1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

Gochugogi wrote:
I'd want to test a few more copies across a longer production run before drawing any conclusions as sample variation and/or early production QC may be to blame. If I believed all the remarks and reviews of the 24-105L back in the day, I would have never bought one as it appeared to be mediocre at best (I suspect QC issues were widespread). In reality my 24-105 is one of the sharpest zooms I've owned, and I've owned many. It's only bested by my 70-200 4L IS USM (and primes of course).

You might be interested in this: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1181465

Dan

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

Legion5 wrote:
50mm is just a train wreck for the 24-70mm

I love hyperbole.

No, wait...

HYPERBOLE is the COOLEST thing in the whole world. LITERALLY. I LOVE it. Nothing is anywhere near as great as hyperbole! Really! I mean it!

;-)

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:37 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

With the new semi-pro cameras being introduced at $3K it seems Nikon and Canon figure the sky's the limit.

Jan 12, 2013 at 04:31 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

jorkata wrote:
It's possible that this lens has some weird field curvature and/or focus shift behavior.
Hence, the TDP results.

I guess we'll have to wait for more reviews to see if the TDP results are the norm.

or FC that varies copy to copy (as I've seen with the 24-70 II, I was surprised at how radically different where the DOF got placed was between all three copies I looked at, I'm not really sure which, if nay copy, placed it the way it was ideally designed to be placed)

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:20 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

Monito wrote:
I don't have to trust their marketing judgement. I simply respect it. Further, I know that conditions come and go and that there can be many reasons for discounts that have nothing to do with lack of sales or lack of judgement.

Who knows. Companies come and go too. They have a lot more data to go on that random users don't which can help a lot and many have more experience. But they are hardly all-seeing and all-knowing, companies get driven into the ground all the time or turned from near bankruptcy into the biggest in the world. How many times has someone taken over and, given the same old internal data, suddenly taken the direction of a company in a 180? Many companies settle into a super-conservative, entrenched, ultra-risk averse mindset as soon as they reach the top and thus why there are always stories of new companies rising up and becoming the biggest thing. It's not like it is 1+1=2, it's complex and there is more than one way to win and more than one way to lose and each can happen to extremely different degrees.

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:35 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

jorkata wrote:
We are past the holiday season - and yet, there are deep (20-30%) discounts on many Canon products right now, including most of their 2012 products.

There are even DEEPER discounts with Nikon products. As Thom Hogan pointed out in his website (bythom.com), Nikon is going after the #1 market position... though they failed miserably in Japan (see here). Canon is merely responding to their biggest competitor.

Edited on Jan 12, 2013 at 07:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:48 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

skibum5 wrote:
TDP has 24-70 f/4 IS results up now

they have it going to trash as 50mm though, just as you found, none of their copies looks good there and some look awful, easily the worst performance there of all the standard zooms

but then they have it doing decently at 70mm again, similar to the 24-105 and better than the tamron (go figure) and a little bit worse than 24-70 II

Thanks for the heads up. It's disappointing. Will wait for Photozone results.

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:52 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

Gochugogi wrote:
I'd want to test a few more copies across a longer production run before drawing any conclusions as sample variation and/or early production QC may be to blame. If I believed all the remarks and reviews of the 24-105L back in the day, I would have never bought one as it appeared to be mediocre at best (I suspect QC issues were widespread). In reality my 24-105 is one of the sharpest zooms I've owned, and I've owned many. It's only bested by my 70-200 4L IS USM (and primes of course).

When did you get your 24-105 lens?

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:53 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

thw2 wrote:
There are even DEEPER discounts with Nikon products. Canon is merely responding to their biggest competitor.

Since June 2012, the dollar has gained 16% against the yen. The 1Dx became widely available in June at $6800. Less 16% it should sell for $5920 today. Of course retailers have stock that they bought at higher yen values so the price doesn't always reflect the currency conversion. Also, unless there is a reason to discount, competitive pressure, etc., most retailers would choose to keep the difference rather than pass it on to the buyer. It takes time for the higher value of the dollar to trickle down to the consumer. But if the current trend continues I would expect prices to drop in the coming months.

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:57 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

TDP 24-70 f/4 IS Review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Mar 02, 2013 at 04:47 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

Photozone found substantial focus shift with the lens. Ouch.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/798-canon2470f4

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:21 AM

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon 24-70mm F/4.0 IS Macro Review - Dissapointing

I thought they'd try it at 50mm just to see if there's really an issue with that focal length.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:23 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.