Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

Rickuz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

Canon is threatening to bring "the might of its legal team” to anyone that attempts to modify at the software level, the features of an EOS-1 camera body. So one can only guess that the firmware community will probably leave the EOS-1D X alone.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/inside-the-canon-eos-1d-c/

From that statement, I get the impression you could very well shoot 4k video with the 1D X if someone were to modify the firmware. Of course the 1D C is twice as expensive and Canon really wants people to pay the premium. Of course they also talk about the heatsink inside the 1D C , but anyway.. We can all guess what this means.

If true, Canon is becoming the new Apple.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:16 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

Definitely looks like they left out features on purpose that only needed to be coded in. Kind of sad, but I'm not surprised. Canon isn't the only company thats ever done that.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

BenV wrote:
Definitely looks like they left out features on purpose that only needed to be coded in. Kind of sad, but I'm not surprised. Canon isn't the only company thats ever done that.

Yes, this is known. But I am pretty sure this is the first time they've actually threatend to take legal actions against the firmware community.

It smells desperate, and I wonder what gives them the right to stop me from modifying something that I have bought?

Edited on Jan 08, 2013 at 10:34 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:32 PM
shmoogy

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

It's probably a combination of:

It's really easy to enable 4k video recording
and
It will damage the camera, or is very easy to cause overheating/problems in the camera.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

shmoogy wrote:
It's probably a combination of:

It's really easy to enable 4k video recording
and
It will damage the camera, or is very easy to cause overheating/problems in the camera.

In that case, Canon is charging around 6000 bucks for a bunch of firmware tweaks and a heatsink.

Edited on Jan 08, 2013 at 10:48 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:37 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

6k for a software update and a $5 heat sink....sounds like a sound investment to me.

Thanks Canon. Kind of takes me back to the original Digital Rebel and the software handicap.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

Rickuz wrote:
Yes, this is known. But I am pretty sure this is the first time they've actually threatend to take legal actions against the firmware community.

It smells desperate, and I wonder what gives them the right to stop me from modifying something that I have bought?

Well they are probably talking about companies that change Canon's software then sell it. It is called copyright infringement. Same as copying your photos and selling them.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:49 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

Well, since Magic Lantern doesn't actually change the software/firmware on the camera, everyone working on that project and freeing up features on the 1DX are safe...

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:50 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

I can't see how Canon has any say in what I might do with something I paid for. People chip their cars all the time to increase performance, put on aftermarket wheels, etc. How is that different?

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

NCAndy wrote:
I can't see how Canon has any say in what I might do with something I paid for. People chip their cars all the time to increase performance, put on aftermarket wheels, etc. How is that different?

You can't do whatever you like when buying software. And that would be a more similar comparison

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:58 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

So I wonder how close the firmware is between the 1dx and the 5dIII...?

Anyone know what the MB/s requirement is for 4k? I think some of the fastest cards are around 70 MB/s in the 5dIII but I'm sure there are other bottlenecks...?

I would be willing to shoot in 3-5 min clips to keep from overheating the camera

If the 5d is hackable I can see why Canon wants to keep this on the DL

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:01 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

Sounds like they crippled up the 1DX video for sure then.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:09 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

godfather wrote:
So I wonder how close the firmware is between the 1dx and the 5dIII...?

Anyone know what the MB/s requirement is for 4k? I think some of the fastest cards are around 70 MB/s in the 5dIII but I'm sure there are other bottlenecks...?

I would be willing to shoot in 3-5 min clips to keep from overheating the camera

If the 5d is hackable I can see why Canon wants to keep this on the DL

It is possible that you need two digics to read out the 1DX sensor fast enough to scale to a great 4k.
If not though then they could have easily made the 5D3 with 1DX sensor and given it crazy good video and blow the competition away in spades and it would've flown off the shelves even faster than the 5D2 and still been at $3500 without a discount to be seen.

If you are a good hacker it implies that you could probably hack it open and turn it into a 1DC yourself and just keep it on the DL and not pass the code around.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

BenV wrote:

Yes, but consider that software development and testing for 4K video was surely extremely expensive but has a tiny pro market potential, hence the hefty 1D C price tag. I'd much rather Canon recoup costs from fat cats willing to pay for 1D C 4K and not the rest of us. Canon could tack another grand onto the 1DX price and thus distribute costs across a larger market, unlock the 4K code and force 1DX sports shooters to pay for 4K video they will never use.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

Gochugogi wrote:
Yes, but consider that software development and testing for 4K video was surely extremely expensive but has a tiny pro market potential, hence the hefty 1D C price tag. I'd much rather Canon recoup costs from fat cats willing to pay for 1D C 4K and not the rest of us. Canon could tack another grand onto the 1DX price and thus distribute costs across a larger market, unlock the 4K code and force 1DX sports shooters to pay for 4K video they will never use.

+1 Yes, yes, yes, exactly!
Funny, we've had people complain that they couldn't buy a 50D without video capability for $75 less, yet when it comes to the 1DX we hear a different story.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:29 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

NCAndy wrote:

Lars Johnsson wrote:
You can't do whatever you like when buying software. And that would be a more similar comparison

You can in Switzerland. There are specific laws for that. Which is one reason why a number of small, interesting military companies are there, because they are explicitly allowed to reverse engineer and mock with things to their heart's content. I grew up there and a close friend worked for one such company

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:18 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

Gochugogi wrote:

Exactly. The cost is not much for what you get and I don't feel that pros would risk using a hacked camera for paying jobs.

EBH

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:26 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

There are several legal frameworks that might come into play here:

* Copyright -- to the extent that one is producing a "derivative work" based on Canon copyright software
* Licensing -- to the extent Canon licenses its embedded software on terms prohibiting reverse engineering/mods
* DCMA -- to the extent that modding their software involves circumventing devices to protect a copyrighted work

Kevin

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

BenV wrote:

It's their company so it's their choice.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:43 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Don't you dare modifying the 1DX, or else!

I wish I have a 1dx to much about.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:32 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.