Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · scratch on lens

cheeky

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · scratch on lens

Hi all....Ive just bought a second hand canon 1.4 convertor...it has arrived with a scratch on the lens...advert said no returns....Ive taken a couple of pics inside and cant see the scratch would this be the same outside from distance...excuse my ignorance!!..Thanks in anticipation :-)

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Betacamman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · scratch on lens

Generally, a scratch won't be visible in your shots. But you might take some outside shots with a small aperture just in case.

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:26 PM
cheeky

p.1 #3 · scratch on lens

Thanks....I will try that :-)

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:37 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · scratch on lens

Was it advertised with a scratch?

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:40 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · scratch on lens

Have to say, of all the lenses I wouldn't want a scratch on a teleconverter would be near the top.

On most lenses it won't show up or at worst can lead to a slight loss of contrast in some areas but a teleconverter has a tough job to do and even though it might not show up with some lenses it could show up with others.

I would do some major testing and be prepared to complain if the seller hadn't mentioned it

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:41 PM
cheeky

p.1 #6 · scratch on lens

Thanks for your speedy responses...no it was NOT advertised with a scratch...great condition only used a couple of times was the ad.

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · scratch on lens

If you bought it on eBay, then you could open a complaint on the basis that the item is not as described. It's usually good to do this sooner, rather than later, as lots of time has to elapse before a final resolution will be imposed. You should advise the seller that you intend to do this (which allows you to tick the "did you tell the seller?" box), but don't wait more than a few days to get a reply...

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:28 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · scratch on lens

If you used paypal you can also lodge a claim, do this soon also.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:38 PM
cheeky

p.1 #9 · scratch on lens

I have sent email to seller...awaiting response!!

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · scratch on lens

cheeky wrote:
Thanks for your speedy responses...no it was NOT advertised with a scratch...great condition only used a couple of times was the ad.

I would not accept that "no returns" business, since the lens is "damaged" and unless the advertisement said "damaged" or "blemished" lenses, they sold you something other than what you thought you were buying.

However, if you got a truly tremendous deal on it and the scratch is very minor, you might just make a few shots with it to see if it works OK and live with it.

Your call.

Dan

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · scratch on lens

"No returns" does not apply to damaged or incorrectly described items. You are doing the right thing to contact the seller for adjustment or return. If that fails, take the steps recommended by eBay and Paypal.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:30 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #12 · scratch on lens

dhphoto wrote:
Have to say, of all the lenses I wouldn't want a scratch on a teleconverter would be near the top.

On most lenses it won't show up or at worst can lead to a slight loss of contrast in some areas but a teleconverter has a tough job to do and even though it might not show up with some lenses it could show up with others.

I would do some major testing and be prepared to complain if the seller hadn't mentioned it

+1

Most people would say that scratches won't affect image quality, but generally people think of scratches on the front element because that's where scratches normally happen. Scratches on the front element have the least effect. But I wouldn't want anything on the rear element and teleconverter.

Gunzorro wrote:
"No returns" does not apply to damaged or incorrectly described items. You are doing the right thing to contact the seller for adjustment or return. If that fails, take the steps recommended by eBay and Paypal.

Keep in mind though that eBay requires buyers to ask questions before bidding. I know someone who rightfully filed claims with eBay and got his account suspended because he filed too many claims and had too many refunds. And that's like 10 out of 200 or so. He called eBay for explanation and one of the reasons eBay told him was a transaction for a couple of $2 lens caps from HK. He said the caps were not as advertised. He contacted the seller and they offered partial refund to keep the caps.

The merit of this story is, even though you may not be in the wrong, bid on eBay with full caution and don't fully rely on the eBay's so-called protection program. It's very misleading.

After knowing the whole story, I am very cautious when using eBay nowadays. What eBay do is mostly to protect themselves and their business.

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:29 PM
cheeky

p.1 #13 · scratch on lens

I will get someone with more experience than me to check it out fully I think...still awaiting response from seller...thanks for all your help :-)

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · scratch on lens

Wahoowa wrote:
Keep in mind though that eBay requires buyers to ask questions before bidding.

Not in my experience. If an item doesn't match its description, you have valid grounds for a complaint.

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #15 · scratch on lens

jcolwell wrote:
Not in my experience. If an item doesn't match its description, you have valid grounds for a complaint.

That had always been my thought. But if you believe you're fully protected against INAD, that's not always the case. Of course, if you do a few, you might be just fine. But if you continue to file INAD claims, even though you rightfully do so, eBay will consider you as a threat to the community (well, actually, their business).

If you know the whole story and do a little more on this, you wouldn't be surprised why people call eBay evil.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · scratch on lens

Wahoowa wrote:
...If you know the whole story and do a little more on this, you wouldn't be surprised why people call eBay evil.

I'm rarely surprised by what people say. I don't necessarily agree with them. I've been active eBay buyer and seller for over ten years, currently with feedback of 604, 100% positive (with one 'neutral' a few years ago) . I've seen a lot and been through some tough situations. Overall, eBay is a fine place to do business, if you are keep your wits about you and don't panic.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:08 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · scratch on lens

Wahoowa wrote:
Most people would say that scratches won't affect image quality, but generally people think of scratches on the front element because that's where scratches normally happen. Scratches on the front element have the least effect. But I wouldn't want anything on the rear element and teleconverter.

That's a good point. While I can't comment directly on the teleconverter issue, not owning one, I can say that in my experience a) front element "stuff" is usually pretty insignificant and often not worth worrying about, but b) stuff on the rear element can affect things in different an possibly more significant ways in some cases.

Dan

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password