Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New lightroom version

Drayken
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New lightroom version

I have lightroom 3, and have been out of editing for awhile. I just built a new PC and got a new monitor. Does anyone have an estimate of when Lightroom 5 will be released? Should I upgrade to LR4 or wait?

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · New lightroom version

I'd guess you have another year before LR5

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #3 · New lightroom version

The editing in LR4 is substantially improved over 3 and well worth the $70-80 upgrade

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:56 AM
Drayken
• • •
p.1 #4 · New lightroom version

ok. thx guys

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:23 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · New lightroom version

mhayes5254 wrote:
The editing in LR4 is substantially improved over 3 and well worth the $70-80 upgrade

Technically it may be but the actual experience of using the product is a step back for a significant number.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Claude
• • • •
p.1 #6 · New lightroom version

I would suggest to try it before upgrading. I like the new editing in LR4 but it is slow on my older iMac. With your new PC it might be okay.
Claude

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Drayken
• • •
p.1 #7 · New lightroom version

Claude wrote:
I would suggest to try it before upgrading. I like the new editing in LR4 but it is slow on my older iMac. With your new PC it might be okay.
Claude

Might be ok? It better be. I dumped an i7 3770 and 16gigs of RAM and 250gig SSD

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #8 · New lightroom version

Just try the free trial......

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · New lightroom version

LR4 will run fine at those specs. Once you get used to the re-designed tone editing sliders, you'll find process 2012 to be very powerful. I've gone back to images that I edited a year or two ago and can make them look better in less time in LR4.

Jan 12, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · New lightroom version

You can speed things up in Lr4 by not applying luminance noise reduction until you have to. Make it the last edit step you do and you'll get faster loading and browsing of your images up until you do apply it - especially in the develop module. The NR is quite impressive but it slows things down.

Also be aware that you do not need to convert your images to process 2012 in one go when you first convert your old catalog to Lr4. Keep the old process that you are familiar with until you gain some experience with 2012. That way you can avoid trying to keep Lr3 running on a separate catalog of separate image files.

Put the catalog and previews and acr cache on an SSD if you can.

- Alan

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:35 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password