Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

ndirienzo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

Alright, so I'm in the market for a 5Diii, and came across what seemed like a great deal on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-22-3-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Kit-w-EF-24-105mm-/251210436639?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item3a7d4f101f

A pretty good price after you sold the lens. The buyer's feedback shows they've sold a number 5D3 kits, and the feedback is all positive. So, I email asking if it comes with a receipt from an authorized dealer. Below is the response

I have sold over 200 canons on ebay and nearly 1000 at our
store. Not one of our customers have ever needed more than the warranty
card but to answer your question yes but you wont need it. Should you we
got it.

The didn't really answer my question about the authorized dealer thing, so I politely explained why you need a receipt. At this point I'm not going to buy the camera, but am just curious as to what the deal is, and if he was avoiding the question. Anyway, his response

Again you are probably correct if you dont send the warranty card in prior to needing service then you are probably going to need a receipt. I always wait to register my products until my first contact with that company. As to extend the warranty they typically go by when you say you purchased unless the product shelf life has expired then almost certainly a receipt is need to proved your warranty is still valid beyond the shelf life. Everyone alway say to me the receipt thing followed by the authorized dealer stuff. Another myth. Fact of the matter is no matter where the camera was purchased at some point it came from an authorized dealer and Canon knows which dealer by the serial number. Again if you want a receipt I can provide one but if you register your product you will be warrantied from the day they receive and will not need a receipt.

Am I missing something here? I mean, it's ebay, so it wouldn't surprise me that people are misleading others into thinking they would get a warranty. The guy is also spewing a bit of BS. I know Canon stopped caring if new lenses were grey market as long as they were purchased from an authorized dealer, but I don't see how they'd stop caring about the original receipt from an authorized dealer. Otherwise everyone would just wait until their camera had a problem to register it. Is everyone buying one of these cameras being tricked into thinking they have a full warranty?

Like I said, at this point, I'm not interested in buying from this guy. I'd rather spend $200 more and get one from BH or Adorama and not worry about it. There are several sellers that have histories of selling 5Diii kits, all with positive feedback. The pricing is always a good bit below current retail. I'm just genuinely curious as to how these people scrounge up 20 cameras to sell at a price well below any of the major retailers. Are they actual dealers that are selling genuine product through a non-associated ebay account?

Anyone have any experience buying from this sort of seller?

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

Mmmm, eastcoastryder, huh? Keep an eye out for specials at Adorama or B&H, Canon returns or here on the B&S boards. Just my 10 cents.

There are ways and means to become a seller, but from what I know it's very expensive. As for this seller, he may be legitimate and trying to build an online business but have a strange taste for names.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:12 AM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.1 #3 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

Paul Mo wrote:
Mmmm, eastcoastryder, huh? Keep an eye out for specials at Adorama or B&H, Canon returns or here on the B&S boards. Just my 10 cents.

Oh yea, I lost interest as soon as he didn't answer my question about being an authorized dealer. His follow up response just made me curious.

I got a couple months before I'm even back in the states, so I don't mind waiting for a good deal from an actual dealer (or here on the boards)

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:16 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

$3300 for a 5D3 kit doesn't strike me as being cheap and only is a bill or so from major dealer (with big overhead) prices.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:17 AM
wardy

p.1 #5 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

I agree...I sent a seller a email about a 1D4 with a 85L for $2500 buy it now!! Knew it was a scam from the get go, I know of NO "Reputable" seller anywhere that would give away a combo like that. Listing said not to bid, to send a email to some gmail address and the BIN price was $2500, I asked him if he was a authorized dealer, if it was a US model and how he could sell at such a cheap price..needless to say, I never got a message back.

I'd rather pay a little more for a piece of mind than get completely ripped off! Buy from here or another trustworthy site such as B&H, Adorama or Abes of Maine.

YMMV

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:52 AM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.1 #6 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

Yea, this one isn't a scam... people are getting their cameras. I've seen what you're talking about and those are obviously scams I'm more wondering about who these people are, and how they go about claiming you still have a warranty.

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Jess Edward
• • •
p.1 #7 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

Im pretty sure that by the time you need to use the warranty it will be too late to leave negative feedback so they just say whatever they want. You definitely need a receipt to prove you bought your camera from an authorized dealer. I just had to take my 5D MkIII in to Canon for a repair and they made me print out a copy of my receipt before they would look at it.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:54 AM
campy
• •
p.1 #8 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

I am a Canon authorized service center for their printers and if you don't have a receipt and it's a newer model they go back to it's introduction date and if it falls within the one year of that date they will cover the repair. When I sent a lens to Sony they required a sales receipt along with it to show when it was purchased. That's when the warranty started not when it was registered.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #9 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

ndirienzo wrote:
people are getting their cameras.

That is not enough. There are cameras with altered serial numbers around. Scroll down a little at the following link to see the forged and genuine ones:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1242404&page=5

That's a long thread, but to summarise: the serial number was altered somewhere in the supply chain (so it does not match the EXIF), and now, not only will Canon UK not warranty them, they will not work on them at any price.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

Taking me a while to read through but OUCH!

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM
bobsofpa
• • •
p.1 #11 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

wardy wrote:
II'd rather pay a little more for a piece of mind than get completely ripped off! Buy from here or another trustworthy site such as B&H, Adorama or Abes of Maine.

YMMV

Is there more than one Abes of Maine?? The Abes of Maine I know was kicked out of Maine by the Attorney General for running a scam business. That is why they have a New York address.

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:03 PM
wardy

p.1 #12 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

bobsofpa wrote:
Is there more than one Abes of Maine?? The Abes of Maine I know was kicked out of Maine by the Attorney General for running a scam business. That is why they have a New York address.

That I don't know...I have never purchased from Abes of Maine all my stuff has come from Adorama, Here, POTN and eBay...a local photog had mentioned them before so I assumed they were legit. Apparently not huh! Glad I haven't purchased from them and thanks for the insight on them!

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:20 PM
ardvorak
• •
p.1 #13 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

I purchased mine from an FMer. Couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM
hugodrax
• • •
p.1 #14 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

I would stick with reputable vendors. When I ordered my 6D it had an issue with Wifi not working I contacted B&H and they sent me an RMA and UPS label and I got a new fully functional 6D back from them. No hassles etc..

Why try to pinch a few pennies on a big purchase such as a camera.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:13 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

Keep an eye on Canon Price Watch They list current deals and indicate if they are a authorized dealer or not.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/03868/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-price.html

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:48 AM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.1 #16 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

hugodrax wrote:
I would stick with reputable vendors. When I ordered my 6D it had an issue with Wifi not working I contacted B&H and they sent me an RMA and UPS label and I got a new fully functional 6D back from them. No hassles etc..

Why try to pinch a few pennies on a big purchase such as a camera.

Yea, not trying to pinch pennies, but if I can save a few hundred then it might be worth it... assuming it has a warranty, that is.

Pretty crazy about the SN switching in the linked thread.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:20 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · What's the deal with cheap, new cameras on Ebay?

ndirienzo wrote:
Yea, not trying to pinch pennies, but if I can save a few hundred then it might be worth it... assuming it has a warranty, that is.

One man's penny is another's benjamin...

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:01 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password