Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

justdevine
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

I would like to hear from people who have experience with both? Would you sell a 50D to purchase a T4i? I am an occasional sports photographer (mostly for my kids) and family shooter.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:14 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

Peronsally, no. Not unless you want to shoot video occasionally.

Depending on your circumstances I would wait and save for a 7D MKII, and its higher burst rate, later in the year/early next year.

There is too little between the 50D and T4i, except the video.

Jan 12, 2013 at 04:23 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #3 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

I have a 50D, never touched a T4i. I would say unless you want video, stay with the 50D and maybe buy a nice piece of glass. I upgraded to the 7D and love it, but still use my 50D for backup and T&I stuff.

Paul

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:50 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

The biggest difference to a T4i is video, and the touch screen.

The 50D has AFMA, which I would find much more useful. I'd not buy a camera without AFMA unless I always used contrast detect AF, as in Powershot. The 50D is also much better built, and those BP-511 batteries are cheap.

I also much prefer CF memory.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:54 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

The newer T4i /650D has better ISO performance, video, resolution, etc.
If you shoot sports occasionally and need video it's probably worth it

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmcharg
• • •
p.1 #6 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

As others have said unless you really need video keep the 50D. I think the build quality of the 50D is much better and its a camera that should last you for years to come. I would save your money and wait for a few years before upgrading as by that time an upgrade will make more sense. The 50D will do everything you need. If Canon release a 7DMKII then i would upgrade to that in a few years time once prices settle. With the current 7D i don't see a big difference in high ISO compare to my 50D, the AF on the 7D is much better but i don't shoot action stuff enough at this point to warrant an upgrade.

Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #7 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

Why do you feel the need for a new camera?

If you want video, or the 50D is too big and heavy, than you might appreciate a T4i.
There may be some small improvement at high iso, but I wouldn't want to use either of them at 3200 or above.

Of course you'd lose out on AFMA, continuous shooting speed and build quality. Also, you lose the quick control dial, and handling is generally slower.

Unless you need video or want a smaller/lighter camera I think it's a downgrade.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

Seriously, I'd keep using my 50D, and my money in the bank accruing interest for when the price of the 7D MKII drops. Then I'd buy a camera superior to both the T4i and 50D.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Thoughts on t4i vs. keeping a 50D?

I've never owned the 50D, but I would re-purchase the T2i before I bought a 50D. That means that I'd jump at the new T4i even faster. Better IQ, video, 18MP, tilty touch screen -- what's not to like? 50D never had outstanding sensor -- I far prefer my 60D, despite the complaints I've heard from 50D fans that were disappointed when the 60D came out.

If, by chance, you find the T-series AF is front or back focusing, simply send it in with the lens or lenses to Canon and they will get them all adjusted for you under warranty. Maybe up to two or three lenses -- I've never seen a written policy. That's what I did on my T2i that front-focused -- came back great and worked with most of my lenses perfectly after that, including EF-S 60/2.8 Macro.

T4i!

With an aftermarket grip.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password