FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

DocsPics
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Sent my 35/1.4 to Sigma Service Center (New York) due to severe front focusing. They sent it back improved, but still not good enough. Sent it back a second time with my 800e attached (as they recommended initially) and it came back in four business days perfectly calibrated. (No charge either time). Thanks Sigma

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Thorsten
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

DocsPics wrote:
Sent my 35/1.4 to Sigma Service Center (New York) due to severe front focusing. They sent it back improved, but still not good enough. Sent it back a second time with my 800e attached (as they recommended initially) and it came back in four business days perfectly calibrated. (No charge either time). Thanks Sigma

I'm glad it worked out, as this is such a phenomenal lens. I love mine. As for Sigma, one would think they should be able to afford buying their own copy of the D800 and not rely on customers sending theirs in. Very odd.

Mar 02, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

DocsPics wrote:

Wow, that's very cool that it works now. I wonder why they couldn't get it right the first time and if they learned something with your d800 that will help them in the future. Good on ya for taking that risk, especially if it helps other Nikon shooters down the road.

I'd be scared to death of sending them my camera. AFAIK, my d800 focus is fine and I'd fear that they'd muck that up. Do you know if they did any adjustments to the camera? Secondly, I have other bodies that I would use with the lens. I'd not want to have it work perfect on the d800 and lousy on the d3s.

My d800 apparently can't tell the difference between the Sigma 30 f/1.4 and the Sigma 100-300 f/4 in the focus fine tune section. That's not very encouraging.

I recently obtained a new Nikon 28 f/1.8, which works very well on all of my bodies. I want one of these Sigmas, but I want one that works as well as the 28 f/1.8. I hope that isn't asking for too much.

thanks
Kerry

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:26 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Is there any similar problem with D600? I have not found any discussion about it with D600.

Edited on Mar 02, 2013 at 03:41 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:33 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

The d800 AF system is such that the X-types are clustered in the center only. The side AF points are single axis. So side banks are not as spot on as center. Hmm... reminds me of the 5d2.

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:38 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

KP

I first called Sigma and asked specifically if anything would be done to the camera. They said no, however, they were clear that the lens would then be spot on for my specific camera.

I now have a lens which requires zero micro adjustment but which might require some MA on another body. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure how else to interpret their "warning."

I assume any given lens is likely to require different MA on different camera bodies, but again I have nothing to prove that.

BTW, Sigma has their own 800e on which they calibrate lens which are sent in to them.

In any case, for now I'm a happy camper.

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Mrd800sig35mm

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I just spoke to Sigma Uk. They told me that they do the testing on a d90 and suggested I send in my d800 along with the lens so that I wouldn't have to do any additional micro adjusting. Turnaround time 2-3 weeks unfortunately...

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:02 AM
unravel
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Would really like to know if this problem is primarily for d800 users. Saw some sigmas pop up on amazon but the seller is one id rather not try to attempt returning items to. Have an event in a month, guess i can cross my fingers for B+H and adorama as well.

Mar 05, 2013 at 08:20 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

At first I thought this issue was only on my D800 and not on my D600. After further testing on my d600, it also backfocuses on the outer points. I didn't realize this at first because I didn't think it needed any microadjust. That brought the outer focus points within limits, but when I adjusted for the center, the outer points are now backfocusing, just like the D800.

I am using this lens on both cameras right now without any issues. Just have to stick with the center points and use live view if I want to nail focus outside the center point.

Mar 05, 2013 at 09:08 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I know it is not the idle solution but with D800, using center point only shouldn't be an issue for me. With 36mp there is a lot of room for cropping. When I get this lens I will be very happy if the center focus is spot on. I won't even bother calling Sigma.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Alan Ness
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

My Sigma 35mm just came back from Sigma NY for a focus point adjustment, but I can't check it yet as my D800e is in LA with Nikon for an adjustment so my center fcous point is useable. I had previously sent my D800e in for an adjustment of the outer focus points. Well, Nikon fixed those points so that they were now the highest rated by my FoCal Pro software--but at the expense of my center focus point (which I use all the time). My center focus point was much, much worse than when I sent it in. After sending Nikon dozens of shots over a two period, they agreed I needed to send the camera back in--at least they agreed to do this at their cost. I just have my fingers crossed that I can get an accurate center focus point back--I can live with the outer points being somewhat off. Since I was going to be without a camera for several weeks I sent the 35mm lens in to get it checked out, thought it wouldn't hurt, even though I thought my Nikon wasd causing most/all of the problem.

Alan

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:54 PM
screwdriver
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Alan Ness wrote:
My Sigma 35mm just came back from Sigma NY for a focus point adjustment, but I can't check it yet as my D800e is in LA with Nikon for an adjustment so my center fcous point is useable. I had previously sent my D800e in for an adjustment of the outer focus points. Well, Nikon fixed those points so that they were now the highest rated by my FoCal Pro software--but at the expense of my center focus point (which I use all the time). My center focus point was much, much worse than when I sent it in.
...Show more

this is why im afraid to send mine(d800) in . my center and right af points are excellent , the left side is just a tad not there but thats if i peep .

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

DocsPics wrote:
KP

I first called Sigma and asked specifically if anything would be done to the camera. They said no, however, they were clear that the lens would then be spot on for my specific camera.

