Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

ADCOLE
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Erik Moore wrote:
Will do. Your observation is pretty close to mine, but I would add that the problem is not isolated to the outermost points- it gets progressively worse as you move from center to outer, and the outermost left and right points are merely the worst.

Almost the same. The lens is sharp as hell in the center and starts to deteriorate with increased distances beyond 6 ft with my experience. I just got off the phone with Sigma and plan to send it in for possible adjustment etc.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Ya, it will be interesting to see if Sigma can fix this.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Danner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

This kind of makes me wonder how the next batch will perform, because sales has to be pressing manufacturing to crank them out fast while the 'getting' is good.

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:45 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Erik Moore wrote:
Perhaps most importantly, Sigma acknowledged that this is a common problem with this lens and that they have a fix for it.

This is perhaps the best part of this thread. Nikon rarely acknowledges problems..

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:19 PM
screwdriver
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

DontShoot wrote:
This is perhaps the best part of this thread. Nikon rarely acknowledges problems..

and they will tell u its impact damage ....

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Erik Moore wrote:
I just got off the phone with the Sigma tech. He was familiar with the problem and said that this problem is unique to the D800 and that they have a prescribed fix- they "tweak" the CPU on the lens to better work with the D800 AF protocols.

This doesnt exactly jive with my experience: my lens misbehaves on my D700 as well, but perhaps he meant it's unique to Nikon full frame cameras.

I'm wondering if later runs of the lens have the "fix" already incorporated, and that's why some people are not having problems.

Either way, hearing the tech
...Show more

Thanks to all for the info in this thread. I'm wanting one of these lenses, but don't want to fool around with sending it in immediately after purchase. I use the outer points a lot and it needs to work on a d700, d3s and d800.

Hopefully they'll be able to fix your lens, Erik. I'm looking forward to your report when they return the lens to you.

Food for thought. The AF modules on the d700 and d800 are the same, cam 3500. The d600 is different, cam 4800. That might be why the lens works okay on the d600 and not the d700/d800.

Kerry

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:24 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I have a Sigma 35 f1.4 arriving in two days from their most recent shipment that just came in stock which was received this week from Japan. I only have a D700 not the D800, but I will test the left, center and right points and let you know what I find with my copy. I can include a portion of the serial number as well if that will help anyone.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Just noticed if focusing manually and trying to acquire focus using the arrows in the viewfinder the suggested direction for focus lock is backwards. Anyone notice this? I just ignore direction and attain the green circle for focus if shooting manually.

Dan

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:26 AM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Well for the first time ever UPS dropped off a package a day ahead of schedule and my Sigma 35mm f1.4 arrived this afternoon about an hour before it got dark. I checked the left focus point in the house on a tripod and did not find any issues on my D700 compared to the same shot refocused with the center point, at 100% both images looked the same.

I would say the images are just as sharp wide open as my Nikon 85mm f1.4D and neither lens requires AF fine tune on my body. I also took a shot inside and then a few outside at f1.4 to show the bokeh, which I think is just fine for my needs. The one of the sign was back lighted and at f5.6 at +1 EV and I did not see any flare from the sun. My serial number starts with 50004XXX if that helps.

A few downsized shots for bokeh -
http://www.esp-sportsphotos.com/docs/sigma/

Jan 22, 2013 at 02:50 AM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

WestcoastHD wrote:
Well for the first time ever UPS dropped off a package a day ahead of schedule and my Sigma 35mm f1.4 arrived this afternoon about an hour before it got dark. I checked the left focus point in the house on a tripod and did not find any issues on my D700 compared to the same shot refocused with the center point, at 100% both images looked the same.

I would say the images are just as sharp wide open as my Nikon 85mm f1.4D and neither lens requires AF fine tune on my body. I also took a shot inside
...Show more

Thanks for your report. Hopefully Sigma has incorporated their "tweak" into their later runs of lenses, and only the earlier copies will have been afflicted.

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

michaelwatkins
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

WestcoastHD wrote:
My serial number starts with 50004XXX if that helps.

Mine is 50007XXX, bought from a Canadian retailer local to me here on the West Coast. I believe all Sigma lenses in Canada are distributed from Gentec in Ontario and that they received their shipment of Nikon mount lenses relatively recently.

When I first tested the lens I felt it needed AF tune +7, but after using the lens for a week and retesting at a variety of focus point distances, it looks as if I can shut off AF tune altogether. Central focus looks good. The central column of focus points look good. Far left and far right look a little off, but I need to check those points with another lens before coming to conclusions.

