Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · hiking/travel tripod for nikon full frame

Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · hiking/travel tripod for nikon full frame

So I have a rather heavy duty slik tripod that I like quite a bit, unfortunately it is a bear to drag around and for long hikes just a no go.

So... I'm looking at something that is
A) Lightweight
B) Sturdy enough. (ideally to handle up to something like a 70-200 VR II, though I don't have one yet, I suppose this isn't a deal breaker though)
C) Easy to carry in a backpack, handheld, or next to me in crowded back seat.

Tons of options. I don't need the best of the best, just good enough that I'll feel compelled to drag it along everywhere. I'll still have a more heavy duty tripod to fall back to.

I'm thinking a concise package that isn't any more than 3lbs. That doable?

I've read benro has some good stuff. . . but there seem to be a million options out there.

Any advice?

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:53 PM
godfather
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · hiking/travel tripod for nikon full frame

IMO the best option for long hikes is a short tripod. Meaning look for the sturdiest model that meets your weight requirement but do not worry about the height of the tripod. It is not very convenient to use a tripod that is at waist height but I'd rather work off a sturdy 3 section and bend over vs a tall thin leg 4 section w/center post that is never going to be stable...

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #3 · hiking/travel tripod for nikon full frame

I have been using a Feisol CT3441S for several years. It is about as light as you can get in a full sized, sturdy tripod -- a little more than 1 Kg. I have had a few issues with it, such as leg sections not sliding well when wet, wear on the leg angle stops, etc. But it all in all it has been a good choice for the application you describe. The legs fold over so the folded length is about 18 inches, even though this is a 4-section leg (studier than 5). Feisol makes other models with higher specs, depending on how much weight you want to carry.

I would also look at the Sirui N2204, with similar specs to the Feisol, only slightly heavier, and with an option of detaching one leg as a monopod.

Dave

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kayaker72

p.1 #4 · hiking/travel tripod for nikon full frame

A hiking/travel tripod combination is my current photography project. I have a thread going over at TDP (http://community.the-digital-picture.com/showthread.php?t=7067).

My conclusions:
Tripod--Gitzo Traveler Series (I bought the GT1542T), Really Right Stuff TQC-14, or the Feisol CT3441. If you are willing to have just a bit more weight, the GT2541 comes in at 3 lbs or one of the other RRS tripods.

Ball heads--Markins Q3T or Really Right Stuff BH-30 or BH-40

The Gitzo GT1542T plus either the Markins Q3T or RRS BH-30 would be ~3 lbs. My only issue with the GT1542T is that with a ball head attached, it will be ~19-19.5 inches. This is actually great, and much more compact that most tripod combinations. But the GT1541T and the GT1544T have a shorter center column that allows the ball head to be positioned between the legs when completely collapsed. This result in a total collapsed length of 16.7". Thus, I am looking for a shorter center column for my GT1542T. Just so you know, right now it is cheaper to buy a new GT1542T and replace the center column than it is to buy a GT1544T.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:19 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #5 · hiking/travel tripod for nikon full frame

moonpeep wrote:
Tons of options. I don't need the best of the best...

The Gitzo and RRS travelers are high-end solutions but if you're looking for good value Benro and Feisol provide a pretty good product for what you pay. I'm not familiar with Feisol tripods but they are well liked by their users. Look at the models with milled aluminum bases, more expensive than their other models but almost certainly worth it in the long run.

I am familiar with the Benro line and I'm in my third year of use of their C2680T model which has given me sterling service. Right now I'm on vaca in Vermont with it and it's standing up to the snow and cold pretty well. If you'd like to read more about this particular model including specs I reported on it here.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:38 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #6 · hiking/travel tripod for nikon full frame

book mark thanks for the post

Sep 04, 2013 at 10:32 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password