Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom changes my white balance when exporting as JPEG

richuwo11

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lightroom changes my white balance when exporting as JPEG

Has anyone else had problems with Lightroom changing your white balance when converting to JPEG? I am using the latest version of Lightroom 4.1 I think?

When I selected to export as a TIFF instead, the white balance was preserved from what I had in the Develop module, but when I tried JPEG or DNG the white balance was much cooler than what I had set it to in the Develop module. I tried setting the export as "optimize for matte", "glossy", etc. no change.

Am I missing something?

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lightroom changes my white balance when exporting as JPEG

White balance should not change and I have not heard of any LR bugs that would cause that.

What is more likely is that you are seeing shifts due to different colorspaces being used or perhaps the way you are viewing the images (color-managed browser vs. non-color-managed browser).

For editing, LR uses a wide-gamut colorspace that is a variation of ProPhoto. When you export, you can specify whatever colorspace you want - sRGB being the most common and recommended for web viewing, AdobeRGB and ProPhoto being reserved usually for inkjet prints. These conversions can produce some changes in color, saturation, and tone although they should not normally appear as a change in white balance (just more saturation in certain colors or perhaps more faithful interpretation of certain hues).

If you are exporting with a non-srgb colorspace, however, and not embedding the colorspace inside the image or you are using a non-color-managed browser or application to view those files, there can be a definite shift in color and saturation that you might interpret as a different white balance.

Check which colorspace you are using on export, check to see if the color space is being embedded into the exported file, and let us know what browser or application you are using to view the files after export.

Posting some examples might be helpful, too.

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:14 PM
richuwo11

p.1 #3 · Lightroom changes my white balance when exporting as JPEG

Thanks for the reply. The thing that threw me was that the photo looked fine when I selected to export as a TIFF file. Otherwise I would have thought that the program was the cause like you had mentioned. I tried changing the color spaces and noticed no differences.

The program I was using to open the images after export was the default program in Windows 7, Microsoft Picture Manager I think? I guess I could also try re-importing them back into Lightroom to see what happens. Anyways, I'm going to try and print that photo today after work, so I'll see what it comes out like.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:36 PM
richuwo11

p.1 #4 · Lightroom changes my white balance when exporting as JPEG

So I printed my photo at a local store and the photo came out with the white balance I set in Lightroom. So everything is good. Weird how the JPEGS look different after export.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password