Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · D610 replacing the D600

seaum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D610 replacing the D600

Hi,

I just ordered a refurb assuming that I would be better off than purchasing a new one(already returned one with many spots). I am just wondering if anyone else bought a refurb and if so, did Nikon do a repair and eliminate the oil spot issue?

I know that users have seen these spots on their D7000s and more recently D800s, but I never had this problem with any of the DSLRs that I have owned: 1DmkI, 5Dc, D300, D700. I know, I know, I can clean the sensor, but I haven't needed to do this regularly since I sold my 1DmkI and that was just dust.

I appreciate any feedback from recent D600 refurb purchasers.

Edited on Apr 15, 2014 at 06:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:00 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D610 replacing the D600

seaum wrote:
Hi,

I just ordered a refurb assuming that I would be better off than purchasing a new one(already returned one with many spots). I am just wondering if anyone else bought a refurb and if so, did Nikon do a repair and eliminate the oil spot issue?

I know that users have seen these spots on their D7000s and more recently D800s, but I never had this problem with any of the DSLRs that I have owned: 1DmkI, 5Dc, D300, D700. I know, I know, I can clean the sensor, but I haven't needed to do this regularly since I sold my
...Show more

What makes you think that the issue won't be on a refurbished one. It is not like Nikon has a fix for it. Keep shooting and clean when necessary.

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:21 PM
cmarqz

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D610 replacing the D600

Hi seaum. Just curious if you received your refurbished D600 already and if it also has the dust/oil spots issue that your first D600 had.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D610 replacing the D600

cmarqz wrote:
Hi seaum. Just curious if you received your refurbished D600 already and if it also has the dust/oil spots issue that your first D600 had.

+1

If you've gotten the camera, I'd be interested in reading your experiences with it.

Kerry

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM
seaum
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D610 replacing the D600

Hi fellow FMers,

One of my coworkers and I both purchased new D600s from a large, reputable Nikon dealer. Both cameras had many spots. Each of us returned the D600s and then purchased refurbs from two different dealers and both had spots as well. Cameras both new and refurbished from 3 different dealers were defective.

When I called the sales dept to purchase my refurb, I explained what happened when I bought my previous new D600. He responded by asking if I purchased from a small shop that were selling cameras that had a long shelf life. I told him that I purchased from one of the largest Nikon dealers in the US. He put me on hold, called his customer service and reported back to me that they have not had any D600s with spots for at least a few weeks. He was obviously wrong. I knew it was a long shot but I hoped that Nikon would have made sure he refurb coming from Nikon service had a clean sensor.

I will now look into Canon and other alternatives. I regularly cleaned my sensor when I owned my Canon 1D mkI, so I a quite capable and comfortable doing so When absolutely necessary. Since sensor cleaning has been integrated into DSLRs, I have owned 3 that have had this feature, I absolutely refuse to wet clean on a regular basis when I am spending $2000 for a camera.

Good Luck!

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D610 replacing the D600

Nikon could see it just as a dirty sensor clean it and send out the refurb and everything could seem to be up to spec. You may not know anything until you use the camera for a few hundred to or more clicks. From my experience after you clean it first few times it seems fine until you add another 500 plus clicks.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:48 AM
seaum
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D610 replacing the D600

Understood, if "up tp spec" is a sensor covered with spots, I would hesitate in using Nikon service to clean a sensor. To be honest, I would rather shoot film than be required to clean a sensor every few hundred clicks. I am glad that there are many content D600 owners, I will not be one. Fortunately there are many fine cameras to choose from.

Happy Shooting!

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D610 replacing the D600

someone said if users cleaned the sensor by themselves, Nikon would void the warranty, true?

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:48 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D610 replacing the D600

that is false - I am sure that if you damaged the sensor while cleaning, it would - but that is with any product sold anywhere

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:57 PM
seaum
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D610 replacing the D600

Agreed, both Nikon and Canon will void the warranty if you touch the sensor when cleaning and damage it. Of course you must touch the sensor when doing a wet cleaning. I had no such problems with wet cleaning in the past.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D610 replacing the D600

IIRC the spots appear to go away after about 3000 clicks, according to a LensRentals report not too long ago. They said that, after such an initial break-in period, the D600 needed no more cleaning than other models. Check their blog for details (and in case I'm wrong).

