Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D7000 or D600

sidefunk
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · D7000 or D600

I am currently shooting with a d5100 which I love but have gotten to a point where I can make use of the greater functionality of the d7000, which I have been lusting over for some time now. I would really like to be able to af fine tune as I am getting a slight back focus with my 50 f1.8g, my favorite lens. If I got the d7000 I would have some money for a nice lens, probably the tokina11-16.

I am also hearing great things about the d600 and am still at a point where I have not invested to much in the dx format that I would loss out on any lenses. If I got the d600 I would have to stick with my 50 for some time as I missed out on the kit deal.

I am at a cross roads now because I want to upgrade but what ever I do I will probably stick with for at least 3-5 years and will start considering purchasing some more serious lenses as my skill justifies the expense. Right now I just don' t feel like the quality of my work justifies the expense of going ff. I am pretty new to photography and am getting more interested as time goes on but don' t want to get too far ahead of myself.

Would you guys still go for the d7000 when the d600 is now available?

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:26 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · D7000 or D600

D7000 is not much behind the D600. Bear in mind that switching to FX will carry with it a lot of additional cost with regards to glass. For example, the 55-200 VR is only around $125 which is a very sharp and excellent lens while if you want an FX lens for that focal length you are stuck with the 70-200 f/4. I am not saying they are both the same but you get the idea. In the UWA department you are also stuck with very expensive limited options such as the 16-35 and the 14-24 while you have a plethora of options in DX. Again, FX might render better results but unless for critical work we won't figure the difference.

My recommendation is to go with a used D7000 and for the price difference you can get a nice glass like Nikon 35 1.8, Nikon 17-55 2.8, Tokina 11-16, or any other glass depending on what you shoot. Finally, I recommend buying used from the B&S forum cause you save a lot and retain the value of your glass

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:46 AM
DTOB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · D7000 or D600

FX doesn't have to cost a lot for lenses.

The larger viewfinder makes MF'ing much easier, and there are literally dozens of lenses available on the cheap. MF skills are underrated in this day and age of 151pt autofocus that can see in the dark. I can MF faster than I can move a focus point, so for a lot of shooting, it just makes sense.

For me, I could shoot with a 50 on FX as my only lens and still learn every day. A 50 was the only lens I ever had as a kid. I find it cumbersome on DX, so you'll have to keep that in mind. You might be the opposite.

If I were in your position, I would go with the D600 and the 50. But might not be alike, so act accordingly.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:05 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · D7000 or D600

Sell the D5100 if you want and then buy a D7000 used. The market is soft for both cameras, so the spread will be the same, fortunately for you. Your D5100 is only worth between $350-$375, but you can find a nice used D7000 for ~$700 range. So you're only out $350 more.

From the tone of your post - don't even consider the D600. The price difference is huge.
Your posting mentions money and cost a lot. Obviously it's tight for you right now, or you have other priorities.

A camera body is one of the worst investments you can make. It's like buying a computer which you know will be obsolete in 3-5 years and worth 1/3 or less of your cost.

A new D7000 is $897, a new D600 is $1,996
A used D7000 can be found for ~$700, and a newish/used D600 is $1,600

You can outfit the D600 with nice glass that's affordable with careful shopping, but still... I think you would be operating in a range you don't want to be in right now. Buying a camera body should be painless, when it's affordable.

Oh, I also don't see you "at a crossroads" where you would have to stick with your purchase for 3-5 years, particularly with the D7000 (used). You can buy it, try it, and sell for a minimal loss if it isn't for you. That can be done anytime if you still have the burning desire for the D600.

That's my advice anyway.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:11 AM
sidefunk
• •
p.1 #5 · D7000 or D600

Hijazist, to be honest, I just don't have the sophistication yet to appreciate the difference between the image quality of dx and Fx. From what I am reading the DOF is less for FF and that seems to help a lot for portraits and other shots but in terms of IQ, most of what I see is on the internet and it all look the same to me. So I can see why you would lean to d7000. I think that is probably the way I am swaying right now as well.

DTOB, I was at B&H today checking out both cameras to see what I might want to do. It really is amazing how much bigger the ff viewfinders are. Looking through the d7000 and d600 was like night and day. But boy was i blown away when I looked through the d800. I can see how it would help you to slow down and think about composition not having to shove your face into the camera just to see the full frame. I wear glasses so that does not help either. However, I haven't grow accustomed to such a large view finder so not having it I don't feel like I am missing something.

Manual focusing would be nice but it seems like i just can't quite see well enough to nail it. Maybe FF would help there as well. I am just trying to figure out if I will save myself money in the long run if i dish out the big buck today.

