Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

mikeinctown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

need to know how normal this is as this is my first FF and professional type camera. My crop camera was much different:

Have a 5Dii and it seems that my photos are coming out very dark. If I use the metering bar in the viewfinder I have to really slow down the shutter speed, open up the aperature, and sometimes increase the ISO. In fact it seems unless I'm outdoors i have to use ISO 400-1600 just to get a usable photo no matter the light source.

Yesterday I took a photo outside where the metering bar said perfect, yet when I saw it on the screen after and then on my computer, I had to adjust the brightness. Seems the only way that I get the correct exposure is by over exposing the image. It just seems really strange that even at f2.8 and 1/60 I still have to bump the ISO up to take a photo in a well lit office, and even then the photo needs to be lightened up in DPP.

All that said, it does capture so much more detail and color than my old T3i did. i'm just worried that the images are always so dark that they need to be lightened, and I can't shoot everything at 1/30 and f2.8.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:21 PM
river rover
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

What metering mode are you using? Could it be accidentally set to spot?

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:25 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

It is set to evaluative metering. I'm using manual mode. I'll have to shoot some pics in auto and see how they come out and see what settings the camer uses.

this might be the right time to join CPS.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:35 PM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

using 400-1600 ISO to get a decent shutter speed indoors doesn't seem out of line.

how under exposed are we talking here? are they a bit dark, or are they like 2 stops under exposed? what are your histograms looking like when you photograph a normal scene?

i regularly have to use +1/3 to +1 EV on my 5d3

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

Post some examples with EXIF information still in the image file so that we can see things like shutterspeed, aperture, ISO, lens, shooting mode, metering mode, etc. That means: resize and just Save or Save As. Do not Save For The Web, unless you explicitly checkmark a box that says Keep EXIF Info.

mikeinctown wrote:
Yesterday I took a photo outside where the metering bar said perfect, yet when I saw it on the screen after and then on my computer, I had to adjust the brightness.

Post some examples, with the EXIF intact. Your monitor might be too dark, possibly.

mikeinctown wrote:
Seems the only way that I get the correct exposure is by over exposing the image. It just seems really strange that even at f2.8 and 1/60 I still have to bump the ISO up to take a photo in a well lit office, and even then the photo needs to be lightened up in DPP.

f/2.8 1/60 at ISO 400 or 800 is common in offices.

Post some examples with EXIF intact.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:15 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

When you say it looks dark, is this based on the way the image looks or is it based on the histogram display If the former, there are some variables that you would need to rule out. If the latter, you can rely on this a bit more.

To ask about the obvious thing, you haven't accidentally dialed in some exposure compensation somewhere, have you? (We've all done that...)

Dan

mikeinctown wrote:
need to know how normal this is as this is my first FF and professional type camera. My crop camera was much different:

Have a 5Dii and it seems that my photos are coming out very dark. If I use the metering bar in the viewfinder I have to really slow down the shutter speed, open up the aperature, and sometimes increase the ISO. In fact it seems unless I'm outdoors i have to use ISO 400-1600 just to get a usable photo no matter the light source.

Yesterday I took a photo outside where the metering bar said perfect, yet when
...Show more

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

Why not set the camera to Av (Aperture Value) and the ISO of your choice and see what it chooses for exposure.

And as other have said -- post images with all the technical info.

Are you having problems in well lit outdoor situations using the Sunny 16 Rule? If so, your camera will need to go in for repair, as it's not a metering problem.

Dan -- You can't use exposure compensation in Manual mode.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

I've owned a lot of Canon cameras and they all tend to be on the conservatively "underexposed" side when the meter bar is right at 0. In general, I usually have the meter bar right at +1 (or +1 1/3) to get a decent exposure (or at least an exposure that I prefer).

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:33 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

I would say for the most part a bit dark. On some that I took whites just look grey and I have to go to like .6x in DPP to make the stuff white and bright enough. With my T3i if I had to change the brightness in DPP, I was going maybe one click over, two at most. To be honest I haven't photographed a "normal" anything yet. So far I've just been grabbing the camera and taking test shots. I just took several photos from my desk and aside from needing a fairly slow shutter speed, when the camera had me at proper exposure, the photo looked like it does visually in person.

Perhaps I have no clue what I'm talking about. I'll let someone look at the camera and tell me if it is normal or not. I realize this model is several years older than my last camera and is FF instead of crop. I just figured Canon cameras would have similar characteristics. Guess I'll have to re-learn all my settings. I had gotten used to just knowing what to set the camera at just by judging the amount of light I had.

On my crop if I went to 1600 ISO there was a ton of grain in the pic. On this one it is barely noticable. I guess I need to be less hesitant about going higher with the ISO to get a good shutter speed. Talk about a learning curve.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

Also check that the custom function for the user replaceable focus screen and the focus screen match.

