Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Troh wrote:
For what it's worth. I have a D800 and the Sigma 35 1.4 with a serial #50004XXX, it's sharp as a tack with the left, center and right focus points. I had the lens since early January ....no issues. Hopefully this gets resolved soon for you.

Sadly with two big variables - D800 and lens-in-question - we never know which is contributing to success, partial success, partial failure or failure.

My lens has a slightly later serial number than yours and on my D800 the outer focus points are not usable if the centre focus point is working out of the box or with AF tune values set. They become somewhat closer to usable for closer in work, probably usable for more typically distant work or stopped down a stop or two, if AF tune is set to -11 for my copy.

I've been using my Siggy 35 with and without AF tune values and have been happy with the performance when using the central AF sensor, but if a firmware fix/tweak does eventually arrive from Sigma I'll be happy to get it so that central and outboard AF sensors can be used at will. I'd be even happier if it can be self administered via their USB dock.

In the meantime for my needs I'm able to use the lens as-is.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:18 PM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Here are my results on the D800, comparing the center and rightmost AF points at AF tune values of 0, -10, and -15. Focus distance was 3'4", measured from subject to focal plane indicator on body. Lighting was tungsten (2350+5 in LR4). I took 5 shots at each AF tune value, to eliminate shot-to-shot variability, with focus racked between each shot. Tripod, MLUP/exposure delay, raw, all processed identically in LR4. Results indicate an AF tune delta of at least 15 between center and rightmost AF points.

D800 Results

EDIT: Ran the test on my D3s as well:

D3s Results

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:47 AM
phlegmon
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Previously, someone here had expressed concerns regarding the warranty on the Sigma 35 mm.

I saw eBay listings for this lens from international sellers, contacted Sigma regarding the warranty and this was their reply:

"No, your warranty will be void in the United States! The 35mm F1.4 has a 1year Sigma Japan warranty and in the United States it has a 4 year warranty. The supply of lenses for Nikon will open up very shortly."

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:31 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

And in Canada, if you buy a Siggy 35 from a legit dealer selling legit Canadian-imported Siggy 35s, you get a 10 year warranty. 10 years of warranty coverage built in to the selling price is what's worth some real coin -- I had no problem paying $949 for mine and would have paid MSRP ($999) rather than importing one for marginal savings ($899).

Going with in-country warranty coverage is even more important when a product is new, IMO.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:43 PM
phlegmon
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I can't wait to get my hands on a Nikon-version. Canon-mounts are being sold all over the place but limited stock of Nikon.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I had my first real world outing with my copy since adjusting the outer points (at the expense of the center point).

From what I can tell, I have a 100% hit rate, wide open, with moving subjects. This is the sharpest 1.4 lens I have ever owned, and I have owned several. I really hope they can get the focus point discrepancy worked out: if they do, this lens will be legendary. It's already a favorite of mine, deeply flawed though it is.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:05 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

snapsy wrote:
Here are my results on the D800, comparing the center and rightmost AF points at AF tune values of 0, -10, and -15. Focus distance was 3'4", measured from subject to focal plane indicator on body. Lighting was tungsten (2350+5 in LR4). I took 5 shots at each AF tune value, to eliminate shot-to-shot variability, with focus racked between each shot. Tripod, MLUP/exposure delay, raw, all processed identically in LR4. Results indicate an AF tune delta of at least 15 between center and rightmost AF points.

D800 Results

EDIT: Ran the test on my D3s as well:

D3s Results

Here are the results of a Canon copy of the Sigma on a 5D classic (no AF tune available on body):

5Dc Results

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

snapsy wrote:
Here are the results of a Canon copy of the Sigma on a 5D classic (no AF tune available on body):

5Dc Results

Snapsy-
Thanks for your diligent work. You've been much more thorough than I was in my testing, but my results were SO obvious and so repeatable, that I didnt feel that I needed thorough testing on my copy to know that it had problems. It looks like the 5D doesn't display any issues at all then. This is not that surprising- focus systems across platforms and cameras are implemented completely differently.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:18 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Erik Moore wrote:
Snapsy-
Thanks for your diligent work. You've been much more thorough than I was in my testing, but my results were SO obvious and so repeatable, that I didnt feel that I needed thorough testing on my copy to know that it had problems. It looks like the 5D doesn't display any issues at all then. This is not that surprising- focus systems across platforms and cameras are implemented completely differently.

I agree, mine is pretty obvious too, just wanted to post to have a record of it. I'm guessing the problem is in how Sigma had to reverse engineer the Nikon AF for this lens, perhaps to emulate the closest model available which would be the 35G f/1.4.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:26 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

What is the solution for the 35? Does it come with the AF dock?

