Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

Timmeh
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

After Dante's Peak New year's morning (here if interested), my wife and I rented one of the Jeeps at Furnace Creek and headed off to the Race Track. I think I'll echo Fred's daughter's sentiments that being all alone before sunrise/after sunset wandering around the playa is kinda creepy. (Badwater gave me the same creepy feeling New Year's eve after sunset). After the wonderful clouds in the morning at Dante's View, the skies around the Race Track were stubbornly empty. I'm sure I'll be making a return trip.

Tim

#1 All alone

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    TS-E24mm f/3.5L II lens    24mm    f/5.6    5s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

#2 On the Way Out

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24mm f/1.4L II USM lens    24mm    f/2.8    15s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Timmeh
• •
p.1 #2 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

Death Valley fatigue I guess?

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:36 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

I kind of enjoy being there alone in the evening, at night, and especially at sunrise. :-)

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Timmeh
• •
p.1 #4 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

Being exceptionally alone is something I enjoy quite a lot (I am introverted after all), so I think I'll change the feeling from creepy to awe at the vast openness of my surroundings combined with a bit of "am I walking towards where I parked?" anxiety. It's hard to find a car when you park on a non-descript turn out and wander for more than a mile on terrain that looks the same for more than a miles in either direction. I think I would have preferred to just sit down and watch the milky way move across the sky rather than trying to find the jeep (so I could make it back to Furnace Creek before the restaurant kitchen closes).

Tim

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:49 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

Tim... I like the open-ness you captured in the first one. I hear you on the unique feelings that stir when in these places alone. Your imagination fires up and it can be quite unsettling. Having said that... it's not something most people get to experience, so when I was in Death Valley a couple of years back, I did my best to "enjoy" that eerie feeling.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

Oh, Wow! I love both of the photos..

I will have tons of questions because of my up-coming travel.. Please pay attention to my inquiries...

Thanks,

Kee

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM
paul0510
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

Is image #2 a new 'Tea Kettle Junction' or, God forbid, a replacement?

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

paul0510 wrote:
Is image #2 a new 'Tea Kettle Junction' or, God forbid, a replacement?

was just going to ask the same thing. looks like the NPS updated the old sign.... a shame really...

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Timmeh
• •
p.1 #9 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

I hadn't been before, so I never knew the original sign. This was at Tea Jettle Junction, so I guess the sign has been changed.

Tim

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:56 PM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #10 · New Year's Day at the Race Track

Love the mood of the racetrack photo. Nice color and comp.
Lonnie

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:03 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password