Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · start up studio set

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · start up studio set

What do you all think of this for a start up studio - non professional for some basic headshots and portraits?

http://factory-direct-prices.store.buy.com/p/square-perfect-sp3500-complete-portrait-studio-kit-w-flashes-softboxes/225063282.html

Thanks - B

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:50 PM
buckeyeguy1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · start up studio set

I have not heard of that brand before so I cannot help with that aspect. However, as suggestion I might make would be to look for a smaller kit with one monolight to start with. I went through this about a year ago and found that one light was a lot easier to get the basics down on. You may want to post in the Lighting part of the forum. One of the members that frequent there, Brian O, can give you some good info. He suggested starting off with a speedlight, stand and umbrella (along with some other great tips and sugestions) and I'm glad I did.

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · start up studio set

buckeye got it right on the money.

if you want to dabble pick up a new or used alien bee, stand and an umnbrella. you can build off this kit or sell it for 80-90% of what you paid for it. With the kit listed above you'll have a heck of a time building on or selling.

Also do not rule out a simple hot shoe flash; you have CLS with the d300 (not sure about d90) check out strobist.com if you havent already, it'll blow you away with the stuff they can achieve. good luck

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM
blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · start up studio set

Thanks for the good advice here. I already have a strobe, umbrella, 4 stands and a DIY constant light setup. I would like to have a couple of Alien Bees and start to learn more about using strobes. I hardly ever use the SB700 I have... I did real most of the Strobist beginners guide too. SO, I guess I have "dabbled" already and I should dabble more with what I have. One thing I would like to be able to figure out is how to use my strobe off camera without using my on-camera flash. I suppose i need to get a controller of some sort. Any recommendations on that? Thanks! B

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM
buckeyeguy1
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · start up studio set

You can get a PC Sync cord and a hot shoe adapter with a PC socket on it to trigger your SB700 without the pop up. They look like THIS.

If you want to trigger without a cord, you will have to get an SU-800 or a radio trigger set.

I like my AB800 however, if I were to buy again, I would get an AB400 due to the smaller shooting area I have.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:10 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password