For now I've set AF tune to 0 for this lens or OFF.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:05 AM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Interesting, I had contacted Sigma about two weeks ago and was told that they were getting a shipment from Japan the following week. So I contacted the store that I had pre-ordered my lens through (B&H) and they did receive additional inventory. I assumed my lens came from that new batch, although it sounds like your serial number is higher. Maybe they sent a different batch to Canada. In any event I like the lens so far, but I won't get a chance to shoot much with it until this weekend.

I saw this thread on DPReview that may be worth reading for those that have a D800:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3370397

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

I just got my adjusted lens back from Sigma. There is no noticeable change in behavior. All focus points but the center one backfocus consistently, and the extreme outer points backfocus severely.

My standard AF setup is AF-C, 11 points, single or D9, Focus+release priority. I use 11 points instead of 51 to make moving the point around the frame faster. For sports, or tracking moving objects, I adjust this, but for people, which is what I shoot most, this is my standard.

Of the points that are enabled in 11 point mode, the ones in the 4 corners are the ones I use the most. These align fairly well with a rule of thirds composition, and more often than not, I am focusing on someone's face or eyes with one of these four points.

I may try and use AF fine tune on my D800 to align these points, and let the center point front focus after the adjustment, since I rarely use the center point when shooting people. I want this lens to work really badly. I'm pretty disappointed that Sigma's prescribed fix seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Thanks for the update, Erik. That's not what I wanted to see and think it's unfortunate that they couldn't get it to work for you as it should. You didn't indicate that you've talked with them about it. Do you think it's worth the effort to discuss it with them and perhaps send it back?

Although I use 51pt AF, I also make use of the outer points much more than the center points. I'm accustomed to the lower keeper rate that comes with that, but I don't think I'd want to have the outer points significantly different than the center.

I'm playing around with an old Sigma 30 f/1.4 DX and my initial tests aren't happy times either, even with the center point. In 1.2 mode, it has little vignetting, but I need to make sure I can dial it in better.

I'm considering trying the new Nikon 28 f/1.8. I'd rather have to stay at f/2 with good AF, than f/1.4 with wonky AF.

Regardless, hope you can get it working to your satisfaction.

Kerry

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Just called Sigma in New York to report that there was no change. When I mentioned that I'm shooting with a D800, he said "Oooooohhhhh, hold on one sec". He left and came back a minute later and said "Ya, sorry, we don't have a fix for that yet, Japan is working on it."

I did tell them on my initial call that I had a D800, but then I managed to leave it off the service request sheet when I sent it in, so they probably just calibrated it on another camera.

He told me that they do expect to have a fix for it, and to call back in a few weeks to see if the status has changed.

I guess I have to decide if I wanna sit on this thing and wait, or return it. If I can calibrate the corner points, I will probably just keep it and keep checking back with them.

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:01 PM
Troh

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

For what it's worth. I have a D800 and the Sigma 35 1.4 with a serial #50004XXX, it's sharp as a tack with the left, center and right focus points. I had the lens since early January ....no issues. Hopefully this gets resolved soon for you.

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Troh wrote:
For what it's worth. I have a D800 and the Sigma 35 1.4 with a serial #50004XXX, it's sharp as a tack with the left, center and right focus points. I had the lens since early January ....no issues. Hopefully this gets resolved soon for you.

Man, that's so weird. If Sigma is aware of it, it would seem it was a problem with all copies, but you are not the first to report here that it's working fine for them. Mine is of the same serial sequence as yours. I wish I could play with one of these good copies for myself. Not that I don't trust you, but seeing as how this is my second copy, and I've tried this one and the other one on multiple bodies, I just don't get it.

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

For what it's worth, dialing in -20 of AF fine tune that gets the focus points I use most really really close. Needless to say, the formerly sharp center point is now severely front focused, but that may not be a practical problem for me since I so rarely use that point at this focal length. I'll just have to remember that the center point is not really an option now with this lens.

That -20 gets it as close as it can get shows you how bad the problem is.

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:59 PM
JPopovich

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Just got mine in the mail today. Haven't taken enough shots to be exactly certain but so far, focus is spot on with no fine tune adjustment. Granted, I'm shooting with a D700 but all my worries are gone. Even the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 I owned required +3. Sorry to all of those who are having issues. It's a great lens when working properly.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Guari
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 AF problems

Erik Moore wrote:
For what it's worth, dialing in -20 of AF fine tune that gets the focus points I use most really really close. Needless to say, the formerly sharp center point is now severely front focused, but that may not be a practical problem for me since I so rarely use that point at this focal length. I'll just have to remember that the center point is not really an option now with this lens.

That -20 gets it as close as it can get shows you how bad the problem is.

Funny you mention that. Mine backfocuses terribly and had to dial -19 to get it to perfect focus, tack sharp. D800 also.

Ayhow, I sent it to sigma aboutna week ago andnthey acknowledged receipt and opened a warranty work case. Will see what happens.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password