Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

LXShooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

I'm considering selling my OM-D for an NEX-6. From my tests, the files from the NEX-6 seem a little more appealing. The NEX-6 also handles a lot better too without having to purchase the extra grip that costs as much as a nice lens. Is there anyone who switch from an OM-D to the NEX-6? Just want to know how you like it so far seems the switch.

-Lex

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM
alba63
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

You want to switch a whole system because the files are a "little more appealing"?

Where do you feel limited with OM-D quality?

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

I compared the NEX-7 to the EM-5 and much preferred the shooting experience (and slightly preferred the IQ) of the NEX.

Since the EM-5 has a similar pixel density to the NEX-7 (sort of like a crop of the same sensor), I kinda consider them a more apples-to-apples comparison. The NEX-6 is going to have lower pixel density and presumably better IQ (at least low light) than either.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

I hate m43 files for some reason. They don't feel right to me. I had a full GX-1 system and didn't mind the shooting aspect, but could not stand processing the files. Same with the EPL-1 and GF-1. Have not tried an OM-D yet though.

I bought a NEX-6 on boxing day and have been very impressed so far.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM
bmwrider75
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Ryan - I hated m4/3 files until I bought an OM-D. The files from the OM-D are just as good as from my D7000 and better than my T2i/Xsi.

I bought and returned a GF1 and EPL2 before trying the OM-D, and now I'm a convert. They're not FF quality of course, but that's obvious.

dc

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

I went from NEX-5N to OM-D and the 5N gave nicer IQ in my opinion. Don't know about the NEX-6 though, but from my experience of the OM-D, I would probably choose the 6. The problem is that the MFT lenses are much more convenient for a small system and very good (at least the primes).

Edit: Let's see if I can link to an image from Steve Huffs site. Look at the OM-D image. It's almost monochrome. That's why the noise is so low and that's why I didn't like it.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM
bmwrider75
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

I don't find ISO 6400 to be useable on the OM-D. Nor would I personally use it on any of those cameras listed above, which all look horrible (except maybe the RX1). ISO 3200 is feasible in certain conditions on the OM-D, and 1600 is a non-issue, and looks great.

For me, this is an easy one stop improvement over my former Canon crop-sensor cameras, and about equal to my D7000. My D600/800 had useable ISO 6400, so they had at least a stop, maybe 1.5 over my OM-D.

The size/weight is another universe. I was considering the NEX also, but the size of the m4/3 primes won me over, and the speed (for the size) available more than makes up for any minimal IQ improvement of the larger-sensor NEX (if there is any).

I'm not sure what lens Steve was using for those images - that may have played a role in the colour reproduction. I find the kit zoom to be pretty underwhelming.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Surprisingly, the one factor people don't talk about much when discussing m4/3 vs. NEX and Fuji X system is the aspect ratio preference.

Personally, I like 3:2 and when I had my GF-1 I was cropping the 4:3 ratio to 3:2. When you do this the amount of sensor area used is a lot smaller on m4/3 as compared to APS-C.

I know others hate 3:2 and prefer 4:3.

In comparing these systems, I would recommend asking yourself which aspect ratio you tend to prefer and making that a pretty significant factor in your decision.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM
LXShooter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Yes, I would like to switch my whole system which includes the OM-D with the 12-50 for an NEX-6 and maybe a kit lens too. And yes, the more appealing of the image files is important to me. Also, the handling of the NEX-6 seems more comfortable to use. Might not be good reasons for some to switch but I think I'll take the chance. It's not like I'm switching from Nikon to Canon.

alba63 wrote:
You want to switch a whole system because the files are a "little more appealing"?

Where do you feel limited with OM-D quality?

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM
LXShooter
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

ryankarr wrote:
I hate m43 files for some reason. They don't feel right to me. I had a full GX-1 system and didn't mind the shooting aspect, but could not stand processing the files. Same with the EPL-1 and GF-1. Have not tried an OM-D yet though.

I bought a NEX-6 on boxing day and have been very impressed so far.

Same here. OM-D files are very similar to the EPL files IMO. Better ISO performance but still that typical M/43 look. I'm not going to say I hate the files of M43 because the JPG files are pretty darn good, but NEX-6 files do look cleaner in my eyes. I do like the IBIS a lot and the menu system.

Edited on Jan 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Interesting. I use a Nikon D700 for my work, and am building an M43 system for travel etc, and its based on the GX1. I have to say I am delighted with the images I get from it. I always shoot RAW and have created presets for each lens.
I took my GX1 along with me on a job and shot some images alongside the Nikon. After processing you would be very hard pressed to tell which camera the images came from.
So I'm a happy M43 user

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

bmwrider75 wrote:
I don't find ISO 6400 to be useable on the OM-D. Nor would I personally use it on any of those cameras listed above, which all look horrible (except maybe the RX1). ISO 3200 is feasible in certain conditions on the OM-D, and 1600 is a non-issue, and looks great.