If one was changed without the other the metering can be way off . And the amount of difference is not linear . That's to say if your 2 stops out in a particular EV you could be 1 stop out @ another EV

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

Sorry, while I was typing all that you all replied. I'll try to take some shots at lunch and post them later. I'll not change anything other than upload them to flickr and change from RAW to JPEG in DPP. It is overcast here today but with some sun and much of the snow is melting so I should be able to get some decent test shots of greens and other color without all the snow being a problem.

I really appreciate the help in trying to figure out if what I am experiencing is normal.

Monito, if what you say about offices is not uncommon then perhaps I am just worried about nothing. get out and shoot. lol

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

Quit jerking us around. Post examples. Duh.

mikeinctown wrote:
I would say for the most part a bit dark. On some that I took whites just look grey and I have to go to like .6x in DPP to make the stuff white and bright enough. With my T3i if I had to change the brightness in DPP, I was going maybe one click over, two at most. To be honest I haven't photographed a "normal" anything yet. So far I've just been grabbing the camera and taking test shots. I just took several photos from my desk and aside from needing a fairly slow shutter speed, when the
...Show more

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

mikeinctown wrote:
Monito, if what you say about offices is not uncommon then perhaps I am just worried about nothing. get out and shoot. lol

Nobody has a clue what you are talking about (least of all, you) until you post examples. With EXIF intact.

Multiple people have requested examples from you? What part of "Post examples" do you not understand?

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:03 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

Monito wrote:
Nobody has a clue what you are talking about (least of all, you) until you post examples. With EXIF intact.

Multiple people have requested examples from you? What part of "Post examples" do you not understand?

Those who asked for examples have done so in the last few minutes and I've said I'll post some when I'm able.

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

mikeinctown wrote:
I would say for the most part a bit dark. On some that I took whites just look grey and I have to go to like .6x in DPP to make the stuff white and bright enough.

Not unusual. Post examples.

mikeinctown wrote:
the photo looked like it does visually in person.

Camera LCDs are uncalibrated. You can't go by what it looks on them.

Is your computer monitor calibrated? Profiled? Do you know what those mean and why they are important and why they are different?

Post examples, with EXIF intact.

mikeinctown wrote:
Perhaps I have no clue what I'm talking about.

How many clues do you need and people telling you to post examples for you to get it?

mikeinctown wrote:
I'll let someone look at the camera

The camera is almost certainly just fine. Operator error is more common.

Post examples, please.

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

Binh Ly wrote:
I've owned a lot of Canon cameras and they all tend to be on the conservatively "underexposed" side when the meter bar is right at 0. In general, I usually have the meter bar right at +1 (or +1 1/3) to get a decent exposure (or at least an exposure that I prefer).

Oddly, after shooting EOS for 20 some years, my experience is almost the opposite: I need to use minus EC and, especially, minus FEC for flash. Of course the amount depends on what you shoot. If you mainly shoot white dresses or white sand beaches, that +1.0 or more EC is the normal. For city night scenes, I'm almost always at -1.0 to -2.0! Sunsets -2.0. Those rare scenes of an even mix of mids, lows and highs the camera nails most of the time. I ride EC so often I can set EC for most subjects before metering.

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:22 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

@ Monito - Talking about persistence or maybe insistence is a better word ?

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:32 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

Binh Ly wrote:

I have to agree with Binh here. I have found that I tend to always overexpose my images in my 5DII. Very rarely is my EV at 0. What you are experiencing sounds like it's normal. I would try setting your EV between +1/3 and +1 and review your histogram as needed.

-Nick

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

Putting the camera into auto mode and taking a few pics is definitely a good idea to see how the camera "see's" things. Resetting the camera to factory defaults and reading the manual probably isn't a bad idea either.

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:31 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5Dii question- pictures coming out very dark

OK, so went out at lunch and took a few pics outside. It was overcast but the camera seemed to pick up all detail and act "normal" or at least the type of settings I would get with my crop. The colors are all accurate and the brightness of the photo approximates real world as my eyes saw it. All photos were taken with the camera telling me the correct exposure levels.

CameraTest007 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

CameraTest006 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

Now, that was outside. I had only snapped a few pics outside before today, mainly because it was either raining, or 25*. The last pic was taken inside, when the camera told me I had appropriate exposure. There are 4 lights on top of the shelves and another bright kitchen light less than 10' from these books. (directly across) It seems that only indoor photos seem to be different. The off white color of the books is how most every indoor photo I have taken looks. (off white and somewhat yellow and darker than what the room is like)

CameraTest005 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password