Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

Lee Saxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

I just purchased Leica 28/2.8 on eBay.

It has the built in hood and the box lists catalogue # 11,259. From some sources it seems that this is the same as the latest #11,333 except 3-cam instead of ROM.

However http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/R_Lenses_x_Focal_Length lists this serial number (3624807) with "Version I," listing only #11,333 lenses as "Version II."

Can anyone clear this up?

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:36 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

If it has the built-in square hood it should be the new version. Serial number lists aren't always accurate. ROM doesn't change a version number, btw. Post a photo of the lens?

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:25 AM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #3 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

The lens you've purchased is the latest E55 28/2.8, it's just the 3 cam instead of ROM. Being 3 cam or ROM is largely irrelevant, and totally irrelevant if you are not using a Leica camera (not sure if Leitax issues exist with one or the other).

I have the same lens.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

Ah, I missed the eBay link the first time. Yes, definitely the second, better version.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #5 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

Thanks for the info guys!

Leitax page mentions that a customer with an early (3624xxx) 11,259 had mirror clearance problems on a FF Nikon but that later (366xxxx) 11,259's and 11,333's had no issue. I might be returning

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

I've also found 2 different versions of the 28/2.8 Elmarit E55, with different rear element shroud sizes.

The thinner rear shroud cleared the 5D at infinity whereas the thicker shroud did not.

Both were E55 ROM versions with the square hood.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #7 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

Uh oh. The Leitax page says all 11,333's (ROM verion) are fine. That is troubling.

Do you remember the serial number of the "bad" one? Was it an early?

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

Just checked and they wern't both ROM, but both were V2 with the square hood.

3624929 - E55 3 Cam, thicker rear shround that didn't clear the 5D at infinity

3700738 - E55 ROM, thinner rear shroud that did clear the mirror.

Hope this helps.

IMO the Elmarit-R E55 is very good especially wide open in the center, but the Zeiss ZF 25/2.8 is pretty much as sharp wide open and maybe sharper into the corners at f4 onwards.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Almass
• •
p.1 #9 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

The Leica R Elmarit 28/2.8 is available in 4 versions.

I had looked at the difference between the VI and the VII some time ago, and it appears that some late VI production did come with the built in hood but not being a VII version.

This was a bit of a surprise and quite confusing for people who are out to purchase a VII.

The lens purchased by the OP seems to be from the same late production run. i.e. a VI with a VII built in hood.

If my memory serves me right, all VII are ROM but I might be wrong.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:35 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

Hmm, there is a contradiction in your post. VI means 6 and VII means 7, yet you say that there are only 4 versions.

To my knowledge there are only two optical designs. I don't know what all the 4 or 7 versions are meant to be, but the first step towards understanding this would be to see a list of all versions. Is there such a list somewhere?

ROM was generally an option, so that seems unlikely, unless they had switched to all-ROM at that point.

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #11 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

I tink they mean version I (VI) and version ii (VII)

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:48 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

I see. I am not sure I believe that though. The new lens has a completely new body, with different elements inside, and a floating group, and the body and optical design are designed together, so you can't just shove one lens into another one's body. Almass, could you post a link where you read that? There must be some other explanation and I would like to follow up on it.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:07 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

Looking at the eBay photos again, I am almost certain that this must be the new formula. Look how flat the front element is. The front element of the older lens is more curved, AFAIK. I can find a drawing of the new lens but not the old one, yet. Does anyone have it?

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:15 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

Here are photos of both where you can get an idea how flat the front element is:

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:19 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

The new version also looks as if it is physically shorter, so the old formula wouldn't fit in the body. Does anyone here have the Puts pocket guide to Leica lenses? There should be some more specs in it. I am not at home, so I can't look it up right now.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:20 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #16 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

This might be of some help:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/28mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R_II

Rich

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:24 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

I would like to find the street on which a vII can be had for $430.

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:00 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

Awesome lens!

Well, the R28/E55 certainly runs a lot cheaper over here, though they are hard to find.
I paid $1100-1200 for mine - in box and pristine shape. Another one surfaced two/three months ago at around the same price, no box though.

I too would want to know which street the hustlers hand them out at $430. I'd hover there like a vulture for sure. They must refer to the older model.

When I Leitaxed my 28/E55 lens to Sony mount the rear shroud was removed. I don't recall if it was the thin or the thick one as I don't know which is which, I've only see the one. Actually, I have had two copies but didn't pay attention to the shroud. The shroud is in a zip loc bag now. (Like a lens body bag )

My copy has now left me for a friend but she gets to sleep over at times. She only lives ten minutes away.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:17 PM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #19 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

I have a 370XXX serial number, with ROM, and the ebay one listed here appears virtually identical except the lettering near the front element is bolder and slightly bigger than mine.

BTW, the shroud unscrews relatively easily, and I don't think it's necessary (maybe slightly protective, but I don't think the rear element can be hit by the mirror even with the shroud gone, as the rear element is still slightly recessed without the shroud). So if the shroud is hitting, try unscrewing it. Ask around, as I am not a expert on the matter though.

I think the main thing is to verify if it's version one or two simply to establish resale value. If you can establish it, it's probably worth $2K, even without the ROM chip. Of course, you do want to have the floating elements and higher image quality as well of course.

On the shroud subject again, it's possible take it off, sand it down ever so slightly if the clearance is like a mm to narrow. Sanding it too much will pierce the shroud's thickness of course. But I'd try it without the shroud personally.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:25 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-R versions

The shroud is there because it is Leica's philosophy that you should be able to stand a lens on a table, right-side up or upside-down, without damaging the glass. If you take it off, and stand it on a table, it may well stand directly on the glass. I wouldn't recommend that.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password