Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-F...

scottad
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-Fi card to RAW files?

I'm currently shooting with a Canon 5DIII. I typically shoot RAW files to the CF card and small (~1MB) jpeg's to an Eye-Fi card in the SD card slot. This works out nicely for me, as I get small "preview" jpg's on my web site almost instantly, and I still have the benefit for the RAW files to work on later as time permits.

I just let the Eye-Fi card perpetually write over itself (the jpeg's are generally uploaded to my web site within hours of shooting). The Eye-Fi jpeg's are mostly for quickly sharing the images; I don't archive these jpeg's. The RAW files are backed up, converted to DNG, brought into Lightroom, edited, etc. If it matters, I'm using the latest version of Lightroom 4.3 on a Mac (OS X 10.8.2).

My issue is -- the Eye-Fi jpeg's have "GPS"/location data embedded in the files, and I was wondering if it's possible to somehow transfer this location data to the RAW/DNG files? Any ideas on how this might be accomplished?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:47 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-Fi card to RAW files?

I am not sure I understand you question. but this may help.

If you use the Canon GP-E2 GPS on the 5D III it will GPS tag any RAW files for JPG files created by the camera. Just mount the GP-E2 in the flash shoe and set to the ON position.

If the GP-E2 tagged the RAW files with GPS coordinates the conversion to DNG format should keep those GPS tags intact.

for files with no GPS tagging:

The software included with the GP-E2 has Map Utility. With Map Utility you can select a file or set of files in Map Utility. Then use the map to pinpoint a position and tag the files with the GPS coordinates.

Another program that makes GPS tagging of files easy is ExifChanger in the Mac App store.
The program allows you to edit all EXIF data in a file, and GPS tag a file by selecting a locaton on a map.
http://basepath.com/site/

This FM thread has more Geotagging info:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1172369/0?keyword=bosque#11175567

Canon GP-E2 GPS receiver

image GEO tagged using the Canon GP-E2 GPS

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF400mm f/5.6L USM lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jan 09, 2013 at 10:12 PM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:04 PM
scottad
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-Fi card to RAW files?

Thanks for the response, and sorry if I wasn't very clear in my original post.

Basically, my situation boils down to this: I have 2 versions of each picture I take - the original RAW file (withOUT location data), and a small ~1MB jpeg (WITH location data). I want to find a way to somehow automatically transfer the location data from the jpeg to the RAW (or DNG) file. (Ideally some sort of Lightroom plugin or similar.)

Thanks!

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:10 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-Fi card to RAW files?

I understood your question. I am not aware of any way you can update a RAW or DNG file

Using the GP-E2 GPS would GPS tag your RAW file when you take it.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #5 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-Fi card to RAW files?

scottad wrote:
My issue is -- the Eye-Fi jpeg's have "GPS"/location data embedded in the files, and I was wondering if it's possible to somehow transfer this location data to the RAW/DNG files? Any ideas on how this might be accomplished?

It is my understanding that the Eye-Fi cards use WPS which notes nearby wireless networks and a database to determine location. Without a real GPS receiver, this won't do any good if you are far from any wifi network (like shooting wildlife out in the wilds). It probably will work "ok" in a studio or in a densely populated area.

Many people use a GPS logger and software which time correlates the images and updates the exif info.

Art

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sashi
• •
p.1 #6 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-Fi card to RAW files?

scottad wrote:
Thanks for the response, and sorry if I wasn't very clear in my original post.

Basically, my situation boils down to this: I have 2 versions of each picture I take - the original RAW file (withOUT location data), and a small ~1MB jpeg (WITH location data). I want to find a way to somehow automatically transfer the location data from the jpeg to the RAW (or DNG) file. (Ideally some sort of Lightroom plugin or similar.)

Thanks!

Scott

It is possible to do that, but you would need a tool/script to do that. The best one I can recommend is ExifTool by Phil Harvey. It's command line, and most of the commonly used commands are also available on his website. http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

While I have no experience along these lines with mainstream photo databasing tools (Adobe, Capture One etc), I think that this might be possible even among the mainstream software.

HTH

Sashi

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:50 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-Fi card to RAW files?

Sashi,

EXIFchanger has the EXIFtool program built into the GUI. (MAC app store or website)
The program that makes GPS tagging of files easy is ExifChanger in the Mac App store.
The program allows you to edit all EXIF data in a file, and GPS tag a file by selecting a locaton on a map.
http://basepath.com/site/

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Sashi
• •
p.1 #8 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-Fi card to RAW files?

Abqnmusa

Thanks for the heads-up. I do not use a Mac (nor an iPhone) so am not aware of this app.

So the OP has an option of using the base software (ExifTool) which is free, and then do some basic command line scripting, or he can choose to get this app which allows easier user interactions.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #9 · 5DIII - possible to transfer GPS/location data from Eye-Fi card to RAW files?

I use geosetter to quickly geotag paired raw files to small jpegs--using I-got-u.

http://www.geosetter.de/en/

No coding and pretty fast.
From software description:

" •Synchronization with already geo tagged images with buddy images (e.g. between RAW images and their corresponding JPEG images)"

Did I mention it is free?

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password