Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Basketball Backboard Cam

matt.garnett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Basketball Backboard Cam

I'm thinking about buying gear to set up an extra body behind the glass at games. What kind of experience do you have of doing this? How should I attached it?

Right now I'm kinda thinking a 5D Mark II since I really want a full frame camera and I want to start doing videos. I know that it has a slow frame rate and slow focus, but the focus shouldn't be an issue since it's going to be on manual focus. Yeah the frame rate will suck, but is it that much of a problem?

For mounting I've heard the Manfrotto Magic Arm is the way to go. What are your thoughts?

Lens wise, I'm kinda up in the air about the 17-40 f/4 and the 16-35 f/2.8. Will I be able to shoot at a high enough iso with the 17-40 to stop fast action and keep the noise to a minimum? Also, is the weight of the lens that big of a deal?

Lastly, how do you go about setting this rig up? How early should you show up, who should you talk to, where do you get a ladder? I'm sure this is probably very venue specific, but I'm interested to hear what your experiences are.

Thank you

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Basketball Backboard Cam

First of all, make sure you have insurance...

After you get that taken care of read this:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1062

Tons of info...

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Basketball Backboard Cam

mkchang - Thanks for that link, lots of good stuff. Definitely answered a lot of questions.

I still would like to know some of your opinions on the 5D Mark II and 17-40 as my remote setup, how do you feel about the combination?

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Basketball Backboard Cam

If it's bright enough to be shoot at f4 then go for it.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.