Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · BBAll w speed lights Thanks you guys

amlsml
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · BBAll w speed lights Thanks you guys

Appreciate the help on my last post. I took some advice from Max and set the 2 speed lights sb800 behind the basket and aimed at the Key, I gelled them green and set to fluorescent, I also shot a quarter with an CWB.
Ambient in this gym is 2.8, 640 iso 10k or 12,800, there are hot spots due to the pendant lighting. Set Speed lights to manual 1/2 power on TT5 and TT1 mounted on camera. Dropped Iso down a touch and also experimented with 500 shutter speeds. I was happier with the more consistent color balance, but still feel like the light isn't quite right? suggestions? Most of these are only cropped and straightened. All w the D3s 24-70, shot some with 70-200 and a few w the 300. camera set to 1/250(fp) Appreciate the help

light set up

NIKON D3S    140mm    f/2.8    1/640s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  

second light

NIKON D3S    24mm    f/2.8    1/640s    10000 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    200mm    f/2.8    1/500s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    70mm    f/2.8    1/500s    10000 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    75mm    f/2.8    1/640s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:23 PM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #2 · BBAll w speed lights Thanks you guys

Not bad as light to fill shadows, but to still be at 8000+ for your ISO kind of defeats the purpose of putting light on the court. What would happen if the speedlights were direct instead of bounced?

bb

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:35 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · BBAll w speed lights Thanks you guys

Looks like you are getting color shift off of those sodium lights.

In your second image, look at the difference between the 2 lights in the top of the frame. One is very pink/magenta. That is a big part of your problem, not all the lights are the same. I see waves of that magenta in the other images as well.

Overall the images look pretty nice (considering that color shifting), but I agree that if you are going through the trouble to strobe, you should not have to be at a high ISO. I would think that if you can't get under 2K ISO, you need to revise your tactics.

Paul

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #4 · BBAll w speed lights Thanks you guys

It looks like you have a diffuser on the speedlights. If you want to bounce the light off the ceiling I would take the diffuser off and zoom the speedlight to its maximum zoom setting.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · BBAll w speed lights Thanks you guys

pull the diffuser. you lose a lot of light doing that. Also, rather than bounce, have the light go direct.

drbob and paul, there is a major difference between shooting ISO 8000 ambient, and with supporting lights. Just look at some of Dave blacks work, he regularly shot at ISO 5000 and up and loved the look he got.

Also, in order to overpower ambient, you usually need something more than a few hotshoe flashes. Mono's or packs require external power or large batteries, and other pieces.

I've shot in small college venues before, using only 4 hotshoe flashes and clamps, with the PW ControlTL system. I fit all of that plus my usual lenses and bodies in a backpack. I covered one team, so I shot offense for both halves, and literally moved the lights over from one half court to the other at halftime.

While mixing light leads to some color casts, if the supporting hotshoe lights provide 50% of the ambient, then they temper the white balance well enough that you can still batch it in Lightroom, or use a white balance card and do it in camera.

Is it the best system? No. But I liked that I was able to fit it all in a bag, requiring no lightstands or external batteries (though you could add them if need be). Also, the whole setup was done at one point, rather than several corners, and was easy setup for me to do solo. Especially in some regions, using strobes can still be difficult, due to restrictions by the coaches, team, districts, etc.

Just my thoughts

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:33 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #6 · BBAll w speed lights Thanks you guys

For these lights would you still gell them> i used green in these ? i will pull the diffuser and try some direct. Thanks And I will work on the action as well!

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:20 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · BBAll w speed lights Thanks you guys

I would still gel them. Yes you lose some power by doing so, but remember that by getting the lights to match a complete phase of the ambient, you are evening out the light. If you didn't gel your lights, then you would have some heavy color casting.

By using these lights from a front angle, they not only fill in the subject, but become the dominant light (if you have enough power) and therefore the only major color casts you would get would be in the background, which is not perfect but certainly acceptable vs a color cast on the subject.

I normally gel the Sb-800 with the included gels and leave em as is. if you fold them on their crease well, it holds. But if not, a small piece of scotch tape should help.

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:50 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #8 · BBAll w speed lights Thanks you guys

Thanks Max, i will pull the diffusers, and try more direct lighting , I prefer the look of bounced flash, but in this case, if I up the flash power, the recycle time is too long? if i understand correctly.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password