Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hawaii Sunrises

facedodge
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Hawaii Sunrises

It was easy getting up before sunrise being 5 hours ahead on my personal clock. These are all taken with either the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 or Canon 135L.

I have a few others that I am working on, but need to refine my HDR technique. These below are all single images processed in Lightroom.

I was on my honeymoon and am new to landscapes, so be nice.

1)

Waimanalo Bay Sunrise by Facedodge, on Flickr

2)

Hanamaulu Beach Park by Facedodge, on Flickr

3)

Nawiliwili Bay Lighthouse Sunrise by Facedodge, on Flickr

4)

Makapu'u Point Lighthouse by Facedodge, on Flickr

5)

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:27 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Hawaii Sunrises

Well, I would say your honeymoon was a success if you had the honeymoon and still got some really nice shots here. I like my Samyang 14mm, so it's nice to see someone else using it's sister lens.

I would say you really knocked each of these out of the park. Very nicely done. I don't see anything that really looks like HDR in any of these, so that means you did a good job. Probably the hardest shot you had here was #5 with that sun right in the shot like that, but the highlights around the sun don't look too bad. Perhaps a shot from this vantage point just as the sun dipped into the horizon to help block the power of it to a degree is another solution.

My favorites... probably #2 and 3, but like I said, they are all nice. And if you don't shoot landscape much, I am thinking you ought to reconsider that and start shooting more landscapes as these are sweet.

Jim

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:51 PM
facedodge
• •
p.1 #3 · Hawaii Sunrises

Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I really appreciate it.

#2 is my favorite, but I really like #1 too. There is a problem with number 3 that I found this morning. I used the gradient tool in Lightroom to darken the sky, but the horizon and the hillside to the left aren't exactly in line. If you look close you'll see that the bottom of the hill by the water is lighter and still has some detail. I gotta fix that when I get home.

None of the 5 above were HDR... single exposures. #'s 2, 4, & 5 were long exposures. I did my best to dip highlights and lift shadows without destroying the IQ and feel I was going for. Canon's 5D3 RAW files have plenty of Dynamic Range. I don't know what all the hubbub is about.

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:09 PM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #4 · Hawaii Sunrises

I love what you did with #2...the sky really grabs you!

I am not sure I would still be married...if I was in a place like that with my camera...it would get more attention than the wife!

Congratz!

Great Set!

~Mike~

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:57 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Hawaii Sunrises

You definitely got around the islands! You know...I've lived on Kauai 5.5 years and never been to Hanamaulu beach...now I have to. Nice freakin rendition. Stick with the landsacpes, you're on to something good here. That tree at Waimanalo is on the south end of the beach ya? I'm always at the campground area when over there.

Nice work sir

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:59 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Hawaii Sunrises

Really nice work, the colors are just amazing! My favorite is #2, although I must admit it was distracting at first because I thought it was two separate photos because of the frame-centered horizon...

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM
danny d
• • •
p.1 #7 · Hawaii Sunrises

Love them all! #4 is my favorite. Nice colors and love the silhouette

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:07 AM
facedodge
• •
p.1 #8 · Hawaii Sunrises

aFeinberg wrote:
You definitely got around the islands! You know...I've lived on Kauai 5.5 years and never been to Hanamaulu beach...now I have to. Nice freakin rendition. Stick with the landsacpes, you're on to something good here. That tree at Waimanalo is on the south end of the beach ya? I'm always at the campground area when over there.

Nice work sir

Tell you the truth, you may want to pass on Hanamaulu. It happened to be near by the resort and I thought it would be situated nicely for a winter sunrise. The morning was very overcast but it opened up just a bit with the sun. I grabbed the driftwood because i thought it would make a nice foreground subject for a dreary sky. There were a lot of guys sleeping in their car there and there was a bit of trash on the beach. Thought id warn you before you plan a picnic worth checking out if youre near the airport though. The planes fly right overhead.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:04 AM
facedodge
• •
p.1 #9 · Hawaii Sunrises

Thank you very much for the support everyone. I really respect the talented people on this website and its especially meaningful to receive compliments here. I plan on adding a couple to the set.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Hawaii Sunrises

Thanks face...I actually have 3 galleries on island...so am familiar with the spot...just havent been down there

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:20 AM
facedodge
• •
p.1 #11 · Hawaii Sunrises

Oh wow! My wife and i stopped in your Princeville Gallery. I was blown away. I love Old Orchard and Kaboom. I'm sure those two get a lot of attention. I remember seeing the bamboo one too... So sharp! Just spent 20 minutes on your website.

I really want to try a metal print. Any advice on processing for a metal print?

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:45 AM
facedodge
• •
p.1 #12 · Hawaii Sunrises

We had a long day on New Years Eve, so we watched the fireworks from our Condo in Honolulu. I have a couple of these but I like the composition with the window ledge best.

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8

Honolulu, New Years 2013 by Facedodge, on Flickr

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:50 AM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Hawaii Sunrises

Ah! Old Orchard is in Poipu right now but yea...it looks great on the metal. And I dont process any differently for any medium Glad you got a chance to stop in...much different than on the internets. Saw the firework photo on the flickr...Love it. The colors across the city are super

aF

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:04 AM
facedodge
• •
p.1 #14 · Hawaii Sunrises

Ahh it must have been Poipu where we stopped in. Hard to keep track. I remember you had it in a backroom on a large metal print. My wife really liked your macro work, particurlarly a red flower you had displayed as diamoned shaped.

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:44 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Hawaii Sunrises

Lovely set, can't decide which I like the most... I guess, I will vote for No. 2.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Hawaii Sunrises

Very nice!!

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:57 PM
facedodge
• •
p.1 #17 · Hawaii Sunrises

Finally finished my HDR shot that I mentioned in the original post.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:09 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password