New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

iazybandit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

I did a search and didn't see any mentions of this, so I wanted to know if anyone else purchased this or pledged towards their Kickstarter campaign? I got to play with this at PhotoPlus this past October before it was on Kickstarter.

I just got a bunch of them in the mail. I'm going to be doing a review on it and since I have so many, I'm going to have a contest soon to give some away. Contest info will be posted on my site so keep an eye out.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/1kindphotography/blog_post/customslr_prodot_showoff_zpsddc69a6c.jpg

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:11 AM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

"helps reduce camera shake and finger fatigue when capturing photos"

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

Too bad I don't have two FM accounts.

1. Man! This is great. My shutter finger gets so fatigued at 12 fps.

2. Great idea. I've used similar shutter button enhancements in the past, on rangefinders. OTOH, it just doesn't fit with my current SLR use. Heck, the bag wear alone would grind them off in a day, let alone my clumsy fingers.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

That looks very painful for my fingertips. I suppose it might be of some use with gloves. What is the temperature rating for the adhesive?

EBH

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

Starting to take pictures for the review. Here are some peeks

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/1kindphotography/reviews/images/prodot7_zps7dc75850.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/1kindphotography/reviews/images/prodot4_zpsff915e70.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/1kindphotography/reviews/images/prodot10_zpscbac1bad.jpg

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

I might be just me, but I have zero issues with the feel of my shutter button, even when wearing gloves. To me it seems like a solution looking for a problem. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones...

Paul

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:45 PM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

I'll wait for the review. I did take a look at the video on their site, but I kind of agree with Paul in that I haven't had an issue with my shutter button.

Jan 12, 2013 at 08:50 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

For me, I definitely have issues where when I take a shot, I move the camera. So far, it reduces the shake.

Jan 12, 2013 at 09:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

Those button stick out quite far. Many of the complaints from pros are that buttons or controls are accidentally activated. It look like that red shutter release would be triggered frequently my camera bag.

EBH

Jan 12, 2013 at 09:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

1KIND wrote:
For me, I definitely have issues where when I take a shot, I move the camera. So far, it reduces the shake.

it reduces shake? could you explain how?

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:25 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

sjms wrote:
it reduces shake? could you explain how?

It adds a bit of cushion between your finger and shutter button. When your finger is on the shutter button, its closer to the camera body. So when you press down, you're also touching the camera body. With the ProDot, it doesn't require as much "force" to press the shutter button and your finger is further away from the camera.

Here is another shot
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/1kindphotography/reviews/images/prodot6_zps153314d0.jpg

I tried this on my Canon PowerShot S100 and when I half press the shutter button, it would focus. With the ProDot installed, it required less of a travel. It actually became more "sensitive" and I end up taking the shot instead of focusing.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

EB-1 wrote:
Those button stick out quite far. Many of the complaints from pros are that buttons or controls are accidentally activated. It look like that red shutter release would be triggered frequently my camera bag.

EBH

Your camera should be off if its in your bag. It looks like it sticks out a lot but it won't be in the way.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

1KIND wrote:
Your camera should be off if its in your bag. It looks like it sticks out a lot but it won't be in the way.

Why? A camera can be asleep while in the bag and can be up and ready for action much faster than having find the on switch first.

And I'm sorry but I just can't see any real benifit to this for anything other than a couple of quite specific things.

1: if in pressing a 'normal' shutter button you move the camera so much , then learn a better technique .

2: in te iPhone picture. That's only going to annoy. It may be super soft but its still going to catch on the edge of my jeans pocket as I put the phone in or take it out .

3: just about the only use I can think of is on my car stereo . There are a couple of buttons I use a fair bit which are quite small and thee is very little difference to the buttons next to them (which I hardly ever use) these things stuck to the popular buttons would make thinks much quicker and safer (wouldn't have to take eyes of road) .

But I certainly don't need it for photo use

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

1KIND wrote:

Why? A camera can be asleep while in the bag and can be up and ready for action much faster than having find the on switch first.

And I'm sorry but I just can't see any real benifit to this for anything other than a couple of quite specific things.

1: if in pressing a 'normal' shutter button you move the camera so much , then learn a better technique .

2: in te iPhone picture. That's only going to annoy. It may be super soft but its still going to catch on the edge of my jeans pocket as I put the phone in or take it out .

3: just about the only use I can think of is on my car stereo . There are a couple of buttons I use a fair bit which are quite small and thee is very little difference to the buttons next to them (which I hardly ever use) these things stuck to the popular buttons would make thinks much quicker and safer (wouldn't have to take eyes of road) .

But I certainly don't need it for photo use

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Bra straps?

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:40 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

By the way I've just watched their video. I'm sorry but if anyone is pressing the shutter button like they show in the video then you deserve blurry shake pictures.
You do not hold your finger half a inch over the button and just jab down . You rest you finger on the button and gently press . He'll you probably are using a half press for either AF or metering (or both) any way

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

1KIND wrote:
It adds a bit of cushion between your finger and shutter button. When your finger is on the shutter button, its closer to the camera body. So when you press down, you're also touching the camera body. With the ProDot, it doesn't require as much "force" to press the shutter button and your finger is further away from the camera.

Here is another shot
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/1kindphotography/reviews/images/prodot6_zps153314d0.jpg

I tried this on my Canon PowerShot S100 and when I half press the shutter button, it would focus. With the ProDot installed, it required less of a travel. It actually became more "sensitive" and I end up
...Show more

Oh Please !!!!. I guess 35 years of shooting has taught me something.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

2: in te iPhone picture. That's only going to annoy. It may be super soft but its still going to catch on the edge of my jeans pocket as I put the
...Show more
I guess you camera can be on and asleep in your bag depending what you're doing. But if you want your camera to be ready for action, it should be by your side hanging off your hand or your shoulder. It's all personal preference.

1. No one is "perfect" like you.

2. Not everyone puts their phone in their tight jean pockets like you

3. It doesn't have to be for photo, phone or tablet use. If you feel you can use it in the car, than there is a use for it. I placed the ProDot on computer mouses, videogame controllers and my point and shoots. I'm sure it would be great for the elderly who have somewhat of a poor eye sight. I'm trying to see what other places it can be used for.

4. This product wasn't designed specifically for you so no one is making you buy it or be interested in it.

Edited on Jan 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
By the way I've just watched their video. I'm sorry but if anyone is pressing the shutter button like they show in the video then you deserve blurry shake pictures.
You do not hold your finger half a inch over the button and just jab down . You rest you finger on the button and gently press . He'll you probably are using a half press for either AF or metering (or both) any way

I highly doubt anyone presses the shutter button like that but I think its more of just a demonstration. I don't press my shutter button like that nor do I use it as my AF. My AF is with the AF-ON button

I do have a tendency to press down hard on the shutter. Don't know why though. Maybe I just don't have that soft touch some others have.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Custom SLR ProDot - Tactile Shutter Button Upgrade

1KIND wrote:

No way. Power off is a good way to miss a shot. I never turn the power off except when the camera is in transit. The last camera I had that did not power down automatically was the Nikkormat EL in the mid 70s. The power was controlled by the wind lever. Ironically that camera did have a Bell cable release (outer thread) and Nikon made an add-on button extension for it.

EBH

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.