New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

mikelafemina

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

OK all of you Nikon gear heads, Canon guy here and ready to rumble. Just kidding! Actually I think that all major name brand cameras are pretty good. It is just that my first camera in 1975 was a Nikkormat FT2 and after that everthing has been Canon. I currently shoot with a 50D and 7D and am very happy with them. I am thinking about getting into full frame though to try something different. Not interested in the 6D. Would get any of the 5 series. Can get a basic 5D body pretty cheap but would really like a mkII or III. I only have a couple of EF lenses so that would be an expense also to get the appropriate lens. Then, all of a sudden, I see this great deal at Costco for the D600 with 2 lenses that cover pretty much everything that I would shoot. The camera and lenses are less than a mkII or a mkIII body alone. I have it on order but before I get it and open it I would like any unbiased (like Nikon is just another name of a Greek God) opinions as to your impressions or feelings. Thanks in advance. I also know about the oil problem on the sensor and I am prepared to deal with that as a separate issue.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

Hi Mike,

I shoot with the Nikon D800 and love it. But I recently just got one of the kits with the D600 to use as a back up, and also to have some backup lenses for my outfit. I took it all to the beach to shoot yesterday, and I will have to say that I really liked it. For me, if it says anything, the D600 will make for a very useable backup to my D800.

I would say to just open the box and enjoy what you got, as that is one very good deal. I believe as long as you don't shoot over 100 shot that you can return the camera if you don't like it, so go ahead, open it, and see how it feels. I think you will like it. There will be a lot of ergonimics that will be different for you, but I think you will like the output you get from it.

Jim

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:26 AM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

I have owned 3 out of the 4 listed (did not own the 5D orginal).

Their all good what can I say

The best is relative I guess of what your shooting.

5d mark III is 3k
5d mark II is 1400-1500 used
D600 is 2k new

If I only had a budget of 1400 I would buy the mark II if my budget was 2k I would get the D600 and if my budget was 3k I would get the 5d mark III lol.

Seriously their all great. I wouldn't get the costco deal due to the slower lenses.

I sold my 5d mark II for a III then sold it for the D600. The Mark III AF is awesome and great camera, just hard for me to justify 3500 ish (i got it a while back) when I could get a D600 for almost half of that. If you do this for a living no doubt get the 5d mark iii. The AF is insane and great for sports.

If your just a hobby guy, I would get the one of the other choices and some fast glass.

What are you looking into moving into FF? I think some people think its a majical land and it does have it good things, but if you do sports a 7D might be better cause of the FPS. Also be aware the 7D is better than the 5d mark II in the AF dep, but the mark II is better low light, by a stop (YMMV).

What lenses do you have? What is your current system NOT doing that you need/want/desire for it do ? Or do you just have money burning a hole in your pocket (as we all due in these Great times!)

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:29 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

I would get a D800, 4fps is faster than I need.
Be sure to get "Hands On" before you buy.
I have had a 5D2. The 5D3 seems to be an uncrippled version of the same thing.
For my use the D600 beats the Canons but does not fit my hands.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