As to your "I absolutely refuse to wet clean on a regular basis when I am spending $2000 for a camera", I will say bluntly that you're being ridiculous. Any modern DSLR camera -- I repeat, ANY modern DSLR camera -- will need wet cleaning on a regular basis. That is in addition to any built-in sensor-cleaning routine it may have. Some cameras may need it more often during its first few months of life, that's all. My D3s was like that.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D610 replacing the D600

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
IIRC the spots appear to go away after about 3000 clicks, according to a LensRentals report not too long ago. They said that, after such an initial break-in period, the D600 needed no more cleaning than other models. Check their blog for details (and in case I'm wrong).

As to your "I absolutely refuse to wet clean on a regular basis when I am spending $2000 for a camera", I will say bluntly that you're being ridiculous. Any modern DSLR camera -- I repeat, ANY modern DSLR camera -- will need wet cleaning on a regular basis. That is in
...Show more

one guy has 12k on his D600, and he claims the problem still exists.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D610 replacing the D600

And data is not the plural of anecdote, we all know that.

But the problem here is not whether the D600 will need more, or less, wet cleaning than other cameras throughout part or all of its lifetime. The problem is that the OP seems to believe that "real cameras" don't need wet cleaning at all and thus refuses to buy any camera that will need wet cleaning... which, I'll say again, is absurd.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:11 PM
seaum
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D610 replacing the D600

Hey Rodolfo,

I did not ask for any opinions on camera cleaning and I am certainly not at all interested in yours. If you are going to reply to my post, please answer my question instead of posting your own opinion. That is if you own and are currently using a D600. If not take a hike.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D610 replacing the D600

Well gee, sorry if you find the open environment of a discussion forum so unappealing. You post a discussion thread, people will discuss. Live with it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM
seaum
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D610 replacing the D600

I welcome an open discussion. What I dislike is an arrogant individual like yourself who takes the time to criticize me personally. Fortunately, this is this first time and hopefully last that I will experience this behavior on this forum. I hope the discussion ends here.

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:36 AM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D610 replacing the D600

seaum wrote:
Agreed, both Nikon and Canon will void the warranty if you touch the sensor when cleaning and damage it. Of course you must touch the sensor when doing a wet cleaning. I had no such problems with wet cleaning in the past.

Actually, you wet clean the low pass filter and don't touch the sensor.

If you scratch the low pass filter Nikon will only sell you the Sensor assembly (sensor + low pass filter).

You can purchase a low pass filter individually from live pixel(?) they install IR filters & have more experience than Nikon techs, for the job..

My 700 low pass cost installed $350+/- vs Nikon $1,200.

Rags

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:01 AM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D610 replacing the D600

seaum wrote:
I absolutely refuse to wet clean on a regular basis when I am spending $2000 for a camera.

Well from most reports you don't have to "wet clean on a regular basis" as the problem disappears with time so maybe 1-2 wet cleans initially and then business as usual.

Sure you are upset with Nikon and want to punish them by going elsewhere and I can understand your frustration, but honestly how long does it take to do a wet clean of a sensor - 5 minutes? (Yes I've done it dozens of times myself on my D70s & D300).

Anyway have fun in Canonland

Cheers
Leigh

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:22 AM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D610 replacing the D600

Lets get it straight here unless you own a D600 with this issue then you do not know...I have it and use it daily, before this I had MANY Dslr's from 1D series to D3x. The issue does not just go away, a wet clean is a temporary solution so far, I am beyond the so called magic 3000 click mark! These are not dust bunnies we are talking about but a real issue Nikon has shoved under the rug. So please spare me the swab stories.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM
seaum
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D610 replacing the D600

-- Rags, Good info!

-- theDruid, Appreciate the first hand feedback from someone who is using the D600

--Leigh,
My concern is the that the D600 might require cleaning regularly and often. A few D600 owners voiced concerns that they would need to clean the sensor in the middle of shooting an event.

I am not opposed to cleaning when necessary, I just don't want to clean as often as the D600 appears to require. Between my friend and I we have recently used 4 D600s. As theDruid mentioned, dust is one thing, but the oil spots are a different issue.

Since I currently have no lenses I am not just looking into Canon(I owned the D700 recently). The D600 is the camera I like best from the Nikon or Canon choices. I might just wait and see if in time the issue gets resolved by Nikon or maybe pick up a used D700. I am in no real hurry.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:55 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password