Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Someone slap me....

vivisha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Someone slap me....

snapsy wrote:
hmm, the D3s satisfies everything you want from the 1DX, and you already have the D3s

I have a 1DX and a D3s. If I could mount my 85L f1.2, 135L f2.0 or 17 TS on my D3s, I would probably sell the 1DX

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:38 AM
KibblesNbitz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Someone slap me....

Thanks everyone! There's a lot to reply to, hopefully I don't miss anything...

-The 70-200 is a great lens and all, I have the latest version for Nikon, I just don't think I'd miss it too much. Now granted the Canon version would be much better for me, as my biggest issue with the Nikon version is the focus breathing/reproduction ratio....it drives me crazy. I realize the Canon version is much better with that, but I don't think I'd miss it if I had the 85L II and 135L. I tend to do a lot of portrait stuff too, so I love the fact that Canon has more variety in portrait lenses. I realize the 70-200 is a "staple" wedding photography lens, but I'm not a staple photographer

-If I'm getting an 85mm, its going to be the 85L II. At first I hated the 1.2L II, but I've really grown to love the style it gives, and I'm not sure I could not include it in my plans. I absolutely love the 85mm focal length and I'm sure it would be my second most used lens behind the S35. I do love the sigma 85's rendering and bokeh, but in my eyes it can't be trusted. The difference between it and the Sigma 35 is that the S35 is part of Sigma's newly revamped product line with a new focus on quality and reliability, which is seems to be fulfilling so far. Many wedding pro's that I associate with have tried the Sigma 85 and found it to be unreliable with focusing after a while, so it's something I'd rather avoid if possible.

-I do agree the "silent" mode on the 5D III is really, really nice, and definitely something that would be useful in a few situations. I've listened to the comparisons, and the 1DX really is a loud camera.

-One big thing tipping me in favor of the 5D III is that I'd like to get into video, not for weddings, but more for say promo videos for small companies, and even just for fun. I could definitely see keeping myself busy on the side doing promo videos for local restaurants, businesses, etc. Of course I'd pick up a glidecam and some good mic's etc., but from what I hear the 1DX doesn't have a headphone jack which is a huge issue. Plus, having two 5D III's would then be necessary, not an option.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:36 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Someone slap me....

KibblesNbitz wrote:
The difference between it and the Sigma 35 is that the S35 is part of Sigma's newly revamped product line with a new focus on quality and reliability, which is seems to be fulfilling so far. Many wedding pro's that I associate with have tried the Sigma 85 and found it to be unreliable with focusing after a while, so it's something I'd rather avoid if possible.

It's a real shame that they didn't make the 85 part of their new lineup. I have an 85 1.8 in my bag which, if I'm honest, I really don't love. It's OK, but not exceptional compared to my other primes.

What I really need is an 85 1.4 which is fast and reliable and I don't see Canon producing that lens anytime soon

Pleased to see Sigma trying to sort out the problems they've been stuck with for so long, but it will take people a long time to forget the past. Even with the good reports from the Sigma 35 I still am waiting to see how it really works long term.. especially with focussing and reliability (although I have the 35L and won't be getting rid of that)

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:08 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Someone slap me....

New Canon 35 mm might have more accurate focusing than the Sigma? Most new Canon lenses are more accurate & more repeatable. Also the new 24 mm & 28 mm. Partly designed for video and have IS.

Canon 40 mm is a nice $150 lens, also has STM for video on the Canon T4i ($600 body for video, but also get the 18-135 STM for video)

Canon 100 mm L is a nice lens, more modern than the 85 1.2, although not a direct replacement.

Canon 24-70 II is a great all around, kick ass lens to have in the bag. Expensive, but can do anything.

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:33 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Someone slap me....

Do it!.

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Someone slap me....

The 85L is excellent on my 1DX. But the AF is rather slow like it's on all other bodies. But it nails the AF even on f/1,2

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidP
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Someone slap me....

For your purposes, I'd rather have a pair of 5D3s than a single 1Dx. Heck, even more than a pair of 1Dx's, I think.

The 5D3 really is THAT quiet.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:04 AM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Someone slap me....

The switch has begun! I went to a local camera store today to hold the 5D III just to make sure I really liked it and was comfortable with it.......then I went home and immediately put all my Nikon stuff up on the Buy and Sell board here

I agree, the 5DIII really makes the most sense for me in Canonland. The quiet shutter alone is worth it!

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:40 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Someone slap me....

Rescued from the dark side. See if you can do the same for TrenchMonkey.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:25 PM
ardvorak
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Someone slap me....

Great decision! You will be happy with the 5D IIIs, and here's to a speedy sale of your Nikon gear!

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:39 PM
samwise
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Someone slap me....

I think you made the right decision... I am using 2 5D2's which I don't like as much as the 5D1's so I was going to upgrade this year... I am going to keep the 2's for financial reasons but would go for the 3's over the 1Dx for weddings. I never felt I needed higher than 3 FPS for weddings or engagement shoots... the 85L is my go to lens, good luck!

edit: if you are a primes guy, I would encourage you to try a 2 camera body set up... I roll with a 35 and 85 pretty much all day. I will throw on a wide angle or 135mm seldomly but having both on you is key, PM me if you want more details on how I set that up, it is honestly a gamechanger for catching moments.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password