As a former Canon user I can offer a little perspective, I shot with the 5D for 5+ years and I also have some familiarity with the 5D2. When it was time for me to upgrade the 5D 2 wasn't going to cut it. The image quality is fine, but I just couldn't see moving to a camera with the same AF system -- which was only adequate at best. So that left me with a choice to pony up for the 5D 3 or give Nikon a chance. Having seen the amazing DR of the new Nikon sensors in the D800 and then the D600, I guessed that the up coming (at the time) 6D would not be as good -- which was just a guess. Plus, I wasn't enthused about the AF system in that camera either. So, I decided to pick up a D600 and a couple primes -- and its been as good as I'd hoped. I didn't feel that the price of the 5D 3 was fair, and it would have cost me about $2400 to upgrade to that camera (after selling the 5D). After selling all of my Canon gear I have spent about $500 to change systems and I still have another lens to get -- but I am still ahead as far as cost. The performance of the D600 has exceeded my expectations, the AF system is much, much better than the 5D and 5D2. The performance of the sensor is eye opening, especially for someone who shoots landscapes like me. Being able to recover so much detail has made me start to think that I might be able to finally ditch my split grads. I think the choice you have is really between the 5D3 and D600 -- I think the D800 is on a different level because of its resolution. So between those 2 the 5D3 might have an edge in AF performance, but I think the D600 is better or at least even in the features I wanted. People can quibble about the max shutter speed, lack of PC socket, etc but those didn't apply for what I shoot. I also find the build quality to be just as good as my 5D if not slightly better, despite the use of more plastic. I also appreciate the smaller, lighter size because I backpack with my DSLR. By the way, I'm 6'6" so I have decent sized hands and really no camera has fit them and I have never been put off by that -- it never has kept me from shooting

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

PeaktoPeek wrote:
By the way, I'm 6'6" so I have decent sized hands and really no camera has fit them and I have never been put off by that -- it never has kept me from shooting

The tight groove in the D600 does not keep me from shooting either.
The fit of the D800 is so much more comfortable that I can shoot hand held for hours longer without getting tired.
This is much more important to me than most because we sometimes shoot at Events for up to 10 hours in a day.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:22 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

I shoot mostly on a tripod, but if I was shooting handheld for hours I would probably be miserable with most cameras. The one time I shot for 10 hours with my 5D I was feeling it, that's for sure.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

The deal is not great unless you had the one for 2400 with all that stuff.

I have a D600 and love it. In fact, it is fast becoming my most used body. I also shot Canon for 5 or so, years. 10d - 1ds, thru 5d2 and 1ds2. I like the Canon files from earlier cameras at lower iso's < 400, but since Nikon became serious about getting their market share back, I have been back with Nikon.

The dust issue with the D600 has not been much of an issue IMO. Lot of complaining, but a single cleaning resulted in pretty dust free images for about 1000 shots or so. If you like the DR and files it gives, its a no brainer at the price you can get one now. $1,600 new in the b&s forum.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:45 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

I briefly tried the D600 (current 5DII shooter) and found I really didn't like the way it felt in my hands compared to the Canon. The 5DII has a lot more metal to it, so it inspired my confidence in the field a bit more. The 5DII feels like it met the price point where the D600 really didn't feel like a $2k body to me.

I really disliked the live view implementation as well on the D600. I often use exposure sim. on the 5DII in conjunction with GND filters for landscapes (most of my photography). The 5DII is miles better in this regard. However, since the D600 has two more stops of DR, there is not really as much need for filters IMO.

That said, the D600 files are fantastic and you can push the shadows much harder than the 5DII in post. That was a big selling point for me. I returned the D600 and got a D800 refurb...haven't gotten it yet so no comment.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

Before I go further, I'm really curious what prices you're expecting to pay. I cannot fathom a situation where a 5D mkII is more expensive than a brand new 6D + 2 lenses. Either this CostCo deal is simply amazing or your prices are off.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Before I go further, I'm really curious what prices you're expecting to pay. I cannot fathom a situation where a 5D mkII is more expensive than a brand new 6D + 2 lenses. Either this CostCo deal is simply amazing or your prices are off.

That's what I was also thinking. 5d2's can be had for $1200. There is no way that D600 deal beats that. Maybe he meant to say the 5D3 which has been occasionally floating around $2700.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM
hyogen

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

I finally got the okay from the wife and am looking to going full frame from an old Rebel T1i (500D). I have the choice to go with either 5D I or II, d700, or d600..... I think I'm going with D600 I kinda wish it still had only 12MP, though. I would go with 5D mark I and make things easier and have more money left for more lenses...but I think it's time to make the switch. This D600 has to last me for the next 5+ years and I can't be without video mode

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:18 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

