities/usage for 4 plus years. It's been tested, experimented with, updated, help many build their business and is a top-notch bit of kit.

The 6D uses the latest Canon sensor and does seem to have slightly better IQ and DR, but it's video; at initial release, while very good, does seem to exhibit more morie; much more then the 5D3...there are a few examples on Youtube, I'd research all 3 bodies before buying.

Center point focus is fine on all three cameras, as for outer points, best to kind of usable, it's the 5D3 in 1st place, then 5D2 and 6D following; some report no difference between the 5D2 and 6D.

My best advice, if possible, get to a camera shop and hold/test shoot each body...the 5D2 and 6D use much the same AF system; like your 5Dc does, the 5D3 is a huge, huge improvement.

Here's an interesting Youtube video comparing the 5D3, 5D2 and 6D...it might help.

Canon Full Frame Shootout! Canon EOS 6D vs Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Canon EOS 5D Mark II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYMF7UAvF_E

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Tim Carpenter
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D II vs. 6D

Very helpful link from StillFingerz. Seems to point to the 5D II for video if not going to the 5D III. Video will definitely be secondary (by a good distance) to the still work I will be doing. With that in mind, would you suggest upgrading to a used 5DII rather than the 6D? I would like improved low light performance. Some gain in AF will would be nice, but I think the AF between the 5D II & III is the same?

Jan 12, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D II vs. 6D

Some gain in AF will would be nice, but I think the AF between the 5D II & III is the same?

In one shot mode, both have a single central cross sensor. The 6D will AF at incredibly low light levels (EV -3), the 5DII still quite low (EV -1? not sure).

In AI servo, the 6D has one center cross sensor, while the 5DII can use its center cross sensor and can enable a cluster of 6 more assist sensors near the center, two of which are also cross sensors, for a total of 3 cross sensors.

I've been waiting for a clear test on AI servo between the two, and well, I'm still waiting.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D II vs. 6D

I have a 5DII and just got a 6D. The low light performance of the 6D is better. The center point AF is better in low light. There are more AF customization options on the 6D. The camera is quieter. I don't miss the AF joystick or WB button. In most ways, the 6D really is an improved 5DII with WiFi (cool!) and GPS (don't care!).

The 5D Mark III has much better AF than either of the other two cameras. The 5D3 AF has more in common with a 1D series camera than your other 2 choices.

Do you want a $1250 camera, $1950 camera, or can you spend the extra grand for the 5D III?

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D II vs. 6D

Tim Carpenter wrote:
Very helpful link from StillFingerz. Seems to point to the 5D II for video if not going to the 5D III. Video will definitely be secondary (by a good distance) to the still work I will be doing. With that in mind, would you suggest upgrading to a used 5DII rather than the 6D? I would like improved low light performance. Some gain in AF will would be nice, but I think the AF between the 5D II & III is the same?

AF between the 5D2 and 5D3 are light years apart, 5D3's AF is like the 1DX. The 5D2's AF is more like the 6D and previous xxD crop bodies.

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:06 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D II vs. 6D

Mr Joe wrote:
I have a 5DII and just got a 6D. The low light performance of the 6D is better. The center point AF is better in low light. There are more AF customization options on the 6D. The camera is quieter. I don't miss the AF joystick or WB button. In most ways, the 6D really is an improved 5DII with WiFi (cool!) and GPS (don't care!).

The 5D Mark III has much better AF than either of the other two cameras. The 5D3 AF has more in common with a 1D series camera than your other 2 choices.

Do you
...Show more

^ This is pretty much spot on. I prefer the joystick but on the 5d2 its pointless anyhow.

One issue on the 6d is no WB button if you change that regularly.

Overall I would pick a 6d over a 5d2.

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:38 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D II vs. 6D

I'd pick a good used 5d mark II or wait for a deal on the mark III.

Unless you absolutely need the wifi or gps

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:35 AM
Tim Carpenter
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D II vs. 6D

That is definitely the way I'm leaning. Thanks

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:54 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D II vs. 6D

Aye a used 5d2 and magic lantern is an awesome combination for a cracking price.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:56 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D II vs. 6D

I think I'd get a refurbished 5D2 from Canon's online store. My is performing very well for me.
Yes, I use focus-and-recompose with center point only. In almost every case this is good
enough, even at f/2 and 135mm focal length. The body delivers very good IQ, has good
Live View, AF Micro Adjust, Video. If this isn't enough it is because you need great AF
for moving targets, like in wedding shooting. I think the 6D is going to perform very well,
but for me, I'd either stay cheap (5D2) or make the jump to a great AF system (5D3).

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password