New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Colorado River - Grand Canyon Lens Advice

NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Colorado River - Grand Canyon Lens Advice

I'm heading back to the Grand Canyon this May on a commercial raft trip. I floated the river back in 2009 on a private permit so I know what to expect. However, back in '09 I was rowing a raft every day which when combined with camp chores left little energy for photos. This time I'm a paying customer so I expect to have much more time to take pictures. I've been going through my catalog from the previous trip and see that I used the 16-35 at 16mm pretty often, and could have gone wider at times. So here's my question.

I'll be taking the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-300L lenses with my 5D2 and 5D3. Unless Canon hurries up and releases the rumored 14-24, I'd like to bring along either a 14mm or 17 ts-e lens. But which one? For the 14 it would be between the 14L and the Samyang 14. The 17 ts-e would require more from me to get the same FOV as the 14 but might pay off with unique photos the 14s just can't get. I'm completely undecided which would be better in this case but I do think the 17 would be of more use once home again. Any thoughts?

From a camp on my last trip.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Colorado River - Grand Canyon Lens Advice

Sounds like you're keen on the 17.

Is weight an issue? The 16-35 or 24-70 might be redundant.

14mm, 16-35, 70-300?

17mm, 24-70, 70-300?

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:10 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Colorado River - Grand Canyon Lens Advice

Paul Mo wrote:
Sounds like you're keen on the 17.

Is weight an issue? The 16-35 or 24-70 might be redundant.

14mm, 16-35, 70-300?

17mm, 24-70, 70-300?

I hadn't thought about that option, to leave the 16-35 home. I need to check with the raft co. about weight. On the raft it won't be an issue but we do fly out of the Canyon in a helicopter and then a small plane back up to Marble Canyon. There might be weight restrictions there. Not sure if I'd want to leave the wide zoom home though. I'd really have to look back over my previous pics to see how much I used the 17-24mm range.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Colorado River - Grand Canyon Lens Advice

How are you planning on storing your gear on the raft? When I read your title I was thinking G!X in an under water housing.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:02 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Colorado River - Grand Canyon Lens Advice

If you are limited for weight, I would stay with the three lenses you mentioned, and would never consider leaving the 16-35 behind. You did not say if your 16-35 was a II version, which is nicer than the original, but in either case you want that lens along. There are a lot of shots where you have no time and/or no possibility to "foot zoom", so the real zoom lenses you are taking are ideal.

I think my raft trip down the Grand Canyon was mostly shot with my 16-35 and my 24-105 on a 5D, with only occasional need for my longer zoom. I had nothing wider than the 16-35 along, but I doubt I would have made use of a 14 if I had one then. You did not mention if you will have a good tripod along, but if I was taking a 17mm TS-E lens I would for sure want a tripod. For hand held shooting the 16-35 is likely as good a choice as the 17. Also remember that a TS-E lens is not really sealed at all, so the risk of moisture or sand getting in at the tilt or shift areas and causing problems with an expensive 17mm TS-E is another factor to consider.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:08 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Colorado River - Grand Canyon Lens Advice

Jeff Nolten wrote:
How are you planning on storing your gear on the raft? When I read your title I was thinking G!X in an under water housing.

I have a Pelican Case 1500 size I think that has worked on raft trips. I also have several dry bag options but I'll certainly check with the outfitter to see what they recommend. Much of the river is flat water and I will want access to my gear in the quiet stretches.

'llI have some sort of compact along for the wet side hikes. Not sure if I'll go as far as a waterproof housing though it is a good idea.

Edited on Jan 10, 2013 at 08:35 AM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:19 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Colorado River - Grand Canyon Lens Advice

Roland W wrote:
If you are limited for weight, I would stay with the three lenses you mentioned, and would never consider leaving the 16-35 behind. You did not say if your 16-35 was a II version, which is nicer than the original, but in either case you want that lens along. There are a lot of shots where you have no time and/or no possibility to "foot zoom", so the real zoom lenses you are taking are ideal.

I think my raft trip down the Grand Canyon was mostly shot with my 16-35 and my 24-105 on a 5D, with only
...Show more

My wide zoom is a 16-35Ii. Good point about sand and the 17 ts-e. I was worried about the exposed front element on that lens and didn't think about the movement mechanism. I will have a tripod along but most likely it will be stowed away while on the raft. I'll have access to it while in camp though. I will also bring a compact along for the wet side hikes.

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:32 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.