Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

mikereid27

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

My d7k refuses to work after being outside in freezing temperatures about 20 degrees. Nikon will not help me problem solve the situation and it happens after only 10 minutes or so. Actually been pretty frustrated feeling as though I need to just store my gear in the winter. Nikon said they had 2 point and shoots that are weather proof...I don't consider that a solution and feel you guys wouldn't either.

Second part of this post, should I trade it all in and go canon? I like nikon and it's user interface but I don't want t9 get cornered into a company, ie buying more lenses etc, if the costumer service and products aren't well backed. I've gone nikon for about 10 years now so idk.

Thanks everyone. ..ps I'd appreciate only helpful responses not useless criticism that I've been seeing in some topicscs.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:18 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #2 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Please refer to user manual.
for my D600, it states " operating environment : 0-40 C, which is 32-104F). you can also find D7k information on your user manual as well as Canon camera.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:42 AM
MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

My D7k has been in -25 C & worked great. It was a bit slow changing settings but it was all iced up & the battery lasted whole session.

I wonder why yours flakes out.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:51 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #4 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Try a new battery. I don't have a D7000, but I've used my Nikon D300 and D80 in temps down to 42 below with no problems. Keep two fresh batteries in an inside pocket and rotate them as needed. Twenty above zero shouldn't be causing any problems at all.

Kent in SD

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:15 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

My D7000 worked great in cold weather too. It's shot a few winters in Yosemite just fine.

One thing, could you please explain "My d7k refuses to work"? What do you mean? The AF doesn't work, the battery dies? In what way is it refusing to work?

I will say your thinking that since you have this problem with the D7000 you are considering if you should just jump ship to Canon? This seems a bit dramatic. I am sure you are frustrated, but that still seems a bit extreme to me.

Jim

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:48 AM
Jeffbarkley

p.1 #6 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

I have a D7000 that I have shot at -20c many times and have never experienced any problems. Perhaps the battery or flash card contacts have gotten moisture on them or corroded. You could try cleaning them all, including your lens mount with alcohol. Other than that, I would consider a new battery. Good luck!
Jeff

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:01 AM
vtec44
• •
p.1 #7 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

I used my D7000 in 10 degrees temperature last week, no problems. I am, however, is getting sick from being out in the cold too long.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:19 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

All my Nikons work well in cold weather. Of course, here in NW Indiana it never gets below 78 degrees. You know, the blast furnaces and all keep us toasty warm and we even swim in Lake Michigan in January.

I've had all my Nikopns out in cold weather, and all have worked very well. I even had my DDD80 out in sub-zero weather with no problems.

Canon has the same "operating limits" as Nikon. It's a CYA thing, but it can save them. I would send it in, saying it won't work at 35 degrees. Send it to California and I will bet nobody over there is willing to stand in a walk in freezer to test it. Or send it to Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove.
http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:50 AM
James R
• • • •
p.1 #9 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Never had weather issue with any Nikon. Not sure about now, but in the past, Canon's were not the king of cold weather. Also, the cold plays havoc with batteries, reducing the charge.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:07 AM
mikereid27

p.1 #10 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Thanks all I think I'm going to try the backup battery thing. @JimFox, the reason I was considering leaving is the customer service and the help I received not the cold weather. Nikon recommended a point and shoot camera. The "refusal to work meant the AF stopped working and the LCD also stopped working. I also did look at the manual but if you read other people's comments here, and in other forums, the nikons do work below 0. I wanted to see if there were answers beyond, don't use it below 32 degrees or whatever cause to me that's something fixable.

thanks all.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Sounds like the battery was low/bad. I shot single digit mornings all week with mine....

NIKON D7000    340mm    f/4.5    1/2000s    320 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM
mikereid27

p.1 #12 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

I know you did.....I saw your thread and was crazy jealous haha. Stewed on it all day then posted my thoughts. Was that shot actually 340mm or was it actually closer cause of the crop involving the dx body? That must be a big rig your working with. I'd like to see that long lens on the d7000.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Mike, I was just out screwing around with different combos. Yeah, Exif says: Shot at 340 mm (35mm film equiv: 510mm)
You can get there adding a TC-17E II to the 70-200 f2.8 or the 200 f2. The lighter 300 f4 gives ya FOV of 450mm and is
my preferred handheld BIF combo with the D7K... don't really have anything long but I'll "crop like a 'monkey"

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Mike, You've also got a really nice resource near you called Authorized Photo Service, in Morton Grove, they are extremely helpful and courteous. After checking the battery, making sure you're using OEM batteries, not third party, if you're using a grip, is it a third party grip or Nikon grip when this happens? Has it ever been dropped?(there was a thread a while ago that someone finally 'fessed up to dropping) (I don't have the D7000, just eliminating some common possibilities)

Do you have a way to keep it warm till you're ready to shoot? (ie inside a coat)

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:09 PM
mikereid27

p.1 #15 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Nice options for outdoor shooting monkey. Kinda jealous but I'll get there. I use factory batteries, no grip and no drops, fingers crossed. I do keep it warm, as well as I can. I would love the grip but my wife shoots with this camera too and she hates the bulk so I don't bother getting one...plus from reading this I'd rather have a second battery in my warm pocket and switch it out. Thanks for the brainstorming.

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:37 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #16 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

My first thought was condensation problems but I don't see how that would relate to the LCD not working.

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:38 PM
mikereid27

p.1 #17 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Ya I also thought maybe fog on a lens element could throw off the AF but the battery problen can explain everything. We will c. Its 50-60 degrees in chicago today so who knows haha.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:41 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

I've been out with all my cameras at -12 f. to 114 f. Never had a problem with any. That includes just about everything from D50 up to the D800e

I'm like others and would suspect the battery.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:59 PM
mikereid27

p.1 #19 · cold weather issues d7k...should I just go canon?

Thanks ckcarr I know electronics have certain tolerances but you're proof it is much beyond the manuals recommendations.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password