Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LR4 upgrade

CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · LR4 upgrade

If this doesn't fit the forum delete please. I just upgraded to LR4 and have run into a problem I can't solve. Every time I open my LR cat, all photos are on an ext. HD, I get a popup asking if I want to open the "existing cat" or "upgrade my cat.". You don't really have a choice as it's either upgrade or quit. Well now I have 3 lrcat and it doesn't stop. I went to pref. and said default to lr4 lrcat but it still happens. My frustration is having been "in queue for a total of about 6 hours over 3 days with Adobe customer service and I'm reaching my end with them. It's amazing that they ask you to input you phone no. and they'll call you when it's your turn and then I was on hold another 1 1/2 hrs. before hanging up!
thanks, Robert

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:24 AM
mgutman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · LR4 upgrade

I don't know if this will help you but it is worth a look.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WSBED0E080-63AF-4ba4-ACCF-EC48C4F92D6D.html

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:57 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · LR4 upgrade

Thanks,
I finally got to speak to a adobe tech rep and got it solved though the language barrier left me a little confused about whether I should delete the old LR3 cat or not but I'll keep this to reference.
Robert

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:21 PM
mr.jboy
• • •
p.1 #4 · LR4 upgrade

From what I understand you keep LR3 and creat a new lrcat for LR4, this might help....
Let me Know.

http://vimeo.com/38080956

Jan 13, 2013 at 04:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · LR4 upgrade

You will not need to keep Lr3 going as well as Lr4 because Lr4 can work just like Lr3 until you upgrade from process 2010 to process 2012 for whichever images you choose to upgrade. You can do that one at a time or folder at a time or all at once, but I suggest you only use process 2012 for new images until you are familiar with it. Then convert the old files.

If you do want to keep Lr3 going then it will need its own catalog separate from the copy that you will convert to Lr4. You will probably also want separate image files too because there may be a conflict with the .xmp sidecar files (if you use them, which is the default) or imbedded xmp data. When you copy the old photo files make sure that you copy the entire photo folder structure so that you need only point Lr at the top of the structure to have it find all of the photos.

I choose not to use .xmp files because they are a hassle but I keep lots of backups of my catalog.

Once you convert an Lr3 catalog to Lr4 and point it at the photo files you're good to go in Lr4 but you do not have to convert the files to the new 2012 edit process straight away. Just use it for the new photos that you take from now on, until you get used to it, and then gradually convert the old files too. In the meantime whatever you do on the old files in this Lr4 catalog will look just like Lr3 did and will have the same old adjustment sliders and so on. For this reason there is probably no real need to keep Lr3 alive other than as an emergency backup during the changeover stage.

Note that if you do convert files to the new 2012 process and if you do use .xmp files then those xmp files will be foreign to Lr3. It just gets too messy to work that way, and chances are that you don't really want to run two Lr catalogs with duplicated images and two separate versions of Lr at the same time.

- Alan

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:08 AM
Daniel Smith
• •
p.1 #6 · LR4 upgrade

The telephone jerks at Adobe HELP are worthless. More than 9 hours on hold just trying to find out how to activate Photoshop CS6 on a computer that won't hook up to the Internet. They could never figure it out when I finally got a real person on the phone. I sent it back.

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:46 PM
reggie747
• • •
p.1 #7 · LR4 upgrade

9 hours on hold

That must be some kind of world record.
Where do you get the patience to spend 9 hrs on hold on a phone ?

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:34 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password