Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Impressive comments about D800 Video capability

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Impressive comments about D800 Video capability

A while back many of us saw the report that Nikon D800 cameras had been used in the filming of some television shows. This brief article has some pretty impressive comments from a professional cameraman and a postproduction supervisor about the video quality:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/01/10/nikon-d800-shooting-dexter.aspx/#more-51760

When they looked at D800 footage alongside the ARRI baseline at Technicolor, he says, "we really couldn't see much difference. But our jaws really hit the floor when we brought up the compressed D800 footage. Right then the decision was made with the post supervisor Megan Walsh that if we shoot with this camera, there is no need to shoot uncompressed. That means the file size goes from 4GB to 600 MB. That's just the factory setup, too."

Pretty cool.

brad

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Impressive comments about D800 Video capability

that is pretty sweet....In the photo they show the d800 mounted in kinda a fixed gimble setup....mounted at the bottom tripod mount, and at the top from the hot shoe....i'm not sure i'm crazy about that mount, especially considering the size of the lower mount not being too huge.....looks kinda shady......Also, i cant say i'm too surprised that the D800 did a good job....it's in a studio environment, with color balanced, controlled lighting, prob at a very low ISO.....still really impressed that it beat out the C300...

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Impressive comments about D800 Video capability

I believe that the comment is significant because it validates the use of D800 compressed files (a substantial saving in post production time and costs) and that it compares well with the Canon system-at 10X the price.

As to the mount: It's not pretty but you can be sure it works for the purpose for which it was designed otherwise they would have gone with something prettier and off the shelf.

Jan 13, 2013 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password