Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims ...

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims for Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch

So the other day (Monday) I get an email along with all the other Denver area MaxPreps shooters that Missy Franklin was going to be swimming at Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch on Tuesday and Cherry Creek the following week and that there were limited media spots. If Maxpreps wanted coverage, they needed to get in now. The meet was at RJ and about 30 miles and close to an hour away from me. I am on the northwest side of Denver, and the school is on the south east side. Other shooters were closer to the pool than I was, and as much as I wanted to shoot the meet, I decided to let someone else have it. But no one was jumping on it. There were a couple, I might shoot next weeks meet, but not tomorrows. So finally I said to myself, "REALLY? A multiple gold medalist at last summers Olympics swimming for her high school and no one wants to shoot it? REALLY?" So I jumped on it.

I headed down to Aurora, and found the school. I got their early so I could scout locations, but found out that because of Missy swimming, media were were stuck over by the scorers table and could not get down on the deck. No flash/strobes allowed for the start, so I had my 7D with 70-200 2.8 set at ISO 2500 and my 1D MkII with my 120-300 2.8 and my 580 EXII bounced off the ceiling (inflatable white dome) set to either 1/4 or 1/2 power in manual set at ISO 800. I shot both schools but my breakup was 75% Missy 25% everyone else.

The ambient light sucked. 8 metal halide lamps (2 in each corner) pointed up. Cycling lights and high, HIGH ISO. Yuck.

1. Missy and a teammate having fun talking about the Justin Bieber concert the night before (I never ever thought I would ever type Bieber)

2. Missy loosens up her arms prior to the start of one of her 4 heats.

3. Next three photos are of Missy in the Butterfly. No deck shooting so I could not get the classic head on shot.

6. Next two shots are of Missy swimming the Backstroke during a IM

8. Missy swimming the breast stroke

9. Congrats to the opposing team for such a good race (Missy finished about a pool length minimum ahead of everyone)

10. Cheering on a teammate

11. Cheering on a teammate in the 400 freestyle relay

12. Opposing team swimmers all wanted photos with an Olympian.

Edited on Jan 11, 2013 at 01:36 AM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims for Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch

That's awesome, Carl. It's great that you were able to jump at this chance. Nice photos. I'm guessing you are not aware that 1, 10, 11 and 12 are all the same image.

It's almost shocking to see her in this setting and remember she is still in high school!

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims for Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch

Can't believe noone jumped on this...like #7...

Chris

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims for Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch

Thanks everyone...I fixed the duplicate images...was in a rush to get those up and me out the door to Boulder for tonights Pac-12 home opener against USC

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:46 AM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims for Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch

That is pretty cool. Good job Carl.

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steven King
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims for Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch

Carl,
You did a great job of capturing many great shots and angles of this "high school" swimmer, SLASH Olympic champion. Well done!

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:36 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims for Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch

Very nice shots, Carl, especially with the restrictions you had. Doesn't seem fair for an Olympic Champion to compete against high school swimmers, but she is still in high school. At least they can say they competed against her.

Bill

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:21 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims for Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch

Great opportunity & some nice shots. Thanks for sharing Carl.

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · fixed!! 4x US Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin swims for Regis Jesuit against Highlands Ranch

Thanks everyone for the comments.

BillP57, I am torn on it though. Although a lot of the other team wanted photos and were starstruck, Missy was obviously still a teenager. She was having fun with her friends, and she is not swimming in every meet. She is letting the team swim as much as they can without her to avoid a media circus everytime she hits the pool. She wanted to swim in this weeks meet and next to qualify for state and because it was her schools rival teams. So, she will compete at least one more time before they head to state.

I dealt with that when I was in Alaska and photographed then Senior girls soccer player Kelly Cobb. She was a member of the team USA U-18 team and when she was in town she would play for her high school, but it was hit and miss when she would be there, but when she was there, other teams would just wilt at the sight of her.

Jan 12, 2013 at 04:48 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password