Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · glossy Macbook Pro

mt-m
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · glossy Macbook Pro

Any of you guys bought a glossy screen Macbook Pro over a matte one and regretted it?

My old one has a matte screen, which I like, but I also don't mind the glossy screen on my son's IMac.

Are the reflections an issue for you in everyday use?

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · glossy Macbook Pro

I have two of them and the gloss has never been an issue. Great machines, and the screens are surprisingly good after being calibrated with an i1Pro.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:41 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · glossy Macbook Pro

After buying a glossy MacBook Pro I won't be going back to matte (on notebooks, anyway) without kicking and screaming.

The gloss has been less than an issue, in fact; if you've ever experienced a matte screen completely blowing out because of one intense reflection or light source, that doesn't happen on the glossy screens. Instead of the coating making things worse, the reflection stays confined and you only lose the part of the screen it's hitting.

I've used my current MBP naked at locations I couldn't have dreamed of using any of my matte laptops without a serious monitor hood.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mt-m
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · glossy Macbook Pro

Peter and Colin, thanks!

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:50 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · glossy Macbook Pro

A glossy-front iMac has become by editing, processing and print-from machine. So long as there are no rear light sources that can cause screen reflections, I see no problem with the glossy screen. I think the same rules will apply to your Macbook. I'm still working on a 2009 matte-screen MBP, but won't hesitate to upgrade to a new 17" when and if the Retina display exists as a 17" machine.

John Caldwell

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:06 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · glossy Macbook Pro

The macbook pro is portable and so you are bound to use it where there are things bright enough to cause reflections. I much prefer the anti-glare screen to the glossy.

Anything that causes anti-glare to be a problem will also make the glossy screen a problem, but the reverse is not necessarily true. Even with no bright lights around you'll still get reflections of yourself and the background on a glossy screen.

It is true that the perceived blackness of an anti-glare screen is generally not as deep as for a glossy screen but the glossy screen also happens to be far blacker than any print can match and I usually have the black point raised a bit anyway. So for me anti-glare wins.

The retina screens are nowhere near as glossy as the standard screens but not quite as matte as the anti-glare screens. For the iMacs you get no choice - just big, bright and glossy.

- Alan

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:43 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password