Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Chiefdog72
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Went over to Montana De Oro Tuesday……This is where Islay Creek meets the ocean.

CC or anything else you want to say is much appreciated.....

Or where the ocean meets Islay Creek……My feet got wet shooting this one.

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:17 PM
broncoholic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Very nice...I like both!

~Mike~

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:24 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Way too hdr for me...does the water flow of scotch? Yum

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Hi Bruce,

I agree with Aaron, too HDR looking for me. But of the compositions, if you were to process them differently, #2 would be my favorite.

Jim

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #5 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Me three. #2 would be fabulous with some darker water to set off the light on the right hand rock. A slight crop from the left to get rid of the much brighter portion of the water/rocks would be great too.

Tim

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #6 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Mike; thank you…… I’m glad you liked them.

Aaron, thanks for the comment….not sure how scotch flows, if you mean really fast you’re correct. These were taken just a few seconds apart with the same settings; the creek is not flowing very fast so in the first shot the water is barely blurred. The tide was coming in and when the wave hits just right the wave comes crashing up this small cove very fast.

Jim, thanks for your comment; I’m trying to mimic some of your beautiful wave in the rocks shots………The lighting was very dramatic with the red sunset hitting the bluff on the right giving it a bright, beautiful glow while the creek and the rocks where I was were mostly in the shade. I’ve just installed CS6 so I’ll play with the processing some more, maybe the dynamic range of the scene is just too much and I don’t have any ND grads yet (trying to decide which system to get) to balance the light……..it was a beautiful scene in person.

Thank you very much Tim, like I told Jim, I’ll try some different processing and see what happens; I can definitely get darker water. The bright spots on the rocks are reflections of the sky even though they are in the shade. I thought the reflection might be a problem so I used a polarizer but it didn’t stop all of the glare. I’ll certainly give your crop suggestion a try and see what that looks like. Maybe I’m trying to capture too much, it was a beautiful scene, but had some complex lighting going on.

Again, thank all of you for your comments, they really help me.
Bruce

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:25 AM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

islay is my favorite malt...scotch...ah nevermind...

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:48 PM
rxgolf
• • •
p.1 #8 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Bruce, I will leave the PP suggestions to the pros here, but that is such a great spot you have chosen to shoot. Here in the middle of the country, those spots are reserved for dreams. I really enjoy the way it appears the ocean could empty on top of you! The light might have been very complex, but the subject is worth the time!
Greg

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:28 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Hey Bruce,

An ND grad wouldn't have helped you here really. You could have used it, but then you would have been dealing with the bluff on the right being too dark.

Again, you got some super lighting in this, I have shot from that area a few times, and you have captured it's beauty really well. Shooting it towards sunset does make for a harder lighting situation for one to deal with, but in both of these now, you have the basics of 2 great shots.

A couple of suggestions for finishing these off. In CS6, use the contrast adjustment to add more contrast, and then use the brightness slider to control blowing out the sky. Perhaps you will need a simple layer mask so you can adjust for the sky area separately from the ground/bluff area.

Also, ACR in CS6 is very powerful and does a much better job with containing highlights and exposing shadows. So perhaps try a sample run through with the raw file through ACR and just see what happens when you pull out shadow detail, while adjust the highlights to keep from blowing out?

Just a few thoughts for you.

Jim

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #10 · Islay Creek meets the ocean

Thanks Greg, I really appreciate the feedback. This is a good time of year for us out here to shoot because the marine layer is farther out. You said you enjoy the way it appears the ocean could empty on top of you……Here the ocean really can empty on top of you, one minute the waves are a hundred yards out and the next set is right on top of you. We lose a few fishermen and photographers every year due to their lack of knowledge or respect for the ocean. Right after I clicked the shutter on this shot I grabbed the tripod legs and planted my feet, it was all I could do to stay upright.

Thanks for all your suggestions Jim; I’m learning CS6 and your suggestions help a lot. You’re right about the grad, I’m wondering if a nd filter would help me. I will keep learning how to process these. I’ll be out shooting most of this week; because of the cold snap the marine layer is farther off shore……Morro Bay and most of the coast actually have a sunrise this time of year, and it is a great time for a drive up Hwy 1. Hopefully I can learn to process the shots to do the scenes justice.

Thanks again to both of you,
Bruce

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:14 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password