Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

okafoja
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

I cannot for the life of me handhold any shot with my D800 or D600 with shutter speed below 1/125 without a lens that has VR. I mean anything below 1/125 l will get crazy blur images. I was experiencing this issue with D800 and I keep blaming it on 36mp. Now that I have my D600 I am seeing it again.

I don't have this issue with my 5DIII. I can easily handhold my 5DIII down to 1/60 without any issues. Is there any reason why my 5DIII is behaving differently.

I took a graduation picture with my D600 yesterday and every shot below 1/125 was blur. I am talking about 70% of the shots. Unfortunately for me the VR on the lens was turned off without me noticing it.

D600 @ 1/80,85mm, f4.5 with VR tuned off. No Flash

D600 @ 1/80, 105mm f4.0 with VR on. No Flash. This image is very sharp.

5DIII @ 1/60 85mm f2.8 no flash.

Edited on Jan 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM
talexander
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

What focal length these shot at? The general rule is 1/focal length so if your using a 70-300 you want your shutter speed to be 1/70th to 1/300 at a minimum.

Tim

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM
wellsjt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

You didn't mention the focal length and that is rather important. I checked the exif: The first and last one are at 85mm and the middle one is 105mm. You shot the blurry one at 1/80 second at 85mm. When I shoot that slow, my probability of blurry shots goes up so I shoot faster. Kind of like what you did with the last one, which is at 1/160 (not 1/60). Shoot faster with respect to your focal length and you will increase your keepers.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

The 5dmkIII shot looks like a studio shot with flash. The other look outdoor where you have balanced the flash with ambient light or completely ambient. Big difference in what will be sharp.

I can shoot flash and a 1 second shutter and not have any blur. When flash lighting all of your subject without any help from ambient, then the shutter speed is essentially the flash duration.

Maybe you can explain more on the setup. What was the focal lenght?

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Red G8R
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

I've had that experience too. With my D600/85/1.8, I've had a few blurred shots at 1/60 yet not with my D4. So, like you, I've bumped up my minimum speed to 1/125 on the D600.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

More aggressive sharpening can still rescue to a certain degree.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

Sorry Guys I forgot to show the exif. It is updated now.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

Honestly, I like the before a lot better. The one on the right is unflattering and looks like HDR, but maybe that's just me

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
woos
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

Mirror slap maybe. 5d3 mirror seems much better dampened and smoother. That's my experience as well, that there is a difference in what you can handhold without stabilization between the two. I have a d800 and gf has 5d3 which I use sometimes. D800 has some obnoxious mirror slap that rears its head between 1/2 second and 1/60th of a second or so, you might try mirror lockup and see if that makes any difference. *shrug*

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

Hardcore wrote:
The 5dmkIII shot looks like a studio shot with flash. The other look outdoor where you have balanced the flash with ambient light or completely ambient. Big difference in what will be sharp.

I can shoot flash and a 1 second shutter and not have any blur. When flash lighting all of your subject without any help from ambient, then the shutter speed is essentially the flash duration.

Maybe you can explain more on the setup. What was the focal lenght?

5DIII is not a studio and no flash. It was taken in an entrance of a hotel lobby. iso2500 @f/2.8 1/60.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

okafoja
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

woos wrote:
Mirror slap maybe. 5d3 mirror seems much better dampened and smoother. That's my experience as well, that there is a difference in what you can handhold without stabilization between the two. I have a d800 and gf has 5d3 which I use sometimes. D800 has some obnoxious mirror slap that rears its head between 1/2 second and 1/60th of a second or so, you might try mirror lockup and see if that makes any difference. *shrug*

That might explain it. It kind of make sense to me now. I mean anything below 1/125 is crazy blur. It is very frustrating.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

hijazist wrote:
Honestly, I like the before a lot better. The one on the right is unflattering and looks like HDR, but maybe that's just me

That's what you get when you try to sharpen blur image.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

wellsjt wrote:
You didn't mention the focal length and that is rather important. I checked the exif: The first and last one are at 85mm and the middle one is 105mm. You shot the blurry one at 1/80 second at 85mm. When I shoot that slow, my probability of blurry shots goes up so I shoot faster. Kind of like what you did with the last one, which is at 1/160 (not 1/60). Shoot faster with respect to your focal length and you will increase your keepers.

You right. I looked at it again. The last one was shot at 1/160. Bad example but I have plenty shot at 1/60 with no issue.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

there is a chance that it is pure hasard. to test this out you should take 20 or more shots with each camera at 1/125 and then 1/60 and see by how much one set betters the other.

I dont think that one camera will always deliver a sharp shot while the other camera will always deliver blured images. there may be a difference but it's certainly not black and while

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM
dwerther
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

woos wrote:
...you might try mirror lockup and see if that makes any difference. *shrug*

Going to be hard to handhold and frame the shot with the mirror locked up, won't it?

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:18 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

Hulot wrote:
there is a chance that it is pure hasard. to test this out you should take 20 or more shots with each camera at 1/125 and then 1/60 and see by how much one set betters the other.

I dont think that one camera will always deliver a sharp shot while the other camera will always deliver blured images. there may be a difference but it's certainly not black and while

About 35 shots were blur. All of them between 1/80 to 1/100. I knew this already with my D800 but never expected it with D600.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

These bodies may be too light for you to handhold properly at that shutter speed for the FL. Just a thought..

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

Yes, increasing the shutter speed will help, but I find the 1/focal length rule of thumb works quite well, blurry shots are the exception rather than the majority.

How steady can you hold the camera, are you seeing the shake when you look through the viewfinder without VR?
- I wonder if you can work on your hand-holding technique, and find a more stable stance (eg tuck your elbows into your body etc)

Sorry I can't comment on the Nikon Vs Canon bit, I only own Canon

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

scottam10 wrote:
Yes, increasing the shutter speed will help, but I find the 1/focal length rule of thumb works quite well, blurry shots are the exception rather than the majority.

How steady can you hold the camera, are you seeing the shake when you look through the viewfinder without VR?
- I wonder if you can work on your hand-holding technique, and find a more stable stance (eg tuck your elbows into your body etc)

Sorry I can't comment on the Nikon Vs Canon bit, I only own Canon

+1 handholding technique and personal condition (a mug coffee too much, a bit of shiver with cold and so on) play a mayor role. Ergonomics of the camera too (do you shoot with a battery grip?).

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Can someone please explain this phenomenon for me.

georgms wrote:
+1 handholding technique and personal condition (a mug coffee too much, a bit of shiver with cold and so on) play a mayor role. Ergonomics of the camera too (do you shoot with a battery grip?).

I can't even imagine shooting without a battery grip. I have battery grip for both D800 and D600 except 5DIII. 5DIII fits me like a glove. D800 and D600 also fits me perfectly with the grips.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password