Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Squeeze lens barrel and camera doesn't focus?

adamdewilde
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Squeeze lens barrel and camera doesn't focus?

Hi,

This is going to sound strange (or maybe not, as I don't read lens manuals).. But I've noticed when I'm shooting an event (wedding) and I hold my camera in my right hand and my lens rests in my left hand, I can focus and take a photo. However, if I'm slightly squeezing the lens barrel (not the focusing ring) the camera won't focus, it's like autofocus switches off.. This happens only with my prime lenses (24G, 35G, 50G, 85G) and not with my zooms (14-24G, 24-70G, 70-200G VRII). Also I have two D700 bodies (didn't really notice on them, and haven't tested, but think it may have happened while using them), one D800 body (didn't test on this one either as I use it in the studio) and two D4 bodies (happens on both of the D4 bodies confirmed)..

Is this a feature of some sort (like a manual focus override sensor built into the lens), or what's going on?
And yes, again, I'm not gripping the focusing ring, I'm gripping the lens barrel behind the focusing ring, and I'm not ninja gripping it, just holding it with my thumb and pointer finger for added support (those damn D4s get heavy after a few hours).

Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks guys,
Adam

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:27 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Squeeze lens barrel and camera doesn't focus?

Maybe it's an issue with me holding onto the lens and slightly lifting it causing a contact problem with the lens and body? Highly doubtful, but the only thing I can think of for this strange occurrence.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Squeeze lens barrel and camera doesn't focus?

not normal.

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:58 PM
RKH
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Squeeze lens barrel and camera doesn't focus?

I'm wondering if you may be twisting the lenses just enough to cause something weird between the contacts between the lenses and the bodies?

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:59 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Squeeze lens barrel and camera doesn't focus?

The primes are made of plastic and can flex. The zooms have more metal and don't flex.

adamdewilde wrote:
Hi,

This is going to sound strange (or maybe not, as I don't read lens manuals).. But I've noticed when I'm shooting an event (wedding) and I hold my camera in my right hand and my lens rests in my left hand, I can focus and take a photo. However, if I'm slightly squeezing the lens barrel (not the focusing ring) the camera won't focus, it's like autofocus switches off.. This happens only with my prime lenses (24G, 35G, 50G, 85G) and not with my zooms (14-24G, 24-70G, 70-200G VRII). Also I have two D700 bodies (didn't really notice on them,
...Show more

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Squeeze lens barrel and camera doesn't focus?

Yeah, wondering if the plastic barrels are flexing so much so that I'm gripping a motor driven gear... That or the contact issue... Strange though, anyone else notice this?

While shooting I notice it, and think it would be a big oversight by Nikons part if it were either of the two issues stated above.

Jan 13, 2013 at 04:44 AM
S Dilworth
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Squeeze lens barrel and camera doesn't focus?

The zooms, in addition to having metal barrels against the primes’ plastic, have ring-type SWM autofocus motors, whereas the primes (excepting the AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G) use compact SWM motors and a gear train to drive the focus.

Although my plastic lenses flex I can’t get them to stop focusing using reasonable force. How much force are you applying, and where, exactly? Are you sure it happens with the AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G? I haven’t got the other f/1.4 primes, so I can’t check them. I do have the AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:56 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Squeeze lens barrel and camera doesn't focus?

I noticed it primarily with the 35G and 85G, but I vaguely remember it happening with the 50 1.4G (as I was using that 3 weddings ago), but took notice over the last two weddings where I was primarily using the 35G and 85G (and at the last wedding I was really paying attention and it was happing a lot with the 35G).

And yeah I'm not a Vulcan, so I don't think I'm death gripping my lenses.. I do grab them firmly as I am using two bodies and by the end of the night my hands are quite tired from lifting the cameras up from my waste.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.