Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

Would like to get my PC-E's (24, 45 & 85) modded, but I see where Nikon wants $350.00 for each. Not comfortable in doing this myself. Have any of you used other sources for the Mod's? If so who and how much did they charge and were you happy? Would love the added ability but not at $350.00 a pop !

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:57 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

You sure about that? Where did you "see" that price?

I have an email from them.

"HI

Thanks for the email. The PC lens can be modified so that the movements are parallel for $126 (plus tax and shipping). You could choose with or without the larger knobs. For Nikon Service information please see..."

If you have skills you can do the 24mm yourself (although it will void the warranty). The other lengths take a longer inner cable I think.

Take my email and send to Nikon service and see what they write back with.

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:07 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #3 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

ckcarr wrote:
You sure about that? Where did you "see" that price?

I have an email from them.

"HI

Thanks for the email. The PC lens can be modified so that the movements are parallel for $126 (plus tax and shipping). You could choose with or without the larger knobs. For Nikon Service information please see..."

If you have skills you can do the 24mm yourself (although it will void the warranty). The other lengths take a longer inner cable I think.

Take my email and send to Nikon service and see what they write back with.

Did a search on the FM Board early this AM and came across a post on the $350.00 quote from El Segundo. That kind of threw me. Maybe I need to do a service request and see what comes back. For $126 each, I would get them in a box to Nikon CA tomorrow

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:18 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #4 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

So much for an estimate from Nikon............

"We cannot provide you with an estimate at this time. You will need to send your product directly to Nikon in order to determine the cost to repair your product. We apologize for this inconvenience."

So, I'll have to spend a small fortune in UPS Insured to find out what's behind door number 3

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:15 PM
turbodude
• • •
p.1 #5 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

call and speak to a rep.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:51 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #6 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

turbodude wrote:
call and speak to a rep.

I sent a roboform inquiry in with the details and asked for an high/low estimate. Should have an answer within 24 hours - will post when it comes in.

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:03 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

I did the 24mm myself. Its super easy. The other lenses require a cable extension.

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:03 AM
ja_joyce
• •
p.1 #8 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

lxdesign wrote:
I did the 24mm myself. Its super easy. The other lenses require a cable extension.

Me too, it takes a minute. Just unscrew 4 screws, lift and rotate. Easier than cleaning a sensor IMO. I'm pretty sure you can do the 45 yourself as well. The 85 does require a new cable.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:37 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #9 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

No answer yet from Nikon

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:15 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #10 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

ja_joyce wrote:
Me too, it takes a minute. Just unscrew 4 screws, lift and rotate. Easier than cleaning a sensor IMO. I'm pretty sure you can do the 45 yourself as well. The 85 does require a new cable.

But, self repair would void the warranty. I still have 2 years left.

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ja_joyce
• •
p.1 #11 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

lukeb wrote:
But, self repair would void the warranty. I still have 2 years left.

If you need to send it in just put it back to the factory configuration. You don't break any seals or anything like that.

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:46 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #12 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

Got a message back from Nikon CS - they advised the cost of replacing the knobs with the larger ones would be $90.00 per lens. Still waiting for the estimates for the T&S Mods.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:31 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

I would not waste my money on the knobs.
I think they said it was free to do that at the time for me. Bigger knob on the 24mm pc-e may restrict movement (rotation) depending on the body.

Be interesting to see if they came up with the same general amount for you as they quoted me. Or perhaps they are now reaming everyone for everything...

You can easily do the 24mm yourself. However, I have read on Nikonians or somewhere that a person did their 45mm on their own and the cable started rubbing and then the lens quit working properly.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:33 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #14 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

ckcarr wrote:
I would not waste my money on the knobs.
I think they said it was free to do that at the time for me. Bigger knob on the 24mm pc-e may restrict movement (rotation) depending on the body.

Be interesting to see if they came up with the same general amount for you as they quoted me. Or perhaps they are now reaming everyone for everything...

You can easily do the 24mm yourself. However, I have read on Nikonians or somewhere that a person did their 45mm on their own and the cable started rubbing and then the lens quit working properly.

Well, the way I look at it, you put $2K in a lens, the pucker factor alone would cause me to have serious reservations about a DIY job. Then, times that x 3 - and I'd be checking into the nearest nut house.

Nikon has responded with a question about what cameras the modded PC-E's would be used on, which I have answered. So, I think they will be giving me a price shortly.

Appreciate the heads-up on the knobs!

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:48 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

lukeb wrote:
Well, the way I look at it, you put $2K in a lens, the pucker factor alone would cause me to have serious reservations about a DIY job. Then, times that x 3 - and I'd be checking into the nearest nut house.

Trust me, I was plenty nervous opening up and rotating the 24mm pc-e. Not because of the innards, but using jewelers screwdriver, if I would have slipped and wrecked a screw... That would have been telltale and enough to void any warranty...

Getting back to knobs. I am thinking of moving/swiching the small knob off my 45mm pc-e to the big knob location on the 24mm pc-e to see if it will then rotate a full 180 degrees on the D800e. Right now it will bump against the mirror box. Not sure if this is even doable.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:22 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #16 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

ckcarr wrote:
Trust me, I was plenty nervous opening up and rotating the 24mm pc-e. Not because of the innards, but using jewelers screwdriver, if I would have slipped and wrecked a screw... That would have been telltale and enough to void any warranty...

Getting back to knobs. I am thinking of moving/swiching the small knob off my 45mm pc-e to the big knob location on the 24mm pc-e to see if it will then rotate a full 180 degrees on the D800e. Right now it will bump against the mirror box. Not sure if this is even doable.

You betcha-believeit on the screw damage or inadvertent paint removal - I do take very good care of my goodies. All my old manual lenses still look like new.

Forgot to mention - I did fax in a request for estimate to APS this AM.

Nikon has responded they are working up a ballpark estimate. Excellent communications from them today!

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:43 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #17 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

you should be using JIS screwdrivers, not jewelry tools on camera gear.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:52 PM
turbodude
• • •
p.1 #18 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

ckcarr wrote:

that would be awesome, i would love to do this!

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:55 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #19 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

Zebrabot wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:22 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · PC-E Mods - Who Else besides Nikon ?

Zebrabot wrote:

Correction, that was what I used.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password