I now have a lens which requires zero micro adjustment but which might require some MA on another body. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure how else to interpret their "warning."

I assume any given lens is likely to require different MA on different camera bodies, but again I have nothing to prove that.

BTW, Sigma has their own 800e on which they calibrate lens
...Show more

That's very cool and good info, Doc, thanks for the reply. It makes me feel much better about buying one of the next batch that is available. I'll just have to test the AF heavily and see what comes out. geez... Seems like that is all I've been doing with the d800 since I got it. But, before I send anything to Sigma, I'll see how it works on my other cameras and then decide how to best handle it.

I'd interpret their "warning" to be in agreement with your interpretation and what I think is normal. IME, each body is different, with each lens. So long as it's within the parameters, I'm happy.

thanks
Kerry

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Power2g

p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I am having the same focus issues only with my SB-800 on my D3S. In low light and without flash the lens focus spot on using all focus points, however, when I attach my SB 800 just about every shot is OOF, back focused, or front focused without any real reason why; it depends on the distance whether it front/back focus or if it is OOF. Not one of my lenses (all Nikons) I own needs any calibration and never do I have a focus issue. But the Sigma 35 1.4 and the SB800 on the D3S is a horrible combination. It's a lens issue.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Thorsten wrote:
I'm glad it worked out, as this is such a phenomenal lens. I love mine. As for Sigma, one would think they should be able to afford buying their own copy of the D800 and not rely on customers sending theirs in. Very odd.

The reason they need your camera is because they calibrate the lens to match your specific copy of the camera. All cameras and lenses are built with tolerance limits so your camera is not going to be exactly like their camera. By calibrating against your body, they can ensure that the lens works well with your particular body.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Found THIS rather interesting as it mirrors my experience with the 35 A. An early adopter, I was...I was.
Kindly note the body used

"With a lofty overall DxOMark score of 39 when measured on a Nikon D800, the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM is currently the highest scoring 35mm single focal length lens in our database."

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Sigma-35mm-f1.4-DG-HSM-Nikon-Mount-the-definitive-high-speed-35mm-wide-angle-lens-for-DSLRs

Just sayin'....

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Just wanted to say thanks to all that input good info on this lens. I just got one from Amazon. They had just gotten in a few copies in stock and they didn't last long. My preliminary tests, based on the info here, indicate that this copy is a good one, working well on my d800.

I am quite impressed by the workmanship of this lens. Quite a lot of thought for user ergonomics went into this lens, as well as what appears to be excellent fit and finish. I have a number of older Sigma lenses and this one is like it's from a different company.

I still have my normal battery of tests to do, to make sure it's working the way I want, on all of my bodies, but ATM, I'm very pleased with this lens.

thanks guys!
Kerry

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:36 PM
georgeninapho

p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I have purchased mine from Amazon. Heavily front focusing both on D3s and D600. Amazon kindly replaced the copy with another one which seems better, but still...not perfect.
Annoyingly...sometimes I get nearly spot on pictures...and indeed when I use the SB910 i get random back and front focusing.
None of my other Nikor lenses required any kind of AF fine tune whatsoever. (50 f1.8, 24-17 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8...)

Now....if Sigma UK would recommend me to send both my bodies so they can calibrate the lens...do you think they will mess about with the camera AF? I would rather return the lens than having two bodies working perfectly with one lens and not with the other ones...

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Power2g

p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

What I found out from Sigma is it is a known issue that the 35 1.4 with a Nikon flash using focus assist will cause the lens to be OOF, Backfocus, or Frontfocus. I was shocked and thought something went terribly wrong with the lens and would not have thought it was due to the focus assist on the SB-800.

I shoot with D3Ss and SB-800s and the issue is repeatable time after time but where the lens focus is not. Sometimes it will be OOF, or BF or FF, it is not consistent. I contacted Sigma and they said to send it in as it is a known issue (I read on another forum about similar issues and for one end user it came down to sending the body and lens in). I have only had the lens for a week so I am going to return it and wait for them to figure it out with the Nikon Flashes.

Here are my findings:

1. Using no flash - Spot on and tack sharp even at 1.4
2. Using in low light with ISO pumped up with no flash - Spot on and sharp even at 1.4
3. Using Nikon flash as fill light in bright daylight - Spot on and tack sharp even at 1.4
4. Using Nikon flash in low light with focus assist - Focus is all over the place and inconsistent and not once nailing a shot
5. Using Nikon flash in low light then turning off focus assist after using focus assist - Focus is all over the place and inconsistent and not once nailing a shot
6. Using Nikon flash with focus assist turned off before attaching to D3S - Focus consistent 80% of the time but images are softer than normal. CA seen for the first time but disappears by f/2.8

It wouldn't be big of an issue for me if I didn't shoot events in clubs and dark venues on a regular. I found this defect on assignment and was frustrated because of it and a lot of missed shots.

I hope this help some people out there. But I still believe the Sigma 35 1.4 is a tremendous lens with a minor flaw (that is being resolved by Sigma). Once it is fixed I will be adding it back to my arsenal of lenses. It really is that GREAT!

Thanks

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:28 PM
MicroMan

p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Sending in your own camera with your lens is not odd, It's logical. There are calibration differences between cameras.

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:18 AM
       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.