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Erik Moore
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

popinvasion wrote:
What is the solution for the 35? Does it come with the AF dock?

There is currently no solution. The AF dock is sold separately and is not yet available. When it is, it most likely wont allow individual adjustment of different areas of the lens.

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:35 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

snapsy wrote:

5Dc Results

Here are the results on a D5100 (no AF tune available on body). A bit more shot-to-shot variation which is typical of the D5100 but the center vs right looks good.

D5100 Results

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:22 AM
Donzo98
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I would like to see the results on a D4... but Im too lazy to do it

Maybe someone else can...

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:47 PM
rodizzle33
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Okay I thought I was crazy but I have the same issue.

I haven't tried the out focus points but I get inconsistent results with my 35mm paired with my D800.

The lens works perfect on my d600 though! I hope they finda fix for this ASAP

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

As good as the d800 autofocus can be there are still times when it has a mind of its own. This has been especially true with fast f1.4 glass.

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:48 PM
rodizzle33
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I didn't have issues with other lenses

Here are other lenses I have:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon 85mm f/1.8G
Nikon 16-35mm f/4
Nikon 70-200mm F/2.8

I am +4 MA right now and it is a hit or miss every so often. I had way more hit rates when its on my d600 with +1 MA

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:05 PM
ash4390
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

D800 with a brand new 35 1.4 as well. I'm running -10 fine tune for my center point (what I use most) and my outer points are backfocusing slightly.

My D800 doesn't have the Left AF issue with my 24-70, 50 1.8, or 85 1.8. I guess I'll wait for a fix!

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:59 PM
LuisGonzalezLT

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I have the problem with my D800E. Pretty wacked out. Will run through every focus point again and record the results and talk to Sigma and send it in.

I did have to send my D800E to Nikon to get rid of the left side AF issue but it is now working perfectly with my Nikon 200/2 and pretty much perfectly with my Nikon 24-70/2.8.

It's definitely a problem with the Sigma lens.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:18 AM
Mrd800sig35mm

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Hi
Just joined to add my experience. I have a d800 and recently sold my Nikon 50mm g and 28mm f2.8 ais just so that I could have a single lens. I've had this lens for just over a month and have been really enjoying it, though using Liveview quite a lot as I wanted to have movie capability - beautiful results. Anyway I was doing a few test shots with it at home last night and noticed some of the issues mentioned above regarding focus points. I set up some test shots this evening using a tripod, iso400 and f2.2 so that the results were discernible to me. I haven't tried fine tuning for reasons that follow. Excuse the layman's measuring terms too. Anyway, I printed out 3 focus targets and set them up 3.5 to 6 metres away from the camera. Results were left and right outermost focus points focusing 1.5 - 2 ft behind. The centre focus point was about 1 ft in front, which is why it seems pointless doing AF fine tune.
I used to own a d700 and would centre focus and recompose. I've now come to appreciate using the other focus points so obviously this is something I'd like to have fixed. My serial is 50004XXX bought off Amazon uk end of Jan.
The glass is obviously fine as the focus points are sharp, just not in the right place. I'd guess it's miscommunication between lens and camera which I think is Sigma's responsibility.
I should also mention that I had a 28mm nikon f1.8 for a month which I returned to get the sigma. This lens worked wonderfully on the d800.

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:40 PM
zacheryjensen

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Well, I got a second copy of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lens.

The first copy I had showed massive focus accuracy problems on the side AF points, progressively worse as you moved away from the center with the center column being perfect.

I had tested my D800 for left AF point focus problems with a Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 lens. It appeared that I did not have the left AF problem. I would've been surprised as I had the problem with my first D800 last Summer and figured it surely was resolved in all new bodies by February when I bought my second D800 body.

Today I learned that I was wrong. This body DOES have the left AF focus problem. The Tokina 16-28 was just so bad on the sides that it was indiscernible even in careful test shots. By contrast, it was easy to detect the problem with a 14-24mm f/2.8 lens last year. However, becoming aware of the problem with the new copy of the Sigma led me to try my Nikkor 16-35mm f/4. Even though it's at f/4, the focus accuracy is consistently off, it's just not as damning at f/4.

Last Summer when I found the problem on my first D800 body, I did so with the Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 lens. You really need a wide and fast lens to clearly see this problem.

All that said, the new copy of the Sigma lens is definitely better. The previous copy was so ridiculously far out of focus it couldn't be corrected with AF fine tune. This lens can be, though it won't as that would cause problems with other AF points. It just means I'll be sending my D800 in for repairs, just like the last one.

So the lesson today is this: don't count on shitty Tokina lenses for testing AF performance and it's possible that BOTH the body and the lens are working incorrectly.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:56 AM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password