Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

Often, the advice given regarding a portfolio is, "only show your best work".

But can an argument be made for NOT showing only your best shots? What do you say to a portfolio showing a mix of shots - some great, some good, some mediocre - so as to give potential clients a more realistic idea of what to expect?

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

Show what you want to sell.

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:26 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

I would never show anyone anything except exactly what we want to sell.
I would go as far as even limiting the images to a very very very specific type of wedding. Throughout the year no doubt you will shoot many different varieties but perhaps only one or two of those varieties are what you like best. Show that and sell that.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:54 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

I agree with the above. You show full series as part of expectation setting, not a portfolio. For me an album fits between that middle ground.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:21 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

Portfolio is your 'shop window', once they are in and interested then you can show them full wedding albums

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:39 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

Isn't that what blogging a wedding is supposed to do? I invite potential clients to view my blogs to get an idea of what I deliver for a typical wedding.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

Real printed albums is what I show.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

I knew a guy in Melbourne who paid others to shoot.

The albums on display were $3 kmart albums full of 6x4 inch photos. That was the product and the images in those albums could not have been any worse.

He had 10 weddings on a weekend.

It was cheap but i guess showing work that bad meant whoever booked his studio were never going to complain.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

In my opinion, your portfolio is your marketing material and your blog/meetings/full weddings are your expectation management. Both can be used effectively, but it works better in the proper order.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

Chris Fawkes wrote:
I knew a guy in Melbourne who paid others to shoot.

The albums on display were $3 kmart albums full of 6x4 inch photos. That was the product and the images in those albums could not have been any worse.

He had 10 weddings on a weekend.

It was cheap but i guess showing work that bad meant whoever booked his studio were never going to complain.

I know a few who run a kind of wedding photography agency though outside of their studio says STUDIO OF PHOTOGRAPHY and they book as many wedding at the same time as people they know who own a DSLR and a couple of lenses and want to do weddings, of course they are cheap and the porfolio the couple is shown in the "studio" may be from someone who no longer works there, another infestation.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:06 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

hardlyboring wrote:
Throughout the year no doubt you will shoot many different varieties but perhaps only one or two of those varieties are what you like best. Show that and sell that.

When I first started out, I used to get unsolicited compliments on my pics - "I love your photos" - but as time moved on and I felt I needed to be more well-rounded and add pics that would appeal to a broad spectrum of potential clients, I no longer get compliments on my pics like I did when I was first starting out.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:53 AM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

Some clients want to see full weddings. I don't how good we would look if we had to show even every shot we delivered to past clients. I've heard some photographers say that on their "intro" slideshow they only include their rocking shots, the ones that match their brand and what they want to sell --- but that they also offer to show prospective clients the full set of shots for a wedding. They even go as far as to make full past client galleries available to prospective clients.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:29 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

Joo crazy mang.

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:49 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

Mark_L wrote:
Portfolio is your 'shop window', once they are in and interested then you can show them full wedding albums

Yeah, I suppose a store wouldn't put something mediocre in the shop window. You'd put some of your best items.

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:39 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Portfolio: Can an argument be made for ...

D. Diggler wrote:
When I first started out, I used to get unsolicited compliments on my pics - "I love your photos" - but as time moved on and I felt I needed to be more well-rounded and add pics that would appeal to a broad spectrum of potential clients, I no longer get compliments on my pics like I did when I was first starting out.

Yeah, I get that too. I assume it's related to pricing, I was so low to start with that people were perhaps more excited on some level with what they were getting. But I dunno, it doesn't really bother me. Perhaps if you posted some photos here you'd get more compliments

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:07 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.