RRRoger wrote:

really because in my hands the D600 feels like a toy. I feel like I'm being punked each time I grab it. I hate the small grip of the D600... HATE. the Canon 5d/mII/mIII all feel WAY better in hand than the D600. I've owned the 5d and the Mark II and shot with a 5d Miii

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

hyogen wrote:
I finally got the okay from the wife and am looking to going full frame from an old Rebel T1i (500D). I have the choice to go with either 5D I or II, d700, or d600..... I think I'm going with D600 I kinda wish it still had only 12MP, though. I would go with 5D mark I and make things easier and have more money left for more lenses...but I think it's time to make the switch. This D600 has to last me for the next 5+ years and I can't be without video mode

the 5dmII is an excellent camera if you pair it with the right lenses. personally owning a d600 I'd gladly trade it for a 5dmii any day of the week. The 5d is also an excellent camera but you need video which it doesn't have also a max ISO of 3200 can be rough.

The D600 isn't a bad camera but the only thing i'm liking about it is it's DR

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

I switched from Canon to Nikon and the reason was actually because of the F5. I had a 1Ds and sold it and once I used the F5, i was impressed with the build of the nIkon - even better than the 1Ds.

So naturally when I went back to digital in October, I decided to go with Nikon. There was no offering from Canon in the same price range as the D700 that had the same build quality. The 5D2, while it has great IQ, is simply a 40/50D with a full frame sensor - not the best build.

I think the D600 build is more or less the same as the 5D2. My buddy just bought one and when I shoot with him next time, I will compare the 600 with my 700. I would get what fits your needs the best. I got my D700 for around $1200. Money left over for a lens!

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:34 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

RRRoger wrote:

Dpedraza wrote:
really because in my hands the D600 feels like a toy. I feel like I'm being punked each time I grab it. I hate the small grip of the D600... HATE. the Canon 5d/mII/mIII all feel WAY better in hand than the D600. I've owned the 5d and the Mark II and shot with a 5d Miii

Adding a grip to the D600 makes a huge difference.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:58 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

I moved from the Canon 5D to a Nikon D700 about three years ago, liberating funds from my Canon kit, which included quite a few lenses with red rings, to finance my Nikon kit. I've spent a week shooting with the D800 and have handled the D600. The D800 files are simply more than I care to handle. The D600 is a very nice compromise in terms of file size and it appears the sensor is another home run for Nikon/Sony. But I haven't bought one yet, in part because of the less impressive build quality and reported problems with dust and oil. The D700 is such a great camera with build quality second to none, and performance that is more than satisfactory for my needs, I don't know when I'll upgrade. It actually has an AF system that works and low light performance that if not up to current standards is still excellent.

All of that is to say, picking up a low mileage D700 for around $1,500 would not be a bad option for someone who wants to sample what Nikon has to offer with a first class product. And if you go to Nikon, don't forget to check out their amazing collection of manual focus lenses, many of which can be bought for a song. Good luck sorting this out.

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:03 PM
lsutigerfan
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

moved from 5d2 to d800...and have had everything in between (d70,d80,d7000, 40d, 50d, rebel xs). The d600 would've been the body I'd bought had it been announced when I bought the 800. I didn't (don't) need 36MP...but the "headroom" is nice. Files are gorgeous!! I looked at my older 5d2 files the other day and noticed how much banding is in files when pushed a few stops in LR4. Not even close to Nikon's sensors (incl. the d600).

Mainly, I switched for 2 reasons, though: 1) UWA lenses (16-35VR & 14-24) and 2) newer, cheaper primes (50/1.8g; 85/1.8g).

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D600 vs Canon 5D, 5D mkII, 5D mkIII

leighton w wrote:
Adding a grip to the D600 makes a huge difference.

got one and I still don't like it much. I'm talking camera no grip the 5d(any of the 3) feel MUCH better in hand all day everyday than the tiny D600.
this camera doesn't impress me much

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.