FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

oyster99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Dear all,
Help~!!!!!!!!!
My Nikon 500mm f4 VRII fell from a tripod. 1) Got dent on the front ring, but not so much. 2) Autofocus does not work well. Motor makes noise but not work. Others are just good. I am wondering any suggestions to repair it? How much I will pay for it? It's a US lens. I live in Pittsburgh. Thanks.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Obviously you need to ship it to Nikon service and request an estimate to repair it.Sorry for your luck.

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:00 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Only Nikon can answer your question. Send it in.

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:13 PM
oyster99

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Just checked with Nikon Self Service Product Repair, it said the cost is $600. Anyone used that service before? http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

That's still just an estimate. You won't know the final cost until the repair tech opens up the lens and determines the specific damage. Given the value of that lens I'd send it to a main Nikon shop directly.

EBH

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:28 PM
oyster99

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Any suggestions to which store I should sent to? I do not have the warranty card. Thank you!

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:30 PM
DavidKvapil
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Being that it was dropped, warranty won't cover you anyway.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:04 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

No reason to fret about the repair cost, you dropped it and it's on you. Without the repair the almost 8K lens is useless. Send it to the nearest Nikon repair center.

Over the course of shooting for many years, most photographers will drop a lens or camera or both at some point. Unfortunately, your drop is a little more expensive than others.

Hope it turns out to be minimal damage. Appearance doesn't always tell the whole story.

Good luck

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:38 PM
knower
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

As far as I know, the minimum impact damage here in Canada is 1000$ plus taxes.

Not a nice pill.

G.

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Q Who

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Too bad that it happened.
Insurance is cheap compared to the cost of equipment.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

that hurts! T will cost to repair. But for my experience, much much less than paying insurances year after year.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

nugeny wrote:
that hurts! T will cost to repair. But for my experience, much much less than paying insurances year after year.

insurance is just a guaranteed loss year after year.

even if you trash all your stuff or you get it stolen out of a car you still aren't gaining anything if the stuff eventually gets replaced.

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:14 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Zebrabot wrote:

even if you trash all your stuff or you get it stolen out of a car you still aren't gaining anything if the stuff eventually gets replaced.

This is completely absurd.

Insurance is for things you can't afford to replace if they go missing/get broken. Things like your body (medical insurance), your house, etc.

As a dedicated hobbyist who has a fair amount of gear, I can't reasonably afford to replace it all if it were to, say, get stolen - which happened to me about 6 years ago, when my house was burglarized. The replacement insurance covered more than $15,000 worth of stolen goods. Even if I were diligent about putting aside money instead of spending it on premiums, it would not have come close.

Where insurance really falls down is on things that are either relatively inexpensive to replace (e.g. small electronics), tend to fail in small pieces (e.g. extended warranties on cars), or are pure luxury items that don't need replacement. Even there, sometimes it makes sense.

There are lots of times and people for whom insurance is a waste... but it's not so black-and-white as you make it out to be.

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:09 AM
rankamateur
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

APS would be the better place to send it as it is not under warranty. Much quicker, no hassle and you will actually know where it is at all times and what they are doing to it.

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:39 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

I would send it in an let Nikon open it up and just get it done. I dont know if your a hobbiest or pro, but to most of us, 8K is alot to pay for a paper weight.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Zebrabot wrote:

binary visions wrote:
This is completely absurd.

+1 to "this is completely absurd".

Insurance premiums are generally between 1% and 1.5% of the value of the gear in the USA. So you'd have to pay premiums for at least 65 years without filing a claim for it to be a break-even proposition.

I had $15,000 worth of gear stolen a few years ago. Insurance replaced all my gear and was delightful to deal with. If you can't easily afford to replace all your gear, or you just think you're likely to trash it or get it stolen at least once every 30-40 years, it's a good bet.

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:24 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

I'm not surprised the people bending over for insurance companies also get their stuff stolen all the time.

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:49 PM
hegdent
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Same thing happened to me, only worse. The barrel came apart.This was right after the Tsunami so, I had to wait about two months for the parts and it cost me $1500.00 but, it was worth it. Now the good part. The lens was 7 years old(AF-S ll version) and I managed to sell it for the price I initially bought it at on eBay. So, the repair cost was the lens rental for 7 years...
Good luck...
Harish

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:32 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Zebrabot wrote:
I'm not surprised the people bending over for insurance companies also the time.

HMMM, why is that? Their stuffs stolen all tahe times?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon 500mm f4 VRII got broken

Zebrabot wrote:
I'm not surprised the people bending over for insurance companies also get their stuff stolen all the time.

I don't buy insurances and for many years, my stuffs aren.'t stolen. weird coincidence?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.