Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 a...

smithcottage
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

Just posted an article discussing the D 600 from the viewpoint of a landscape photographer. Tried to provide a sense of its relation to the D 700, and new Fuji Trans X cameras.
http://henrysmithscottage.wordpress.com/

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:47 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #2 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

Why not post your thoughts directly here? Would probably encourage more conversation...

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:40 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

Seems to be a new trend to make a blog and link back to it, hoping to get followers

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:42 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #4 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

Doesn't feel much differtent than posters who refer to their internet galleries in their posts. I wrote a fairly long article with multiple images.Yes, I would like it to be seen.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

its like 6 miles long, sorry

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:04 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #6 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

smithcottage wrote:
Doesn't feel much differtent than posters who refer to their internet galleries in their posts. I wrote a fairly long article with multiple images.Yes, I would like it to be seen.

I went through the article already.I saw your post first on dpreview. Nice job with nice pictures. I have no issues with your post. I admire people like you. It helps some of us in our purchasing decision. I think I made the right decision buying D600.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:59 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #7 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

^
Agreed -- this was the kind of thing I was looking for when I was researching the D600 before I bought it.

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:54 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #8 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

Thanks for your support. I too look for a variety of reports , professional and non professional before deciding to buy gear.I appreciate those who take the time to make their impressions available free to us.
In some ways , the non-professional sites may be more reliable in some ways. Who knows where the bucks flow between pro reviewers and manufacturers. Not bribes, but entertainment, access to gear...

No one's likely give me anything.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TaTaToothy

p.1 #9 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

Nice piece, and I appreciated the comparisons to other platforms!

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:14 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #10 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

I think there are a lot of people for instance, with D 700s trying to decide whether a D 600 could replace it. I tried to help answer that question ( though there is an issue with slower flash shutter synch speed in the D 600 thay may cause D 700 owners to stand pat.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:10 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

smithcottage wrote:
I think there are a lot of people for instance, with D 700s trying to decide whether a D 600 could replace it. I tried to help answer that question ( though there is an issue with slower flash shutter synch speed in the D 600 thay may cause D 700 owners to stand pat.

I would think for the Landscape photographer, the shutter synch speed would be of no concern. I know I never use a flash when shooting landscapes. And while there might be an opportunity to flash some light as the natural light is dying, those cases for 99% of the people would be very rare indeed.

Nice job with the write up.

Jim

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:54 AM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #12 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

Who said I just do landscapes. I occasionally dabble in other types of photography including "strobist" type work.

BTW, just finished a model shoot where the D 600 had some autofucus issues (used a 70-200 VR f2.8 I) Oddly enough, no issue with the AF of the X Pro 1.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Chris Court
• •
p.1 #13 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

In your first image, surely the D700 is the body on the left, rather than the right? Also, you'd generally be rappelling off some cliff in the Amazon Basin, rather than repelling off it.

Aside from that, nice review!

C

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

I appreciate this type of amateur writeup. Obviously you aren't making money on it, so it provides a nice perspective.

No need to jump on Jim though, you implied that this writeup was for landscapers...

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:49 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

smithcottage wrote:
Who said I just do landscapes. I occasionally dabble in other types of photography including "strobist" type work.

BTW, just finished a model shoot where the D 600 had some autofucus issues (used a 70-200 VR f2.8 I) Oddly enough, no issue with the AF of the X Pro 1.

Hey Henry,

No one said you just did landscapes, at least I didn't say that. But in the very beginning you said you were discussing the differences from the viewpoint of a LANDSCAPE photographer:

smithcottage wrote:
Just posted an article discussing the D 600 from the viewpoint of a landscape photographer. Tried to provide a sense of its relation to the D 700, and new Fuji Trans X cameras.
http://henrysmithscottage.wordpress.com/

So when you then made the comment about that the flash sync speed might cause some D700 users to not want to switch, I was simply reminding you that based on YOUR original premise of the writeup being for Landscape photographers, that as landscape photographers the flash sync speed would rarely ever be in our thoughts... I put it out there as a friendly reminder based on your premise not mine.

Jim

PS.. for me, having used the D700 for years, and now having shot the D600 a couple of times at the beach, I would say that it would make a very capable replacement for the D700, the increased resolution and DR, the better high ISO handling is awesome. The D600 appears to focus very well in dimly lit areas. It would take a little getting used to for someone who comes from a D700 in regards to button placement, and it doesn't use the 10 pin connecter for the remote release. But besides that, I think the D600 would be a great replacement where it counts the most, the image quality.

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:07 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #16 · Some thought on the D600, and its relation to the D 700 and X Pro 1

OK , I got it. From a landscapers point of view, and no other, other than ruggedness, the D 600 rocks! I am impressed how you hold me to my original premise.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:42 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password