This was the only comparison image I could find, and I never used ISO 6400 on my OM-D either. But the difference is there at lower ISO:s as well. The OM-D colors just don't appeal to me and I think it's because of a weak CFA which is there to give low noise.

I'm not sure what lens Steve was using for those images - that may have played a role in the colour reproduction. I find the kit zoom to be pretty underwhelming.

Lenses don't affect color noise.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:18 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Note that comparing these files ISO-by-ISO isn't necessarily the most fair way to compare, depending on what you shoot. The IBIS of the E-M5 will bring the IQ higher than several of the other cameras in that test, if you can use it in your shooting scenarios. IMO the main IQ difference worth speaking of is at base ISO, where the smaller sensors have noisier results, and the IBIS can't help.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:31 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

carstenw wrote:
Note that comparing these files ISO-by-ISO isn't necessarily the most fair way to compare, depending on what you shoot. The IBIS of the E-M5 will bring the IQ higher than several of the other cameras in that test, if you can use it in your shooting scenarios. IMO the main IQ difference worth speaking of is at base ISO, where the smaller sensors have noisier results, and the IBIS can't help.

I never cared about the noise, but the colors never appealed to me. It took several months to find out what was wrong and initially I thought it was some of the lenses, but it wasn't. I'd prefer a noisier camera with better colors any day.
Regarding the IBIS, it was difficult to use as well. You never knew if the image was gonna end up sharp or not.

The only reason I switched from the NEX-5N was that it gave severe curvature of field with my favourite lens, the Summicron 28/2. In most other ways, it suited me better than the OM-D.

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:42 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Hmm, you may two points which surprise me, and which I haven't heard before. The IBIS has a great reputation in general (although clearly not in your case), and the Olympus colours are generally very well liked. The issue with the Olympus files is normally said to be that they have some noise even at base ISO in places like skies, and that they are a bit thin to work with (as opposed to fat FF files, or medium APS-C files).

Which colours didn't you like with the E-M5?

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

carstenw wrote:
Hmm, you may two points which surprise me, and which I haven't heard before. The IBIS has a great reputation in general (although clearly not in your case), and the Olympus colours are generally very well liked. The issue with the Olympus files is normally said to be that they have some noise even at base ISO in places like skies, and that they are a bit thin to work with (as opposed to fat FF files, or medium APS-C files).

Which colours didn't you like with the E-M5?

I often have an other opinion than everybody else, so it's no surprise. The IBIS is great, when it does what it does. But you don't know when it's gonna do. I'd say it's only useable at very slow shutter speeds, like 1/2-1/10 of a second with the 25 mm lens. Anything faster than that, it might just end up less sharp than if you didn't use it. Maybe I'm too steady, I don't know.

The colors look "plasticky" and I really can't put my finger on exactly what I don't like. But I think it's the lack of nuances. Noise is nothing to worry about at all and I've never cared for it, almost regardless of camera. Even the M8 was very usable to me, and THERE we can talk about nice colors.

Edit: Here's one of the less obvious examples with the 12/2. Where are all the shades of green?

1001 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

I agree Martin. I love almost everything about the OM-D... but it was always the look of the images that held me back. There's a flat look to many of them. They just don't have the tonality I like (the ones from the 25/1.4 might be an exeption).

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

Careful comparing high ISO OM-D images vs other cameras if one is using Adobe to do the RAW conversion.

Adobe, for whatever reason, has a noticeable color shift around browns/reds when looking at high ISO files from the OMD.

This same shift is not present in Capture 1. This shift will be present in the colors, as well as any shadow detail or attempted shadow lifting. Capture 1 keeps shadows dark (for the most part, as could be expected in a m43 ISO6400 shot) whereas Adobe gives a horrid magenta bias to the shadows.

That's not to say ISO 6400 is very good on the OMD, it isn't unless it's the best of cases, but the color shifting thing isn't a fault of the sensor, but the RAW converter.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

I'm very confused....to me, the OM-D crop in the comparison above is head and shoulders above all the others. What are you all seeing? There's no chroma noise, there's no awful blotching like in all the others. Frankly, the OM-D crop there looks SO much better to me that I think something is off. When I compared the NEX-7 to the OM-D directly they looked practically identical at similar high ISO...not the enormous difference presented in the crops above. And I can't fathom how anyone here can look at those crops and prefer one of the other crops. It's not like you couldn't up saturation or such on the OM-D image and still have it look better.

Still, I think something is off, as there is not that big of a difference between the NEX-7 and OM-D at ISO 6400.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Olympus OM-D vs NEX-6

In fact, here's my comparison shots that I did in dim lighting between the two cameras when I had the NEX-7. The color is more accurate here in the OM-D image, as the thread was really that color maroon. They are similar per pixel, though the OM-D seems to resolve a little more of the thread. The funky pattern in the lower left is the wood grain of the table, BTW, not some odd noise patterning.

NEX-7 @ ISO 6400:

OM-D @ ISO 6400:

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:00 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password