Thanks for your opinions it is helping me weigh my options.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:21 AM
sidefunk
• •
p.1 #6 · D7000 or D600

Ckcarr, money or at least my wife's reaction to me spending money on camera stuff definitely drives this decision process. I guess I can only think about what I will have spend to get a new camera and not also about what I can offset by selling old equipment. I'll have to emphasize that net cost when I show my wife my new camera.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:31 AM
huddy
• • •
p.1 #7 · D7000 or D600

I'd definitely start with a D7000 if I were you. The extra capabilities of the body will be appreciated at a price tag that isn't obscene. If you come to a point where you want or need an FX body later, the D600 price should only continue to fall, whether new or used.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:42 AM
sidefunk
• •
p.1 #8 · D7000 or D600

Thanks for the input. Just listed my d5100.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:29 PM
agelessphotog
• •
p.1 #9 · D7000 or D600

I have a D5100. Bought a D7000. Wasn't happy with the AF on the D7000 so I purchased a D600. The D600 is a way better camera. IQ is better, AF is better, my keeper rate is alot higher. AF-C works MUCH better with the D600. Skin tones look alot better. Low light capabilities are much better. If you can afford it get the D600.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:47 PM
sportsdadof3
• • •
p.1 #10 · D7000 or D600

I have a 7000 (2 months) and shoot primarily in dark gyms, etc. Once you learn the AF system (and I am still learning) it has performed well at 3200 / 6400 to achieve the SS for basketball and that's with an 85mm 1.8 lens. Also, does reasonably well with a 70-200 2.8 lens.

As I continue to learn, my requirements for a camera have changed ... In dark gyms I need snappy AF and points that will cover the focus area. Sacrifice the FPS. D7000 does that reasonably well but the D600 feedback I am reading is that's it better (even tho the focus points remained "condensed" like on the D7k).

What are your primary shooting conditions? Challenging light = D600 / Good to decent light: D7k and invest in good glass (either way) and excellent options have been listed.

I understand budget too with three kids (two in college) and practically everything I own is used, but I would suggest how you are going to use the camera also factor in the decision to purchased.

I believe either camera will be great (with great glass) but final results are based on its intended usage (and of course learning the camera)

Good Luck!

Wendell

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #11 · D7000 or D600

You could always try renting 1 or both. Weekends are usually the cheapest time of the week to do this.

Try:
Cameta Camera, probably a store(s) somewhere in the greater NYC area.
or
http://www.lensrentals.com/ (friendly guy who posts on here)
or
maybe BHphotovideo.com or Adorama in NYC as well.

Numerous others options that will likely cost you around $75 to $125 (guessing) to rent for an entire weekend.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:45 PM
sidefunk
• •
p.1 #12 · D7000 or D600

So after much flip-flopping and almost pulling the trigger on the D600 kits for sales here, I finally decided to go with the D7000. I have only been playing with it for the past couple hours but so far this thing is a beast compared to my D5100. Focus seems to be right on with my 50 1.8g. I am looking forward to getting it in better light to see what it can do.

Going with the D7000 also allowed me a little more flexibility on lenses. I ended up picking up a Nikon 12-24 f/4 of the B&S board here. Looking forward to getting it on my new camera. Thanks for everyone's input.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:23 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · D7000 or D600

I think you made a good decision....i have a d7000, some d300's, and i just bought a d3..personally (in my eyes) the only place the d3 beats the d7000 is in raw speed, build quality, af ability, and honestly that's it. Af ability and speed are both important to me, but i know the difference in af ability and speed between the d600 and d7000 isnt much, if anything at all. The d7k spanks the d3 in dynamic range, and honestly, pretty much matches the d3 in high iso ability up to about 3200...the other thing that was important to me was wider fov, which fx delivers...honestly, dx and fx each have their place, but the d7000 and d600 are awfully close, but i just cant see the d600 being $1,000 better, if you dont NEED the extra file size, and the basically minor increase in image quality...

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:09 AM
sidefunk
• •
p.1 #14 · D7000 or D600

After spending a little more time with my D7000 I am very happy with my decision. Love this camera. The focusing is really a world of difference to me. Makes me wonder what the pro level camera like the D3 must be like for AF.

Maybe in a few years I might think about moving up to FF, but for now I am more than happy with my new little toy.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:42 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #15 · D7000 or D600

Congrats on your new toy/tool. Enjoy.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:12 AM
mikereid27

p.1 #16 · D7000 or D600

I'm happy with my d7000, the full frame allure really keeps me looking for a good deal on a used one, (a guy can dream) but for all purposes save extremely wide angle photo, the dx body works well.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:44 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #17 · D7000 or D600

The D600 is too good for the prices they have been selling for here and over the holiday season. It makes the D800 seem over-priced. With that said the D7000 can be had for a great price as well. Enjoy your new toy!

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #18 · D7000 or D600

I was invested in the Pentax range, K7 then 2 x K5s for a 2-3 years before stepping up to Nikon FX. I think you'll find the d7000 a wonderful camera (very very similar to the K5) and it will certainly keep you interested and learning for a couple of years at least (some people decide they just don't need FX anyway).

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:34 AM
ariel777
• •
p.1 #19 · D7000 or D600

Congratulations on your purchase, Sidefunk. You made a wise decision. The D7000 will serve you well.

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:32 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password