Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Precautions in extreme cold

Jcaron5

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Precautions in extreme cold

Fist of all I should introduce myself. I have been lurking here for quite a long time. I have made a few purchases from members here, a Canon 7D as well as a 70-200 F4 IS. I upgraded from a 20D to the 7 and so far I am very happy. I am strictly a hobbyist with my daughters being the majority of my photo subjects with a few nature shots since I live in Maine. I have learned a lot here by simply reading, reading and reading more. So, thank you to all that contribute.

Now my question. I am planning on a 1200 mile snowmobile trip through Canada this winter and I am contemplating taking my camera. I will have it on my back in a Lowepro flipside sport. Are there any precautions I should take other than keeping the batteries inside a warm coat pocket while I ride? I am not sure if I WILL drag the camera along as I may simply rely on the camera in my iPhone but I am sure there will be a big difference in the images I collect if I choose the iphone route.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Precautions in extreme cold

Hi,

Your camera and lens will fog up big time if you take them into a warm, heated building, unless you put them in a plastic bag first, or keep them in the Flipside (which makes for nice, gradual warming up).

I suggest you keep the batteries as close as possible to your body. Maybe in a travel neck bag thingy that's designed to keep a passport and a few small things inside your shirt.

Have a great trip!

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:04 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Precautions in extreme cold

Ask this in the Canon section, you won't get many replies here. But jcolwell advice is solid.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Jcaron5

p.1 #4 · Precautions in extreme cold

Thank you! I was not sure since it was not Canon specific.

jcowell, thank you for the advice. I had not considered a bag..

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Precautions in extreme cold

As mentioned above #1 Aclimatize your lenses and bodies. #2 Batteries!!!!!!!!! Keep them charged and warm. Buy thos had warmers and keep them wrapped.
Dress apporpriately!
Good shooting!
Dan

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:15 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Precautions in extreme cold

There are numerous threads on this if you do a search. The advice is pretty constant:

1. Condensation when going from cold to warm - leave the camera in a bag until its warmed up. Don't be tempted to take out memory cards, change lenses etc until it is warm (do this before you go inside).

2. Battery power - keep them warm.

3. Keep your hands warm - cameras are metal, and in very low temps frostbite is a real possibility.

4. At close to 0C snow is wet and soft. Below maybe -5C it is hard and abrasive. Bear this in mind when getting snow on your camera and lenses, and when you clean it off.

Also, more specific to the snowmobile aspect:

5. Hard and/or pointy objects in pockets and bags can cause ruptured kidneys, splein etc in the event of an accident. This is probably as true for snowmobile accidents as for motorcycle accidents.

6. Keep yourself warm. I've seen a test comparing motorbike control when extremely cold and when very drunk. You have less control when cold.

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:24 AM
Jcaron5

p.1 #7 · Precautions in extreme cold

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the input.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:50 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password